Skip to main content
E
Dedicated May 2011

did you pick out your own engagement ring? (post pics)

emily, on August 21, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Posted in Planning 60

i get asked this question all the time. "did you pick out your ring or did your fiance?" well, i picked out the setting and he picked out the diamond. the reactions i get are mixed. some people totally understand, cause its a beautiful ring. your ring is something you have to look at the rest of...

I get asked this question all the time. "did you pick out your ring or did your fiance?" well, i picked out the setting and he picked out the diamond. the reactions i get are mixed. some people totally understand, cause its a beautiful ring. your ring is something you have to look at the rest of your life. you should love it and i do. others, well they are like, he should know what you want. he prob asked your friends, sisters, and mother for advice and these people know you best, right? but we all have different taste. what they like might not be what you like.

so here's the question, did you pick out your own engagement ring or were you suprised? would you have changed anything? and i would love to see the bling!

60 Comments

• Faith
    Dedicated December 2010
    Faith ·
    • Flag

Here's mine!

• kmc900159
    Devoted May 2011
    kmc900159 ·
    • Flag

I worked in jewelry around the time FI and I started talking seriously about getting engaged. After seeing rings everyday and trying on tons it would have been really hard not to pick my own. I think if I hadn't I wouldn't have minded as much if FI picked it out but since I had I was pretty particular. In the end it worked out really well because I got a great deal on a beautiful diamond and FI and I got to go shopping for the perfect setting. I know that I'll be happy wearing my ring and I think that what matters.

• snaps
    Expert June 2011
    snaps ·
    • Flag

Mine was a long process - I knew I wanted an antique cut diamond, which are difficult to find (nearly impossible in Australia). I liased with an antique jeweler in the States for about 6 months before the right stone came along. So I picked my own diamond. The setting was custom made by a platinum smith in NYC. My FH and I both compiled the various aspects of rings we liked, then had him combine them into a unique setting for me. So it was a group effort, really. I am very fussed about jewelry, so my partner definitely knew me best by NOT picking out something by himself!

• snaps
    Expert June 2011
    snaps ·
    • Flag

Forgot - the loose stone, and then in its setting (not that you can see any of the detail)

• jlam
    Master August 2011
    jlam ·
    • Flag

We picked out our ring together. It was a lot of fun going to stores together and we felt like it was right for us. We do everything else together and he felt it would have been weird to make such a huge purchase without me. I was against it at first, but I'm so glad we did it this way. We ended up with a gorgeous ring that we both love so we won't need to upgrade it down the road. Smiley smile

• madison
    Expert November 2010
    madison ·
    • Flag

Christopher actually knew exactly the style of ring he wanted to get me..we talked about it one day and he explained what he wanted to get me! He did great, its simple and danty...I dont need big and flashy Smiley smile

diamonds total 1/2 carat, platinum setting

• Future Mrs. P
    Super October 2010
    Future Mrs. P ·
    • Flag

I picked out my engagement ring and he picked out a watch. I got him the watch several months before he proposed. Just the other day we went and picked out our wedding bands, I picked out what I liked but I got his opinion on what he liked too. He picked out his and pretty much did the same thing, kept asking me what I liked too. It was a mutual decision on our bands. We both went with something we both liked.

• Lauren
    VIP October 2011
    Lauren ·
    • Flag

Smiley smile

• Lauren
    VIP October 2011
    Lauren ·
    • Flag

• E
    Beginner March 2011
    Emily ·
    • Flag

David picked out the ring, he did great!!! I love my ring!!!

• Dianne
    VIP August 2011
    Dianne ·
    • Flag

Well, since I proposed to HIM, I picked out my ring, in fact, I took a small solitaire and paired it with a wrap. He wants a Celtic Wedding band and I want a rose gold band. I brought home a ring to propose to him with but he didn't like it (and it was too small), so we are going shopping in a few weeks to get him his wedding band. I found a simple rose gold band with diamonds online I am thinking of to save some money, we will see.

• Sharon
    Master June 2010
    Sharon ·
    • Flag

We looked at rings online to see what style I liked. We figured out I liked radiant, pave and low set. I didn't pick the exact one, but he hit the nail on the head! I LOVE my ring(s)!

• Meghan
    Master August 2011
    Meghan ·
    • Flag

We went shopping together before we were engaged so he could ring get an idea what I liked. I found 3 that I liked in MONTHS, and millions of rings. But every ring compared to the first one I saw that I liked.

A few weeks before he proposed, he took me back to the store to look at it again, and it was GONE! I CRIED! Sneaky bastard had bought it 3 weeks earlier, and could still return it. He wanted to make sure it was THE RING, and when I cried he knew.

He held on to it for 6 weeks before he found the right moment to give it to me. I could have killed him, but I was so happy that he was forgiven almost immediately.

• Sharon
    Master June 2010
    Sharon ·
    • Flag

Meghan - what a little shit! lol In a good way though, what an amazing surprise!

• Shana
    Master October 2011
    Shana ·
    • Flag

I had looked online and shown him a ring that I liked, but he wanted to get me something unique that wasn't being manufactured anywhere, so we went to an antique jeweler together. I tried on dozens of rings, but nothing looked right. In the very last bunch was the ring I ended up with. First ring where the stone wasn't too big for me! We looked at a few more and I found another one that was a lot more modern that I also liked, but the setting was too high and I kept going back to the first one. We set it aside and FS went back for it a few weeks later. Enough time for me to forget exactly what it looked like! I still catch myself looking at it though, even six months later. I still love it.

• Mandy
    Master October 2010
    Mandy ·
    • Flag

I sure did, FH has no style, lol! Here it is...

• Joan Cummings
    Joan Cummings ·
    • Flag

I actually wanted something very sentimental. I took my grandmothers center stone from her ring and stones from my fathers cufflinks, my mothers earrings, my grandfathers cufflinks and my great grandparents wedding banks and gave him all the diamonds and told him to be creative. I get it next week on my bday so I cant wait to see it... I will post!

• Tiggopotomus
    VIP April 2011
    Tiggopotomus ·
    • Flag

Christin- I have the same problem with mine. We picked sterling silver for my engagement ring because I tend to be allergic to the stuff they use to treat white gold and I despise yellow gold. But we found out that Kay changed their chemicals and treating process so my wedding ring will be the ring I've always wanted...

Pic 1. My engagement ring which will be worn as a right hand ring once we are married until my daughter is older. At which point, it will be her purity ring.

Pic 2. My wedding ring Smiley smile

• Tiggopotomus
    VIP April 2011
    Tiggopotomus ·
    • Flag

And David and I went to a few jewelers and picked out about a dozen rings...he knew that I disliked diamonds and that I loved rubies and pink sapphires. WHICH ring was a surprise and I think he did a fantastic job!

• *~* Soon to be Mrs. Murphey *~*
    VIP February 2013
    *~* Soon to be Mrs. Murphey *~* ·
    • Flag

SIGH....

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.
WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics