M
Just Said Yes August 2018

Honeymoon in the United States.

Micaela, on February 1, 2018 at 12:33 AM Posted in Honeymoon
My fiancé and I want to go somewhere in the United States. Any ideas on destinations?
Share:

26 Comments

• C
    Devoted September 2020
    Caitlin ·
    When, from where are you leaving, what kind of vibe are you looking for (beach, mountains, hot, cold, etc.), what activities do you want to do, and what’s your budget?
  • Katie
    Expert June 2019
    Katie ·
    If you're looking for beach type getaway, my friend went to Hawaii for hers and she loved it.
  • MrsPreach2018
    Master August 2018
    MrsPreach2018 ·
    We're doing Hawaii for 10 days.
  • Chantelle
    Devoted September 2018
    Chantelle ·
    Hawaii for warm and beachy, Colorado for mountains and exploring, Alaska for more exploring and snow, little beach towns (I love Oceanside and Carlsbad) in CA. Sedona, AZ is also BEAUTIFUL.
  • Liana
    VIP March 2017
    Liana ·

I'd say Hawaii because I keep hearing good things about it even though I myself have never been yet... I live in Southern California and there are lots of places to visit here also.

• Julia
    Expert August 2018
    Julia ·
    If you want the beach honeymoon, check out Hawaii, or Key West, Florida 😊
  • Tanya
    Expert May 2018
    Tanya ·

New England. Year round there's always something.

I've lived here 38 years and I'm STILL not done exploring it!

• Jurnee
    Expert May 2019
    Jurnee ·
    We're going to NYC, FH has never been and I can't wait to show him around. We're big on shopping, sightseeing, and food. Cant wait to hit up 5th Ave.
  • CBD to Be
    Expert June 2018
    CBD to Be ·
    Hawaii! Or an Alaskan cruise!

• J
    Devoted June 2018
    Janie ·

California wine country, Seaside or Alys Beach in Florida (lots of places along 30A), Charleston, SC, basically any big city.

I would think about what you and your FH like to do together. Do you like to eat and drink your way through a big city? Do you want to relax on a beach? Are you looking for museums and culture?

• Mrs. Cohen
    Super October 2018
    Mrs. Cohen ·

My fiance and I love the desert (we also hate flying, but LOVE road trips), so we're honeymooning in Tucson, Arizona for an entire week.

Seems like an odd place to honeymoon, I know lol, but there are beautiful resorts there (We booked a private Casita Suite at the Ritz-Carlton, Dove Mountain), plus there is so much to do.

We love the outdoors, so we'll be exploring Saguaro National Park (both East & West) as well as Chiricahua National Monument. We also love craft beer, so exploring the 25+ breweries that Tucson has to offer sounds like a lot of fun. Sprinkle in some art & culture, along with fabulous dining, that dreamy desert landscape, and of course relaxation at the exceptional resort, and voila, a perfect honeymoon getaway, right here in the States!

The desert isn't for everyone, but if you happen to be one of those weirdos like us, you should definitely look into honeymooning in Tucson... or even Sedona (that was our 2nd Honeymoon option, but we've been there... we've never been to Tucson)

Sidenote: As a California girl, born, raised, and still loving living here... this is a magnificent place to honeymoon as well. If you're considering a California Honeymoon, feel free to connect with me on here, I'd love to give you some great ideas and suggestions for an amazing and unforgettable trip here

• Pirate & 60s Bride
    Master March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·

Trip #1) Fly into San Francisco and stay for a few days (you won't need a car). Play, shop, dine, enjoy the nightlife. Then rent a car and go relax in Napa Valley for a few days (about a 2 hour drive). Go wine tasting, take a spa day, dine, go for strolls.

Trip #2) Go to Seattle for a few days. Take a food walking tour (yummy & fun). Then set sail on an Alaskan cruise.

Trip #3) Las Vegas. Gamble, see shows, zip line between hotels, eat, drink, party maybe sober up at a luxury hotel spa before you leave or go to Red Mountain Spa for a few days of amazing spa lifestyle (they used to have a shuttle that would pick you up from Vegas).

I have no idea what to do East of Vegas. Would love to travel more. Some people mentioned Hawaii. A cruise would be a great way to sample several islands as each has its own special qualities and adventures.

• J
    Beginner April 2019
    Jannah ·

Can't go wrong with San Diego

• kala&isha
    Dedicated November 2019
    kala&isha ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Hey girl we are actually considering a California honeymoon can you suggest some things
  • C
    Beginner October 2018
    Caitlin ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Just sent you a request, looking for California Honeymoon ideas
  • Mrs. Cohen
    Super October 2018
    Mrs. Cohen ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Hey there Kala,

So sorry for the delayed response... my bad!

Do you have a specific area of California in mind? (I.E. San Diego area, Palm Springs, Los Angeles, Central Coast, San Francisco, etc). I would absolutely love to suggest some things, but this is a massive state, so knowing the general area you’re considering will help me to suggest some good things Otherwise you’ll just get a massive list of suggestions from me, covering the whole state lol which I don’t mind, but could be overwhelming for you to read through.
  • Mrs. Cohen
    Super October 2018
    Mrs. Cohen ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Hey Caitlin,

I would love to provide ideas for Honeymooning in California! I accepted your friend request Let’s chat and I’ll suggest some things based on where in California you’re thinking of going.
  • kala&isha
    Dedicated November 2019
    kala&isha ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Hey I actually don’t ! We were considering LA and Big sur ... neither of us have been to California before though to really know . I know that we want to be near a beach and definitely something romantic
  • C
    Beginner October 2018
    Caitlin ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Hey Mikaela,
    I’m not sure if there’s a way to private message on here or we just have to chat through this forum but we live in Charlotte, NC so flying to LAX is the cheapest/easiest option. We would love to see LA for a day or two and then stay somewhere close to San Diego. We are getting married Oct. 13 and plan to honeymoon that week after. We’d like to do a bit of both relaxing and exploring. Let me know what your thoughts are!
    Thanks!
  • Mrs. Cohen
    Super October 2018
    Mrs. Cohen ·
    View Quoted Comment

Hi Kala

As an LA Native, I can say that our city is a great place to vacation. It would definitely be a more fast-paced and culturally exciting part of your honeymoon. However, you would absolutely 100% need a rental car as everything is very spread out and unfortunately our public transportation is not the easiest to navigate nor is it time friendly (what would be a 30 minute drive, could be close to an hour on our metro "subway" system). If you want to stay near the beach, Santa Monica would be a great place for you to stay. The beach is unique in that there's the fun portion surrounding the famous pier and the quirky Venice Boardwalk is a short 20ish minute walk from the pier. If you walk in the opposite direction toward Malibu, you get a more quiet and peaceful beach setting that is less full of tourists. There's also the walking/bike path dubbed "The Strand" that goes from Malibu, down through Santa Monica, and continues way past Venice, so you don't have to struggle with walking in the sand. There's also 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica, which is a street closed off to vehicles, where you can safely walk to explore shops, great dining, and enjoy the abundance of street performers (3rd Street is most lively on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday evenings).

Outside of Santa Monica, you're just a short drive to Downtown LA which has been going through some revitalization. Downtown is a great place to explore a strong and growing craft beer scene, art (both street and galleries), as well as enjoy some amazing restaurants.

Also a manageable drive from Santa Monica is The Griffith Observatory (I suggest going near sunset, although it will be crowded and parking can be a tad irritating, it's SO worth it). The views from the observatory are incredible, plus the observatory itself is a fun and educational, free, museum. This is also the starting point for the famous trail you can hike up, fairly close to the Hollywood Sign. This is a tourist attraction that even us locals enjoy to be honest. If you must, you can check out Hollywood Blvd., although I will tell you that it's a terrible place to go, full of disappointment & extremely overpriced tourist traps. But, if you're willing to deal with the never-ending crowds and overpriced parking, it's cool to check out once to at least see the famous handprints at the Chinese Theatre and see some stars on the walk of fame (Note: Do not take photos of the "street performers" dressed as celebrities. They will notice you taking photos and they will chase you down for a cash donation. Also, don't ever take a "free" CD from anyone. They too will chase you down for a $10 donation). If you end up in this area, then it would be worth cruising down the famous Sunset Blvd and even meandering through Bel Air and Beverly Hills to see some truly extraordinary mansions.

If you decide to Stay in Santa Monica, which I do highly recommend as it's one of the nicer areas in LA where you can walk most places, then there are two hotels I highly recommend staying. 1) The Palihouse. It's just off the beaten path where you feel like you're on a romantic getaway, but you're still close enough to walk to 3rd Street Promenade, the Pier and the beach. It's a historic building with beautiful rooms, nice staff, and fairly good complimentary breakfast in the morning. You won't get a room with a good view, but the room itself is nice and the location of the hotel is great for a honeymoon destination. But if you want something closer to the hub of everything, then I recommend 2) The Viceroy Hotel. This hotel is more modern with that California chic flair. It doesn't have the exclusive and romantic feel that Palihouse offers, but it still a beautiful property and you can book a room with a view of the Pacific Ocean, if that's what you're after

Now... with Big Sur... I highly recommend seeing Big Sur, as it is beyond words beautiful. But do note that Big Sur is about a 6 - 7 hour drive from LA (depending on which route you take and how bad traffic is). If this is someplace you'd be willing to travel to, then I'd love to recommend some stops along your way to Big Sur as well as things in Big Sur... but I won't make this post any longer than it already is lol

Also, in regards to LA, if you share some things you and your FH like to do and the type of cuisine and alcohol you enjoy, I can recommend some more specific places to go, eat and drink

Comment on this discussion