We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Rebecca
Dedicated February 2021

Hire a film school student for the wedding

Rebecca, on May 28, 2020 at 6:33 PM Posted in Do It Yourself 1 16
Saved Save

Do you guys know of any photography schools or website that has a portfolio? I'm picky with photography, but its not completely the camera quality, but the person's eye. I'm in California US. I'd love to hire someone who needs more on the resume, and save some money along the way.

16 Comments

• Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle Online ·
    • Flag

Try craigslist! or i bet you if you ask around, people would know someone that wants more portfolio experience that would give you a discounted rate or free, even

• Rebecca
    Dedicated February 2021
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That's a great idea! Thank you

• Rhiamae
    Devoted February 2021
    Rhiamae ·
    • Flag

Most colleges have their own designated Facebook page for students to chat and stuff, what I would probably do is try posting your ad on there. Not many college students these days go on Craigslist, unless their looking to buy a car.

• Rebecca
    Dedicated February 2021
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Okay, I'll look there. Thank you, the prices are the same on craigslist right now, and I was looking at one that stole photos, that's I've seen elsewhere.

• Jana
    Rockstar June 2023
    Jana Online ·
    • Flag
    Do a Google search for schools in your area, including community colleges. Currently most of them are closed but once states open up, it's a great idea. The students can get work experience as well.
  • Rebecca
    Dedicated February 2021
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Great idea, thank you!

• Rebelle Fleur
    VIP January 2021
    Rebelle Fleur ·
    • Flag
    Try the thumbtack app it has many different photographers at various places in their career.
  • Rebecca
    Dedicated February 2021
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Awesome thanks!
  • Samantha
    Rockstar October 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag

You can always contact photography professors in your area and see if they have any recommendations, but thumbtack is a good go-to. They will charge a lower rate than professional photographer, but I disagree with PP that you will or should get their work for free. They are providing a valuable and time consuming service and should not be "paid" in exposure.

• Elizabeth
    Rockstar June 2021
    Elizabeth ·
    • Flag

I would reach out to university art department heads. They can reach out to individual professors, and they'll know students that would be interested in such an opportunity. Our wedding will be right down the road from my alma mater, so we're going to do the same thing!

• Rebecca
    Dedicated February 2021
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Great ideas thank you!

• Alexis
    Savvy June 2020
    Alexis ·
    • Flag
    I found our photographer on an App called thumbtack. You can find local professionals on there and each has a profile with samples- there were some that were college students and newer photographers
  • Kelsi
    Expert June 2020
    Kelsi ·
    • Flag

I'd look for colleges near you and try to find the head of the arts/visual arts department and let them know what you're looking for. They'll be able to point you towards a student with the talent but also looking to build your portfolio.

• Martha
    Devoted October 2022
    Martha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Amazing idea, I was looking for info on this for my own wedding.

• Violet
    Savvy March 2021
    Violet ·
    • Flag

FH and I both got to VCU which is a top college for arts on the east coast! We hired a student for a videographer and we have seen her work and are beyond confident in her abilities! She is AMAZINGLY priced. What would have cost us ~$2500 is costing us $800!! Smart move!! WISH I would have thought of this before hiring my photographer! She's great but just $$$$!

• Rebecca
    Dedicated February 2021
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you! Thats what I'm looking for.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles