We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Julie
Just Said Yes March 2021

Destination wedding - what do we do about kids?

Julie, on July 9, 2020 at 5:43 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 5
Saved Save

I am getting married in Florida next March, and it will be a destination wedding for about 2/3 of our guests (many coming from New England). We want to encourage people to make it a vacation weekend and extend their stay, but a lot of our friends have at least one child (most will be under the age of 3). Should we provide childcare for the night of the wedding? I don't want people not to come because they can't bring their kids, but I also want parents to have a fun night off.

5 Comments

• Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn Online ·
    • Flag

It would be great to provide optional childcare for those who want to use it, but most parents don't want to leave their children with strangers.

• Jessica
    VIP September 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    If it was me, I’d probably ask one of our parents to take the kids for the weekend rather than bring them and leave them with a stranger.
  • J
    January 1895
    Jessa ·
    • Flag

I would be prepared for a lot of people to decline to attend. Destination weddings and young children are a hard match up. You have to decide to either leave your young child an airplane ride away or bring them and have a stranger babysit. (this is only my experience and opinion, obviously no one size fits all people)

• A
    Expert October 2021
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    I wouldn’t trust a stranger to watch my loved one’s children, especially if I didn’t have access to their background checks and all of that. Too much can go wrong. I’d let them bring their children if they choose. A fun night off is great, but it’s not always possible.
  • Sexypoodle
    Master October 2021
    Sexypoodle ·
    • Flag
    Part of being a parent means being responsible for arranging your own childcare. So that’s nothing you should have to add to your list.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles