Hi everyone! I’m supposed to get married 8/28 and hopefully that does happen. I’m wondering if I have to postpone to 2021 if my fiancé and I can elope this year and then get married in the church the following year? Let me know your thoughts. I just don’t want the coronavirus to ruin such a special time for my fiancé and I.
You can still have a public ceremony, but it’s definitely a discussion to have with your pastor. With having such a span of time between the elopement and the public ceremony, I might would just word it as a vow renewal. But I had a family friend who they were married at the justice of the peace though they were already planning a wedding in august (he was in the military and it had to be done quickly for housing), our pastor was aware and worded some things differently during the public ceremony, but the ceremony was very similar to a regular wedding.
I'm sorry you're having to think about postponing your August wedding on top of planning your big day.
I agree with the recommendations above. While this is definitely an uncertain time, it seems like plenty of August couples are waiting to make postponement decisions. Of course, everyone's situation is different, so it never hurts to be proactive about plan B!