Skip to main content
J
Savvy June 2015

Help! Etiquette for "Dr." response cards

Julia, on January 22, 2015 at 12:46 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 14
Saved

My parents are in the health care field, and a number of their best friends are physicians. But on all the response card designs I like online, it has "M _____" to fill in the guest name. If someone is "Dr. Smith," for instance, they couldn't fill out "M____" on the card because they're not Mr or Mrs. They'd have to ignore the "M___" and write "Dr." instead. I think my parents' friends wouldn't even notice-- but is it rude of me to send response cards that assume someone will fill it out with "Mr, Mrs, Ms"? Or am I worrying too much? Thanks for the suggestions.

14 Comments

Latest activity by Maria, on April 10, 2019 at 8:31 AM
  • AndixLyn
    Master June 2015
    AndixLyn ·
    • Flag

Not rude at all. The M is standard for RSVP. Not all doctors get uptight about being called Mr and Mrs instead of Dr. Unless we are in their office I don't refer tto them as Dr.

• Jennifer
    Super August 2015
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag

You are probably over thinking this. I don't think anyone will get upset. This is standard practice for RSVP cards. You can also just leave the line blank if you want.

• Julia T
    Master August 2015
    Julia T ·
    • Flag

It's not rude and you are free to do what you like. But please show respect for the Dr.

• alyshadanielle
    Master April 2015
    alyshadanielle ·
    • Flag

I never knew what that stupid M was for. I had it removed from our RSVPs because it annoyed me. Why is it an M when it should be an N for NAME?! NOW I KNOW! lol

• Maltese
    Master June 2015
    Maltese ·
    • Flag

In the response case, I wouldn't worry about it too much since people know those are pre printed in bulk, but definitely address it properly on the invitations (which I totally didn't consider since my FMIL jumped the gun and pre-printed them all for us)

http://www.emilypost.com/forms-of-address/titles/96-guide-to-addressing-correspondence

• FutureMrsWalton
    VIP August 2015
    FutureMrsWalton ·
    • Flag

I think you are totally overthinking this. No one should get offended.

• Nancy Taussig
    Nancy Taussig ·
    • Flag

Some don't use Dr. in social situations.

None should take offense at the M________

A guy named Michael wrote in ichael after the M.

• Melissa
    Super April 2015
    Melissa ·
    • Flag

Lmao Nancy. That's pretty hilarious. But yeah I wouldn't worry about it. I'm inviting a judge so that should really be "The Honorable..." but I'm just leaving the M on there anyways.

• S
    Master June 2015
    Sara ·
    • Flag

On my reply cards I'm replacing the "M" with Mr/Mrs, because I think the "M" is weird and confusing. I think as long as you get their title right on the envelope, they won't mind the M (or whatever) on the reply card.

• Kelly Snyder
    Kelly Snyder ·
    • Flag

No doctor will expect you to print one RSVP card special for them.

Some people don't even write Mr after the M.

Pretty much all RSVP cards have the M_________ due to space on the card, some do have names________ instead if there is room on the card so you could change it to names if you wanted,

• Julia T
    Master August 2015
    Julia T ·
    • Flag

I don't think it would be rude, but as some of the ladies above have said if you can remove the m and replace it with name or leave it blank do that.

Four years of college, Four years of Medical school, and then 3-7 year residency depending on your specialty. Please respect the Dr. People go threw a lot to have those 2 little letters in front of their names.

• Julia T
    Master August 2015
    Julia T ·
    • Flag

OMG I just notice we are name twins lol

• 8815wedding
    VIP August 2015
    8815wedding ·
    • Flag

Definitely don't worry about it on the response card because (as many have said) no one expects you to write them a special card that says Dr. _____. For the envelopes, though, make sure you address them properly. This goes for other guests with special titles (doctors, judges, people with high ranks in the military, like Captain ___, reverends etc.)

• M
    November 2019
    Maria ·
    • Flag

I am having a bridal shower for my future daughter in law, she is a Dr. She doesn't want Dr. On the bridal invitation, just her first and last name. Is that ok to do?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics