We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Shannon
Expert May 2012

Anyone a Tequila connoisseur?

Shannon, on October 19, 2011 at 5:28 PM Posted in Planning 0 20
Saved Save

I am finally getting my margarita bar together but I have a confession to make....I do not know anything about making a fantastic margarita. What is the best Tequila to use? Although I am not a margarita drinker ( I love my beer... he he he) that is what I want at my reception to go with the mexican food. Any advice on the best Tequila to use would be appreciated. Keep in mind that I will NOT be the one making the margaritas, thank heavens for that, but I will be purchasing all the ingredients.

20 Comments

Latest activity by Agata, on October 20, 2011 at 3:13 PM
  • MekMek
    Master June 2012
    MekMek ·
    • Flag

You can't go wrong with Patrón but it is on the high end and many venue will considered it top shelf (price wise).

• Victoria C. Hernandez
    Master July 2011
    Victoria C. Hernandez ·
    • Flag

In my opinion the best tequila for shots is Patron silver... served with orange wedges instead of the usual lemon and salt. But I dont' think you need to go high end for margaritas , its mixed and really a waste to use the expensive stuff. I stay away from Jose Cuervo for shots but I think it works fine for margaritas Just my opinion...but I'd use the cheaper stuff

• Elizabeth
    Super March 2011
    Elizabeth ·
    • Flag

1800 Silver or Anejo, Cazadores any of them. Those are my favs.

• Elizabeth
    Super March 2011
    Elizabeth ·
    • Flag

NOOOOOOOOOO! Cheap tequila in margaritas is the worst! I can totally taste it! But maybe I'm too much of an alky :-D

• Amanda
    Master July 2012
    Amanda ·
    • Flag

I love tequila! If you are doing shots, you can't go wrong with Patron. I think Patron Silver goes down smoother. If you are doing margaritas, then Jose Cuervo works just fine. Its less expensive and I don't think there is a taste difference.

• Shannon
    Expert May 2012
    Shannon ·
    • Flag

Thanks everyone....At least that gives me a starting point. I am sure at some point in the night there will be a few people wanting to do shots, so maybe start with Jose Cuervo in the margaritas and buy a couple of bottles of Patron for the crazies later in the night?!?!?

• Pan
    Master March 2012
    Pan ·
    • Flag

I'm a bartender, and Jose Cuervo is fine for margeritas. The Patron for shots may become a problem. If people know it's free everyone will want one, because it's a pricey shot people usually don't do on a regular basis. I have seen maybe an odd dozen people turn down a free patron. It's also about $40 for 750ml bottle, so really it depends on what you want to spend.

• Jen H.
    Master October 2012
    Jen H. ·
    • Flag

Cielo Resposado (about $35), El Jimador (about $30) & Hacienda Vieja resposado (about $30) are good. If you want something a little more premium, San Matias gran reserve or Dos Lunas anejo (both around $50). Or if you want a really superb tequila and don't mind spending the money El Conde Azul blanco (it comes in a really cool looking bottle). I think it runs about $80 a bottle depending on area.

Patron, FH and I feel are overpriced for the quality of the tequila. Whatever you chose, you should be sure to pick something that is 100% agave. Otherwise, you'll get a blend of tequila and other grain alcohols....which is fine, there are some great blends out there.

For margaritas, you can get a pure agave tequila for VERY cheap, and since it is being mixed it really won't matter too terribly much. =)

• Shannon
    Expert May 2012
    Shannon ·
    • Flag

Thanks Pan..... I may re-think the shots but I was thinking that they would be for the few that were lingering later. There will probably only be 75 people at the reception and by the looks of the guest list there may be 10 -15 that hang for the "after party". But if I don't get Patron what is another good Tequila for shots thats not as pricey? My FH's friends definately like to party, so I may just want to end the reception and they can take the party to another place!

• EdieKristen
    Master March 2013
    EdieKristen ·
    • Flag

All I know is Chili's has excellent margaritas, and Olive Garden has TERRIBLE ones. Lol. And if I make them at home I usually go with Jose Cuervo.

• Julie B
    Master May 2012
    Julie B ·
    • Flag

Well, margaritas are my drink of choice, and I like the flavor of the whole drink. I have found that a good(pricey) tequila over powers the drink. For shots, Cuervo gold is my favorite, but when we make margaritas at home, we just use a bargain tequila or what would be considered a "well" tequila at most bars. We make them like this: Remember we're old, and don't go too boozy.

1 1/2 oz tequila

1/2 oz triple sec--Hiram Walker--it IS alcoholic, not the triple sec syrup and it has the best flavor IMO

a splash of Rose's Lime

fill the glass with lemonade-we use Crystal Light. These are a great margarita that is low in calories and not too heavy on the alcohol content.

• Julie B
    Master May 2012
    Julie B ·
    • Flag

Hey--we're doing a Cinco De Mayo wedding too!!! We are having our margaritas, and also a white sangria that I found the recipe for at Taste Of Home--Mek Mek sent me a link. They have a great page devoted to Cinco De Mayo foods and drinks. Check it out if you are still looking for menu ideas.

• Shannon
    Expert May 2012
    Shannon ·
    • Flag

Thanks Julie...I will check it out!

• Jen P.
    Master January 2012
    Jen P. ·
    • Flag

I may not know everything about Tequila, but I do know this.... Tarantula tequila is evil..... super deliciously evil.. lucky for you, it's on the pricey side so you probably won't be apt to purchase it in bulk for your guests, but be aware that it has superpowers to knock you on your a** or, in my case, flat on your face Smiley sad

That's all I'm sayin'

• Jen P.
    Master January 2012
    Jen P. ·
    • Flag

Stupid duplicate comments, argh!

• Shannon
    Super April 2012
    Shannon ·
    • Flag

I think Jose and Patron are the only two I drink.

Side note - SAME NAME! Woah!

• Celia Milton
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

Patron.....

• Shannon
    Expert May 2012
    Shannon ·
    • Flag

Thanks for all the ideas, ladies. Since I live in a very small town, I am making a trip to a bigger town in a few weeks. I will be checking out prices on just about everything, including the Tequila.....

@ Jen L. I have never heard of Tarantula Tequila, and by the sounds of it I probably will never touch the stuff. I actually call Tequila, "to kill ya" I have never had a good experience will any of it. I know, it seems silly that I am having it at my wedding, but FH loves Margaritas and it goes with the Mexican food. Good thing I like beer and I may have my own stash of rum..... he he

• Agata
    Expert June 2012
    Agata ·
    • Flag

Cabo Wabo is good. Patron too if you wanna splurge.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles