wilma
Devoted May 2012

another alternative for Photo Booth and Candy station. Seem like everyone is doing it.

wilma, on August 10, 2011 at 10:49 PM Posted in Community Conversations 0 49
Saved Save

I was thinking of the candy station and photo booth but seems like everyone is doing it and its not gona be unique. I think I will Make a Chocolate station with Chocolate fountain or fondue table with cake pops. I really want a photo booth from the start but seem so played out. I wish the make a video booth or something. I dunno, I am just speaking my mind out.

49 Comments

• Ester C
    VIP July 2012
    Ester C ·
    • Flag

I love the idea of a chocolate fountain!

• Melanie
    Expert March 2012
    Melanie ·
    • Flag

Me too

• Tach
    Master July 2012
    Tach ·
    • Flag

The chocolate station sounds awesome!

• Jamie
    VIP August 2011
    Jamie ·
    • Flag

We're doing a candy buffet because our most precious guests are our children, who'll just love it. So will the guys. =) So not too concerned about it being overrated.

But, we'll have other desserts around our cake, including banana pudding and key lime pie.

We'll also be having a campfire on the beach so that's unique enough for us.

Chocolate fountains also seem to be gaining popularity, so I'd say just go with what you know your guests will enjoy.

• Meredith
    Expert October 2011
    Meredith ·
    • Flag

We're doing milk and cookies. I started baking mini cookies and we'll serve them with shot glasses of milk. It's different and easy to bake and freeze. We're doing choc chip, macadamia nut, peanut butter and oatmeal.

• Meredith
    Expert October 2011
    Meredith ·
    • Flag

We're doing milk and cookies. I started baking mini cookies and we'll serve them with shot glasses of milk. It's different and easy to bake and freeze. We're doing choc chip, macadamia nut, peanut butter and oatmeal.

• H
    Dedicated September 2011
    Heather ·
    • Flag

Maybe you could make your own photobooth instead of renting one?!

• Kimm
    Master October 2012
    Kimm ·
    • Flag

I'm going to have a chocolate fountain as well. Both FH and I love that idea. We will be using colored chocolate, haven't fully decided on which color yet - either purple or orange to go with our theme, leaning towards the orange right now. We will also be having a candy buffet but we also need to discuss some of the other things that we'll be having cuz I think we're starting to go a bit overboard here.....LOL

• Trina
    Devoted June 2013
    Trina ·
    • Flag

We're planning a pudding bar Smiley laugh

• Celia Milton
    January 2020
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

In my area, the chocolate fountains have been around way longer than the photobooths or candy buffets; and they are messy as anything. I love the idea of the mini cookies and milk!

Keep in mind that some thing seem played out because you're so immersed in wedding research, lol. Many of your guests have probably never encountered either, and they'll love both!

• Wicked Lizzie
    VIP September 2011
    Wicked Lizzie ·
    • Flag

Dripping chocolate and white dress no thanks sounds like a mess.

We are doing lots of deserts a whole table

• Stephanie Couch
    January 2020
    Stephanie Couch ·
    • Flag

I just helped plan a wedding soooo what about a popcorn bar? Popcorn with different flavors: butter, white/dark chocolate, bbq, salty, etc.

• Dena&JD
    Master April 2012
    Dena&JD ·
    • Flag

In my area chocolate fountains are overused ant IMO too messy, specially if you have kids at the wedding.

Only one of my guests have been to a wedding with photobooths, so I know in my case this will be something Completely new.

Candy bars are overused over here too

Love the idea of a dessert buffet ur a late night snack

• Private User
    Just Said Yes September 2011
    Private User ·
    • Flag

As someone else said...just because you see them all online doesn't mean many people have experienced them. I only know a handful of people here in western PA that have been to a wedding with a photo booth and those were all the ones that you pose and they print strips of pics.

I'm heading to my parents to build mine tonight with my dad. We're doing one in the style of set wall, where it will be wallpapered and have large frames hung with large holes cut out so you can pose behind the wall (or even lean through for a 3D effect.)

We're also ending the night with a S'mores bar and will have the PA tradition of the cookie table. We'll have a multi tiered wooden display holding cake pops instead of a traditional cake as well.

Who cares what is "overplayed?" Your wedding is about what YOU will enjoy and what your guests will have fun with. If you love photo booths, have a photo booth. If you don't, then think about what you DO love and play off of that.

• wilma
    Devoted May 2012
    wilma ·
    • Flag

I guess in my side everyone had photobooth even in sweet sixteen. Choco buffet was wat i am aiming for nt just the fountain(My friends wedding had s fountain n not even the kids got choco on their dress.lol). Sure it was around since 2000's. I like yhe 3D effect-sounds cool with hanging frames. Thanks for the insights.

• Jill
    Devoted September 2012
    Jill ·
    • Flag

We are hiring Cold Stone Creamery to bring in their "cool cart" We get to choose a few different kinds of ice cream and several different toppings and then they have an employee come in and mix/hand out the ice cream to everyone!

• C
    Expert June 2012
    C ·
    • Flag

Chocolate Fountians are used way more than candy bars. I don't think any of them are played out. Most of your guest aren't going to that many wedding where they are at the point of getting tired of those things. Go with want you want and not worry about something being overdone. If you want a photo booth and candy bar, go for it.

• wilma
    Devoted May 2012
    wilma ·
    • Flag

Yah why not have it all Smiley smile. Thanks guys

• April2012Bride
    Super April 2012
    April2012Bride ·
    • Flag

I like Jill D's idea of the ice cream cart. I was going to suggest an ice cream bar in general with toppings and what not. That's pretty different.

• Sara
    Dedicated September 2011
    Sara ·
    • Flag

We're doing a candy buffet at our wedding and I had started planning it before I knew that it was really a trendy thing. Our theme for our reception is Firefigher/Theatre since my FH is a firefighter and I'm a big theatre and movie buff. We're going to have the candy buffet set up to look like a movie concession stand, we're using popcorn tubs for the candy instead of glass bowls. We're also making labels for the candy using movie themed items and we're serving popcorn too. We're having a milk and cookie bar too since my FH is a huge cookie fiend and the items on the table labeling the different types of cookies and bars will be fire fighter themed items.

I think it's all in the staging and how you set it up. You can take something that's been done before and put your own unique twist on it and make it something really original.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics