RosesAreRed
Dedicated November 2017

Hawaii- Maui and Kauai Honeymoon and The Hyatt (paging Lyla)

RosesAreRed, on February 17, 2017 at 4:27 PM Posted in Honeymoon

FI and I met with a few travel agents and they are all recommending us to stay at the Hyatt Regency in Maui. This looks like a main resort in Maui, but I'm getting caught up with some of the reviews (they have 4.5/5 stars with over 5,000 reviews, so the margin is relatively small). Basically it seems like the resort is compared to a "Vegas hotel," meaning lots of hustle and bustle, but also lots of attractions within the Resort. They also mention the rooms are outdated and really nothing special. I'm trying to decide if I should even worry about this? Basically, it's in our budget, so we really can't go with anything more expensive. Second, I know we won't be spending a lot of time in our room (well, except for the obvious… ), so it's not super critical. However, part of me is like, IT'S OUR HONEYMOON! We should have the best of the best! But, then there's money, and we can’t afford to stay at a place like the Four Seasons. Continued in comments...

Share:

9 Comments

• RosesAreRed
    Dedicated November 2017
    RosesAreRed ·

. So here are my questions: 1) Has anyone stayed at the Hyatt? Any thoughts on it? 2) Would you even care about not having an amazing room, because it’s still Maui? To add, we are doing 4 nights in Kauai after Maui and our agent specifically wanted this to be after Maui because she said the place we are staying at is AMAZING (Hyatt Regency Grand Kauai). I looked it up online and I can’t wait for this one. I feel like it will be that “honeymoon feeling” we are looking for, and end on a big note. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

• lyla
    Master July 2017
    lyla ·

Hey Roses! I actually have been there, but I haven't seen the rooms. When I was a kid, we used to stay in condos near there and go to the luau and sneak into the pool because it had waterslides and lots of fun stuff for kids. (I know I know. My parents did a lot of unethical things lol.) I remember the luau being amazing.

From looking at the website (and remember the cool pool, which was definitely designed for kids), I kind of agree with you that it's less honeymoon-y and more family focused. But TBH that might be nice. You might get bored of being in a quiet, adults-only environment for so long.

Re: the rooms. I don't think rooms matter. You're in HI! Unless you're waiting till your wedding night, you aren't going to spend much time indoors.

Sorry I can't be more help on this one.

• Jacks
    Master September 2019
    Jacks ·

The Hyatt Regency Grand is Kauai is really beautiful. I've never stayed there, but they have a couple great restaurants, one is the Tide Pools. I've been there quite a lot. They have a good luau too. If you like hikes there's one that is right close to the hotel, it goes for miles along the coastline.

• SoonToBeMrsE
    Expert May 2017
    SoonToBeMrsE ·

We are going to Maui and Kauai as well. In Maui we're staying at the Andaz- we picked this one due to the more modern rooms and a more adult vibe.

• C
    Super August 2017
    C ·

We decided to get a condo in Maui on home away. We got a very honeymoon-y place for much less than the resorts.

• Maui K
    VIP May 2017
    Maui K ·

I'm getting married at the Hyatt on Maui, but haven't ever stayed there. We chose it because is family friendly, and on the end of Kaanapali beach.

• Lindzer
    Devoted April 2017
    Lindzer ·

We almost booked at the Hyatt in Maui! Ended up going with a condo for a week to save money and then are splurging for a few nights to get that "honeymoon feel" at the Hotel Wailea. So I think your plan sounds great! Get out to explore and you'll barely remember the room, then you can have breakfast in bed at your Kauai hotel

• Erin Wood
    Master July 2017
    Erin Wood ·

I think fancy hotels are a waste of money. I'd rather spend less on accommodations and stay longer. Might just be me. The four seasons is over in Wailea which I don't recommend at all. The beaches aren't very nice and it's windy making the water choppy and not ideal for snorkeling.

• RosesAreRed
    Dedicated November 2017
    RosesAreRed ·

Thanks for all the comments so far! We are still on the fence, but it sounds like in the end, it really won't matter since we won't be in the room much.

Comment on this discussion