June
Devoted June 2015

Before you were engaged?

June, on March 18, 2015 at 9:25 AM Posted in Community Conversations 0 163
Saved Save

So before I begin, let me say that I'm not trying to offend or call anybody out, I'm genuinely curious. I started lurking on another forum (may or may not rhyme with bedding wee) and was surprised that they had an entire section for people who weren't yet engaged. They even had threads going for people to say how long they had been expecting their ring and what they wanted, etc. It completely surprised me how many people were active on that board!

Did any of you join a wedding forum before you were engaged? If so, why? And did you find it helpful? Personally I think I would have gone CRAZY if I was looking at forums with people who WERE engaged and planning their wedding. I had a secret wedding Pinterest board, but that's as far as I went! What about you?

163 Comments

• alyshadanielle
    Master April 2015
    alyshadanielle ·
    • Flag

I didn't join a forum, look at websites, or have a pinterest board. I wasn't interested in any of that until after the fact.

• D + S
    Super October 2015
    D + S ·
    • Flag

Lol that's crazy in my opinion! lol I never got on any sort of forums or joined any sort of wedding website.. I was afraid I would jinx it or something lol (even though I knew it wouldn't really) My mom even wanted me to try on wedding dresses before I got engaged and I refused. I did do a wedding pinterest board, as I think every normal woman does! lol

• Karen
    Expert September 2015
    Karen ·
    • Flag

I never did. It would have driven me that much more crazy while waiting for my proposal!

• Lucy
    Master April 2015
    Lucy ·
    • Flag

That's nuts lol I didn't do any planning before being engaged.

• Nina
    Devoted May 2015
    Nina ·
    • Flag

I did have a Pintrest board, but there was like nothing on it. And I didn't even think about any wedding forum, it just wasn't my focus.

• Elyse
    Master September 2015
    Elyse ·
    • Flag

I did not join any, but I kind of wish I had. By the time I came on here, I had already blindly booked vendors and whatnot. There's a lot I learned here that I wish I had done before I rushed into things. Budget is a big one too, because you just don't realize all the little costs that add up until you get into the planning.

• Christine
    Master October 2015
    Christine ·
    • Flag

I lurked on the Knot's mobile app for a couple of years before actually getting engaged lol. Mostly for entertainment (they cray over there). ETA: I definitely had a pinterest board too.

• Genny
    Master May 2015
    Genny ·
    • Flag

No I never did. When I knew that we wanted to get married, but we just didn't have the money for what we wanted, I would enter contests sometimes. I had a pinterest board and my mom would send me ideas sometimes.

• JCB
    Master September 2015
    JCB ·
    • Flag

No I never did. I did not want to plan the wedding until I had to haha!

• Taryn
    Super May 2015
    Taryn ·
    • Flag

I was like you, I had a secret pinterest board but that's it!

• N
    VIP October 2015
    natalie ·
    • Flag

I didn't join a forum until after we were engaged. I had no clue what I was doing; however, I still managed to find amazing vendors through the power of the interwebs. I did have a secret wedding board, but in all honestly I haven't really used any of it. I quickly found out how expensive all the crap was that I pinned.

• AthenaKay
    Master June 2015
    AthenaKay ·
    • Flag

I found this forum before I was engaged but for a good reason. Before I was engaged I knew I wanted to get my mom's wedding dress redone and started looking online to see if there way anyone out there who had done it. I found a thread on here about someone redoing their dress, and that's how I found WW. I lurked a bit, but wasn't too involved. Once I became engaged I was more active in the forums.

I do find it funny that wedding bee has an entire section for girls not engaged yet haha. Never been over there, but to each their own I guess.

• C&S
    VIP June 2015
    C&S ·
    • Flag

I lurked on TK for a couple months before the proposal...but only for the awesome drama they have on there. I never cared about wedding dresses/flowers/etc.

• KayDwitWill
    Master May 2015
    KayDwitWill ·
    • Flag

I never even heard of these types of boards until I was engaged and planning my wedding. I think it's help to read about dos and don'ts before it's your time to start planning.

• Mrs. Nicole
    Master May 2016
    Mrs. Nicole ·
    • Flag

I occasionally looked at engagement rings and dresses online when I wondered if he would ever do it lol, but never did anything extensive until like 3 months after I got the ring on my finger.

• karebear87
    VIP May 2015
    karebear87 ·
    • Flag

Ummm no. I think that's weird. Didn't do any wedding things until after engagement.

• Beth
    Expert March 2016
    Beth ·
    • Flag

I didn't join a forum before we were officially engaged. I looked around and looked into WW before we were engaged but only because I knew as of October 31st a proposal was going to happen. FH and I had plans for getting engaged after he finished the academy. Well he finished Oct 31st so I knew it would be sometime after that. He wanted to surprise me with a traditional proposal so he kept it a secret until he proposed January 10th.

• Missys984
    Master October 2015
    Missys984 ·
    • Flag

I had a pinterst board but I didn't join here or anything like that. I probably would have gone crazy looking at everything.

• BringOnMay!
    Super May 2015
    BringOnMay! ·
    • Flag

I only had a pinterest board for cute wedding ideas I liked. I even suggested some of the ideas for my friends before I was engaged.

• B
    Super August 2015
    Buttons125 ·
    • Flag

I had one of those secret boards on Pinterest that only I could see where I would pin stuff I came across. It had maybe 10 pins by the time I got engaged. I also used to check out the engaged hashtag on Instagram to you know.......browse. Lol but as far as actually looking into vendors or venues or dresses or anything like that never did that until it was official.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics