We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Bella
Just Said Yes August 2021

Did you pick out your own ring?

Bella, on June 25, 2020 at 3:34 PM

Posted in Wedding Attire 126

I’m curious how other couples picked out their rings. Did you find what you wanted and send it to your FH? Did you give him an idea of what you wanted and then just cross your fingers? If you picked it out together did he propose first without a ring? It feels like a big deal to just hand off to FH...
I’m curious how other couples picked out their rings. Did you find what you wanted and send it to your FH? Did you give him an idea of what you wanted and then just cross your fingers? If you picked it out together did he propose first without a ring? It feels like a big deal to just hand off to FH and just be like - “Good luck!” 😂

126 Comments

• Ingrid
    VIP October 2020
    Ingrid ·
    • Flag
    We actually were ring shopping for him to give me an idea of his taste. And, when I laid eyes on my ring I had to put it on. The jeweler saw my excuse but I hid it from my fiance. He loved the ring but I downplayed it because of the price. I searched for over 2 weeks on the internet looking for something similar but less expensive. To no avail, so I finally told him how much I loved the ring. He was completely ok with spending the amount on it and made sure to make me happy.
  • Olivia
    Just Said Yes September 2021
    Olivia ·
    • Flag
    I sent my fiancé photos of ones I liked in the past. he used that for inspiration!!
  • Samantha
    Devoted July 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    I randomly showed my fiance a ring that I really liked and I told him that I'd love a ring like that (it's moonstone and not a "traditional" ring) and he was like you'd really like something like that? And I said yes. This was in December of 2018 and he actually ordered it the next week after asking my dad for his blessing 😊 and he didn't even propose until June 2019! But he said it took a few months to get the ring and then he was scared haha
  • Yipsy
    Beginner April 2021
    Yipsy ·
    • Flag
    He asked me to marry him months ago but he said he wanted me to pick my ring because he didn’t want to get it wrong. So we went together and picked it out.
  • Natalie
    Expert November 2020
    Natalie ·
    • Flag
    My proposal and ring were a complete surprise, even after 9years together. He did research before going to jewelry stores to make sure he had some background info on the topic, and he went to Jared where he picked out the most beautiful 2.1 carat princess cut diamond and setting. I love it more than anything I would have picked out for myself, as it means so much more to me knowing that he put in all the time and effort to get the perfect ring!
  • Aimee
    Super July 2021
    Aimee ·
    • Flag
    I sent the Pinterest pictures lol. We picked out each of our wedding bands and paid for both on our joint account
  • Michelle
    Super October 2020
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    He picked it out himself. We did go ring browsing and he got an idea of what I did like.
  • Rebecca
    Devoted September 2021
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag
    At a certain point, I started “dropping hints” about what I liked and what I didn’t, but did not feel it would lead to anything. My husband literally took notes of everything I told him! He showed me after he proposed and it was so cute! He did a great job picking my ring and it was actually a design I had liked when looking on my own, but hadn’t specifically mentioned!
  • Meghan
    Devoted September 2021
    Meghan ·
    • Flag
    My fiancé and I have such different taste when it comes to ANYTHING 😂. We looked around together at the malls and then we went to a jeweler to try on different cuts, sizes, etc. I’m so happy he let me be apart of it because it was fun looking at rings together. We came up with a few options we both liked and he decided on “the one.” I was still sooooo surprised ! My ring came out prettier than I expected and I’ll always cherish that day it was perfect ♥️
  • Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag

My husband got me a cubic zirconia ring to propose with... we had talked about getting engaged soon so I knew it was coming, but he felt like If we had already gone ring shopping it was going to take the excitement out of it when he proposed lol. So he just got me this "fake" ring which he proposed with, and then when we had time, we went to pick out my permanent ring together.

• Brandi
    Devoted July 2020
    Brandi ·
    • Flag
    I was looking at rings and showed him the ones I love. We were on vacation and I fell in love with my engagement ring. He did too. I knew he was going to order that one and he did. We looked at wedding bands together and I took him to the store on Saturday and he picked his out. Got it right there on the spot.
  • Florida Marlins
    Expert October 2017
    Florida Marlins ·
    • Flag
    My ring is an antique opal ring that is an heirloom. I had no idea it was coming, and I love it!
  • C
    Super December 2021
    Casey ·
    • Flag
    He asked for ideas and in the end proposed with a family ring. He said he wanted to take me to the jeweler he had to pick my pick my own band. So, technically both? 😂
    I got to be totally surprised and proposed to with a ring and then got to pick my own setting! 🥰
    The first 2 are when he proposed and the last one is after.Did you pick out your own ring? 1

Did you pick out your own ring? 2
    Did you pick out your own ring? 3

• Kimberly
    Super March 2021
    Kimberly ·
    • Flag
    My FH chose my ring on his own and I love it. I would have loved anything he chose because it’s a symbol of his love and how could that ever be wrong?
  • A
    Super February 2020
    Andrea ·
    • Flag
    We went together, and we were both confused as to what would look nice on us! I’m glad we gave each other our opinions because it felt overwhelming!
  • A
    Super February 2020
    Andrea ·
    • Flag
    I should have finished reading your post! He designed the engagement ring, so I was completely surprised. But finding our own wedding bands we went together!
  • E
    Devoted August 2020
    Elle ·
    • Flag

No! He picked it out all by himself! When people ask me if I helped him, they are so surprised when I say no! Lol!

• Adrianna
    Dedicated June 2020
    Adrianna ·
    • Flag

I told my husband the cut I wanted, and I also sent him pictures of inspiration. I am SO happy with the ring he picked out. It's beautiful. Luckily, we have similar taste. I think it's important for the woman to LOVE the ring she is going to wear for the rest of her life. Some women may disagree and say you should love it no matter what, but I personally did not want to be stuck wearing an ugly ring. Unfortunately, my sister in law got stuck with an ugly ring/ small diamond. She even told me she wants to save up to upgrade it. That's when you know the wifey is unhappy with her ring lol.

• Breann
    Devoted June 2020
    Breann ·
    • Flag

My first husband absolutely refused to get me a halo style ring that I wanted because, to him, it looked like a "granny ring." So he bought me something I truly hated.

Current husband proposed without a ring and had me design my own custom ring! I love it so much and I appreciate that he let me have exactly what I want.

• Kelsey
    Just Said Yes August 2020
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag

I went ring shopping with some friends to get an idea of what I wanted, and then they went with him and he had the final say of what he chose! That way it was a surprise for me, but he had some help!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics