The Nuptials
VIP July 2018

Big Island Honeymoon and Pending Plans

The Nuptials, on May 22, 2018 at 1:15 PM Posted in Honeymoon 0 12
Saved Save

Anyone starting to rethink their plans for a Big Island honeymoon in the near future? We are booked for mid July and I got a killer deal on a glitch airfare of $350pp roundtrip from DC, so I will be bummed to give that up.

My fiancé is starting to get a little nervous about continuing on with our plans because of the toxic gases, our hotel is about 2hrs away and of course their site says they are open for business. This was week one for us, the second week was to be to Kauai but our in an out flights to the east coast are both via the Big Island.

Anyone else scrambling?

12 Comments

• Neffe
    Master July 2020
    Neffe ·

Hello! I can understand your fiance's nervousness. Have you all designed an alternative plan in the event that things don't work out?

I am also excited to see that you have an upcoming wedding. What major things do you have left to do? Are you still going for a rustic theme?

• amandaaok
    VIP June 2018
    amandaaok ·
    I would definitely purchase insurance for the trip if possible, that way in case they order evacuations or anything like that and you have to cancel then you won't be out all of your money.

Otherwise, the big island is beautiful and BIG. There are lots of areas and 2 different airports...I assume you would be flying into Hilo, but you can also fly into Kailua-Kona and there are a lot of resorts etc on that side of the island...as far as gasses/fumes I would say again you shouldn't be concerned about that unless they're evacuating areas due to it..honestly the ash is what would be bad and if you aren't close enough for the ash to have any effect then you're fine.

I have a friend who lives there on the Hilo side and they're all right, nothing near them.

The lava is exciting to see, we took a lava boat tour when the firehose was going into the ocean last year and it was amazing! There's a page for Lava Boat Tours, you should check them out if Facebook they have a lot of info about where the lava is flowing and of course the state tourism page too.
  • C
    Devoted September 2020
    Caitlin ·
    Could you still fly in/out of the big island, move your transportation to Kauai earlier and spend the whole trip in Kauai?
  • The Nuptials
    VIP July 2018
    The Nuptials ·
    View Quoted Comment

We are actually flying in and out of KOA and the resort is close to KOA. 50 days from now things could calm down... or not. I would like to stay the course but at this point I don't care, just give me a beach and a cold drink!

• The Nuptials
    VIP July 2018
    The Nuptials ·
    View Quoted Comment

Yeah, we got engaged in Maui and we are considering going back before Kauai, or maybe Oahu? I'm hellbent on using these flights hahaha

• AmandaJHGV
    Devoted October 2017
    AmandaJHGV ·
    View Quoted Comment

Yeah, this was my first thought too -- fly into KOA as planned then catch an island-hopper either straight to Kauai or to another island prior to Kauai. Yeah, you'll have to pay for a few extra intra-island flights, but I think with your glitch airfare TO the islands you'll still come out ahead.

• amandaaok
    VIP June 2018
    amandaaok ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Oh, dude you're totally fine don't sweat it! The Resorts are also reaaaaally good about taking care of guests ...if super concerned, then look into insurance for the trip..but I think you'll be fine.
  • Sarah Katreen
    Dedicated August 2018
    Sarah Katreen ·

We've been to Kona and around the island twice and the area being affected is remote and on the other end of the island. You will be just fine.

• Gipperkm
    Super September 2018
    Gipperkm ·

We're going to Oahu and Maui in September for our honeymoon. I haven't been following things too much because every time I check, I read/hear that Oahu and Maui haven't been all that affected by the ash and gases (haven't checked in a while, hopefully this hasn't changed!). I honestly think you'll be fine. It's such a small portion of the Big Island that was affected. If it really was unsafe for people, the resorts would be closed. But, I agree with others about getting the trip insurance, just to be on the safe side.

• amandaaok
    VIP June 2018
    amandaaok ·
    Omg..so my friend who lives in Hilo shared this and I had to giggle and come share with you
    I mean, sucks for Pahoa( it's already a super run down little backwoods kind of tiny town)...but you're more than in the clear as of now

Big Island Honeymoon and Pending Plans 1
  • The Nuptials
    VIP July 2018
    The Nuptials ·
    View Quoted Comment

HAHAHAHA, had to show this to my fiancé.

I think we will stay the course, I have a resort in Mexico on back up that I can cancel 24hrs out and its a easy flight for us if need be.

• Greta
    Savvy January 2019
    Greta ·

I live on the kona side of the Big Island. Down in south Kona the vog can get pretty rough, but up north where are the resorts are, you would have no idea that there was a volcano going off on the island. This picture was taken last week from the Mauna Lani.

Fairmont Orchid ResortBig Island Honeymoon and Pending Plans 2

Comment on this discussion