Eli
Beginner September 2011

Cash Registry

Eli, on January 20, 2011 at 12:57 AM Posted in Planning 1 35
Saved

Can anyone tell me what is the best cash registry? What are the fee’s involved and why you would recommend them?

35 Comments

Latest activity by Lauren, on March 8, 2019 at 11:11 AM
  • Cecy
    Super October 2011
    Cecy ·
    • Flag

I really dont know it works but I've been looking at depositagift.com and im sure you can ask for cash. Hope it helps =D

• Kathy
    Master July 2010
    Kathy ·
    • Flag

Honestly, asking for cash, IMHO, is tacky.

• Eli
    Beginner September 2011
    Eli ·
    • Flag

Thanks Cecy.

Katy we already living together & we have everything we need so instead of having two of everything, it's better to set up a cash registry.

• Cecy
    Super October 2011
    Cecy ·
    • Flag

I was thinking the same thing Eli; if you live together and have everything what can you register for??? Where I lived I been to a few weddings and they told us it was "Money tree" and I thought oh well they want to be able to buy what they need or want instead of getting a set of Tupperware set lol.. I personally don't think is tacky it depends on each couple and I didn't feel offended or anything at those weddings. Good luck Smiley smile

• K
    Savvy May 2010
    Kathryn ·
    • Flag

Yikes - sorry about the multiple posting. I had an Internet connection problem. I can't find how to delete the extra posts. Any recommendations?

• Nicci
    Master July 2010
    Nicci ·
    • Flag

I agree that asking for money is tacky. My husband and I lived together almost 3 years before marriage and had most everything. Albeit we asked for upgraded stuff. Some people prefer to buy a gift so usually registering for stuff like towels, blankets, etc will suffice. Also you can have a honeymoon fund but many people on here will agree that there is no good/cute/loving way to say "I invited you to my wedding now give me money as a gift." Sorry.

• Anonymous
    Devoted August 2012
    Anonymous ·
    • Flag

I'm totally in this boat. We've lived together for years, and honestly everything normally found on a registry is stuff we already have. I'm thinking we'll set up at least one standard registry, probably at BBB. One cash registry I've looked at is www.uponourstar.com I'm not sure about their fees though. Also, an old neighbor of mine got married maybe 5 or 6 years ago and said "no gifts" on the invites/website. Folks brought tons of checks and gift cards apparently. So you might think of that...

Honestly I don't think it's selfish. If you don't need new towels or a 12 piece fine dining set, but you do need a new dishwasher or an extra mortgage payment...

• 2d Bride
    Champion October 2009
    2d Bride ·
    • Flag

The thing is, a registry is supposed to tell your guests what you want, in case they feel like giving you a gift. Everyone knows that everyone wants cash, so there is no need for a registry for it. You just don't have a registry, and tell your wedding party and your parents (the people most likely to be asked), "We don't really have any specific things we need, but we're saving for [some objective here]." Those who are comfortable giving cash gifts will do so.

• Mrs. Montoya!!!
    VIP October 2011
    Mrs. Montoya!!! ·
    • Flag

I dont think its tacky. More and more couples now days are opting for monetary gift since more and more couples buy a home and all there belongings and live together before marrige. I have seen invitation suggesting just your presence, but if you want to donate towards (ie. honeymoon) thats fine. Usually if you dont register anywhere people will ask someone in your family or bridal party so make sure they know how to respond. If you google wedding cash registries all kinds of sites come up.

• R
    Devoted April 2010
    rubyjem ·
    • Flag

I agree that asking for money is tacky (for all situations, not just depending on the couple) and I can't even imagine what a cash registry would look like. Please don't do it.

The better way to handle this is to set up a small registry where you can upgrade some of the items you need. Then, if people ask your family where you are registered, they can tell them where you are registered but that you are also that you are saving for whatever (a home, home renovations, a honeymoon, etc.). There is no need to actually register for money - that just sounds so strange to me.

Wouldn't you rather have people hand you checks that you instead of using a website where you have to pay a fee? As a guest, I would rather make sure that you were getting ALL the money I was gifting, instead of just some of it.

• Mrs. Montoya!!!
    VIP October 2011
    Mrs. Montoya!!! ·
    • Flag

I am having a "wishing well" on my gift table that is made to hold cards or cash for people who choose to give money. I am sure that some people will still bring gifts, but I am not registering anywhere and leaving it up to them.

• Cecy
    Super October 2011
    Cecy ·
    • Flag

I don't want to be rude or anything but what would you do something you really don't want just because someone think is tacky.. Trust me no matter how fancy you think your wedding is someone will find something to criticize. I do have a registry because we just moved in together and we're missing a lot of things. Why to get stuck with something you dont want?? My sister got married last year and she didn't have a registry well she is now stuck with 3 china ware that she doesn't even like. People that love you would not care what's on your registry, they'll make sure you get what you need. Just a thought Smiley smile

• Pandybear
    Dedicated December 2010
    Pandybear ·
    • Flag

We used depositagift.com and loved it. you don't want to think of it as asking for cash, but rather as registering for things that you can't register for at a traditional store. we had the basics and preferred money towards our honeymoon and new living room furniture. you don't just make 1 gift item that says "gimme money"...you make it fun for guests by breaking the gifts up into contribution parts. they still get to pick out something special and you get what you want without the hassle of returns. besides the fact that their customer service is over the top and the site is really easy to use, the fee was worth it because it saved us the hassle of having to keep track of envelopes at the wedding (you're too busy that day and thins can get lost or stolen) and getting gifts we wouldn't use which is wasteful & i'd feel bad for the guest. deposit a gift lets you withdraw your money as often as you like and they offer FREE direct deposit!!! i'd definitely check it out Smiley smile

• Christina
    Devoted September 2011
    Christina ·
    • Flag

I would just not register, and then most people will just give you cash. Asking for money is totally tacky.

• R
    Super March 2011
    Rane ·
    • Flag

I gotta agree with the majority... Setting up just a cash registry is a no no. I would suggest that if you do go ahead with your plans to also choose a couple of stores that you really LOVE and wouldn't mind gift cards too. Add some items... it doesn't have to be the usual kitchen stuff that everyone registers for... then add the gift card option.

• S
    Dedicated May 2011
    SailerGrl ·
    • Flag

What is tacky to some is not to others and vice versa so we shouldn't be so quick to judge...it's all a matter of taste. you guys might like this article on the subject: http://offbeatbride.com/2011/01/wedding-cash-gifts when it comes to a preference for monetary gifts, even emily post (miss manners) gives it a thumbs up; the only rule regarding gifts per her, is that you don't mention the registry on the invite (only on the insert or wedding website). other than that, you should just do what works for you as a couple.

• M
    Master March 2011
    Mrs. Boat ·
    • Flag

I registered for www.honeyfund.com. It's a way to ask for contibutions toward a honeymoon. People will give us money, they get to choose what it goes towards (dinner, spa treatments, airfare, etc), and they can do cash or check, and if you have a paypal, they can wire money there. The site has fees if you choose to do the paypal receipt, or if you choose to pay for a "better" background for your site.

If people choose to give us money, then great. Everything is paid for already, so this is just to pay ourselves back lol.

• Celia Milton
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

It's tacky no matter how you orchestrate it. Most people will give you money anyway.

• J
    Just Said Yes October 2011
    Jacklin ·
    • Flag

I would go register with myregistry.com. Not only is it an online gift registry, but you can set up a cash gift registry for whatever you'd like. I like it because I have both my honeymoon fund and a regular registry for those guests who prefer to purchase a gift all under the same registry. It's free to set up the account, but PayPal does charge a small fee.

• Carole M (a.k.a "old tart")
    Master October 2011
    Carole M (a.k.a "old tart") ·
    • Flag

I will agree with the majority here. No matter who you are, what your circumstances are, it is beyond tacky to ask for money. In my area and culture, registering for gifts and receiving gifts is for the engagement party and the bridal shower. For weddings, everyone gives money.

People who love you will know you need money and give it to you. There is no need to be tacky about asking for it. If I were to receive info from a couple about a cash registry, I would purposefully not give them cash because of their poor manners.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics