Maddy
Just Said Yes June 2021

destination ideas

Maddy, on September 21, 2019 at 2:17 AM Posted in Planning 0 14
Saved Save
Hi! I want to have destination wedding! I’m in need of ideas. I would like to go somewhere tropical and I would love to hear anyone’s advice and input about destination weddings!

14 Comments

• Jeanie
    Super February 2020
    Jeanie ·
    We’re going to Key West. We love it there, and it made the most sense. It’s pretty easy to get to, so our guests can arrange their travel time for just the weekend or for a whole vacation if they choose. We originally were thinking of a cruise, but that requires everyone to commit to certain dates. And since it’s in Florida, no one has to worry about passports.
  • Maddy
    Just Said Yes June 2021
    Maddy ·
    What’s your venue called??
  • Cyndy
    Master May 2019
    Cyndy ·
    We got married in Florida on the beach in the Gulf Coast side. It was so pretty!
  • Savannah
    Savvy August 2020
    Savannah ·
    The only thing to really take into consideration with Florida is hurricane season! If you’re wanting somewhere a little more exotic, Costa Rica is my absolute favorite! You’re below the hurricane belt (so we are going on our honeymoon there in August without having to worry!) and you can do things super affordable. If may definitely limit your guests though needing to get passports, but sometimes it can actually be more affordable to fly and stay in Costa Rica than Florida! Have fun planning!
  • Izzy
    Devoted April 2021
    Izzy ·
    Hey there! We looked into Key West for a LONG time and there are some great venues there. I would look into Southernmost Beach Resort, Hyatt Key West, and Casa Marina (more pricey)! Ultimately we decided to have our destination wedding on the North Carolina coast (at a mansion garden venue) because my FH parents live there and I wanted a different vibe — I wanted it to be very formal and sometimes the beach has more of a casual vibe. Good luck and happy planning!!
  • Lisa
    Devoted October 2020
    Lisa ·
    I’m having my destination wedding in Mexico.
  • Yoice
    VIP March 2019
    Yoice ·
    I had a destination wedding in Playa del Carmen Mexico. I always knew I wanted one and i don’t regret it. The planning can be overwhelming because is like planning your wedding from distant and a huge family vacation. The key is to stay organize and try to get as much as possible local. Ex; Renting table numbers avoids you taking so much with you in the end. I didn’t because my theme was very modern so whatever I didn’t find my style locally I brought with me. I ended up with 3 big luggage, 2 carry on, one big purse, a book bag, dress and tux hanger bags. I had some decor for welcome party, lots of personalized items, presents for all parents and bridal party, welcome bags items that we set there. So it all adds up.
    As far as vendors emailing them is probably best way. Once you get a feel and a quote try a phone call or FaceTime specially with coordinator and photographer. This are the people you spend more time with and you have to make sure you click with them.
    If possible take a short weekdays trip to the destination and cramp your day with meetings. Food, cake and cocktail tasting, visiting venue, meet and greet vendors. The main ones are coordinator or planner, photographer, florist, decor, catering.
    Give your guest at least 1 year heads up for planning and always tell them estimate cost. Do research on flight prices so you also send estimates to them along with hotel prices to see if this is something they can afford. Be ready for disappointment because not everyone is going to make it. Some people might give you a hard-time even when is within the states.
    Make sure you plan activities for your guest so they’re not lost. Tell them about the place and things to do around. Don’t need to plan every activity but giving them ideas is good. I say do plan at least one thing for everyone. I found out everyone in our group wanted to be around all together. I would have them ask us for breakfast, lunch and dinner time for everyone to meet up. And what’s in schedule today. I had a rehearsal dinner follow by welcome party at the beach and we had big groups all together at all times so that was nice.
    My last tip... if you go tropical and beach... be careful of the sun before the wedding and tan lines. Not only you but also your fiancé. My husband had full in red face and ended up getting make up for our wedding.
    Ufff long post. Got excited lol
    Good luck!
  • Miranda
    Dedicated September 2020
    Miranda ·

Me and my FH are doing a Destination Wedding in North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. We are having a super small wedding, and doing most everything ourselves it might be a little stressful but it is so worth it

• Amber
    Devoted May 2020
    Amber ·
    We’re having a destination wedding because we’ve always wanted a beach wedding and we’ve got guests coming from all over the country, so we might as well go someplace fun! Our mothers gave us the hardest time about it being a destination so be prepared for push back from family members, but our friends are all on board and excited.

Location: We’re having our wedding at Secrets Capri in Playa del Carmen, Mexico. I wanted an adults only all-inclusive resort so our guests don’t have to worry about anything from the time they get off the plane until they get back on it. I researched a LOT of AI resorts in Jamaica, the Bahamas, St. Lucia, Aruba, Turks & Caicos, US VI and Mexico. Ultimately, I chose Secrets Capri because of the fantastic wedding on-site team and we were able to visit the resort prior to booking at a severely discounted rate that Secrets offers. Also, getting married at a resort with a wedding coordinator takes a lot of hassle out of the planning.

Things to consider: Budget (yours and what’s a comfortable price per couple for your guests), how many of your guests will actually travel, wedding packages offered at the resort and most importantly, research the marriage requirements of the country you wish to get married in IF you want a legal ceremony there.
  • Megan
    Devoted March 2021
    Megan ·
    View Quoted Comment
    I want to do something like this! 💜Everyone else I talk to wants to about a beach wedding keeps saying more exotic places!
  • Miranda
    Dedicated September 2020
    Miranda ·
    View Quoted Comment
    I love it because its close to home for us but not close its 10 hours away so my guests and me dpnt have to spend an arm and a leg to get there plus if I wanted to visit the site in advance it's close enough to make a long weekend out of
  • Jeanie
    Super February 2020
    Jeanie ·
    View Quoted Comment
    We are having it at the Sheraton Suites in Key West. The ceremony will be across the street on Smathers Beach.
  • Tiffany
    Beginner February 2024
    Tiffany ·
    Hey i am having my destination wedding in puerto rico! We havent chose our venue yet but i have it narrowed down to like 3 places and the hotels and vendors ive been in contact with are very nice and reasonably priced too for everything a wedding needs and its so pretty there with their bioluminescent waters they have
  • Cassi
    Super October 2019
    Cassi ·

So my DW is by no means tropical (great smoky mountains in TN). BUT my best friend decided on a cruise wedding back in 2017 and it was so much fun! Instead of being married on the boat she chose one of our destinations and hired a planner and got it all booked. We went on a 7 day cruise (their wedding was our first destination) first spot where they got married was Grand Cayman! The photos were beautiful it was amazing and honestly she said it wasn't really stressful because the planner did it all for her(bonus is was surprisingly really affordable she said). Then she had the remaining 5 days of the cruise and 3 destinations to enjoy being married and they treated it like their honeymoon. she said she would 100% do it all over again!

Comment on this discussion