Pancakes
Master October 2015

Help for a Hawaii (the Big Island) Honeymoon

Pancakes, on January 5, 2015 at 12:59 PM Posted in Honeymoon

I think we settled on a Hawaii honeymoon. We were going to do Sandals at St. Lucia or somewhere else but they are just too expensive. They are 65% off right now and are coming in at $280 per person per night for the cheapest room at the cheapest resort out of all of Sandal's options. It would cost $600 a day for the cheapest scenario, which probably wouldn't be at a location we want anyways. We can get at least 1 free flight to Hawaii with our miles and we have a coworkers who has visited Hawaii 11 times and is recommending houses/condos to us that are around $75-$300 a night ranging from basic to extravagant (ocean front, jacuzzi, etc.). We also have friends and his parents offering their timeshare there to us since they both always let points expire (we would insist on paying them). So we have many options!

We decided on the big island and will stay in the Hilo area. Any suggestions? Recommendations? Thanks!

Share:

5 Comments

• Barbara
    Master September 2014
    Barbara ·

Bump-- I think HiH has some good advice for the Big Island.

One thing you may want to consider is to rent a car. It seems like there's so much to explore there, and may be hard to get around without one.

• Northern MN
    Master November 2014
    Northern MN ·

Go on a horse back ride...one of my most memorable childhood experiences is going on a horse back ride through the woods in Kona and the guide picking us wild fresh fruit. It was so awesome!

• Pancakes
    Master October 2015
    Pancakes ·

Thanks! Yes, we will definitely be renting a car. So far we want to plan trips to a waterfall nearby, volcanoes and we will have to pack winter clothes to go to the observatories on the top of a nearby mountain. I want this to be a mix of things to do but also a lot of down time. I am not a beach person. I don't know how people can just sit on the beach for hours doing nothing!

I have never gone horseback riding but have always wanted to. But isn't it a horrible experience for guys? I hear it's uncomfortable for them

• Barbara
    Master September 2014
    Barbara ·

Also, keep in mind that on average, there are two crashes of helicopter sight-seeing tours in Hawaii per year. Unless you've waited your whole life to do one, this is something I'd definitely skip. Totally not worth the risk.

• Pancakes
    Master October 2015
    Pancakes ·

FH is afraid of heights so I don't think we would do one. Also - I'm a bit of a cheapskate sometimes. Lol. Thanks, though

Comment on this discussion