MorningStar Photography Reviews

45 | Columbia, MD

45 Reviews for MorningStar Photography

Cynthia · Married on 10/08/2005

I am hoping to let brides in the Washington Metropolitan area (Baltimore, MD) know of Morningstar Photography and my experience. Alan and Carla Rein really worked with not only myself for my wedding but also the other vendors (videographer, lighting, etc) to create a special and memorable wedding book. My wedding book is absolutely breathtaking and I always get compliments on the originality of the work and the book itself. They are a joy to work with from beginning to the end. It would be great to see them listed on your site.

Sent on 06/20/2007

Lynn · Married on 06/14/2003

What can we say about Morningstar Photography that would do them justice? Aside from Alan Rein being the most personable, artistic and professional photographer we've ever dealt with, the quality and extraordinary beauty of his photographs truly surpass anything we could say. His staff will go above and beyond to ensure that your event is much more than a day to remember. Alan's pleasant and calming demeanor removes any nervousness you may have about being photographed and he works with you every step of the way to provide nothing less than perfection.

As for the price, I think you would have a great deal of difficulty finding a photographer who offers a better package and quality for the cost in the Maryland, Virginia or Washington DC areas. We invite you to take a look at their site and see some of the outstanding work he and his staff have done! It has now been 4 years since our wedding and people STILL rave that our Storybook album and our photographs are some of the best they have ever seen, including those of superstar weddings! Now that we are expecting twins, we couldn't think of anyone else that we would want photographing our pregnancy and our babies!

Honestly, throughout the planning of our wedding, Morningstar Photography became more like family than just another vendor. So if you want a photographer who will care for you and your special day as if it were his own, we can't recommend anyone better!!!

Richard & Lynn Spencer
    Owings Mills, MD

Sent on 07/07/2007

Mary · Married on 11/06/1999

The couple that own this company were really great at helping us map out the shots that we wanted to capture at the wedding, as well as which ones would make the best selections for the albums. They had a couple of different packages which were reasonably priced and covered all the bases. On the day itself, they were great at "directing" the posed shots. And they got loads of great candids -- I hardly saw them and didn't feel like I was in a paparazzi situation or anything like that.

Sent on 05/27/2008

Tamika · Married on 04/28/2007

Morningstar Photography made me feel like the most important bride in the world. We visited their gallery and immediate knew that these were the photographers for us. From our engagement pictures, to the last shot of our guest leaving the reception, they have done a first class job with our wedding memories. The photographer, who shot our wedding Alan, had tremendous vision and it showed it all of the wonder photos we have to choose from. You won't be disappointed – we surely weren’t.

The Rawlings
    Upper Marlboro, MD

Sent on 06/17/2007

Lara · Married on 06/25/2006

We loved Morningstar Photography!!! They knew all about the traditional ceremony we were having. They were reasonably priced and produced beautiful photographs which became an ablum I love to look through. My wedding coordinator mentioned that they were not great at getting in touch with her, but my personal experience with them was awesome.

Sent on 03/22/2008

Ealia · Married on 05/13/2012

Alan was my photographer for my wedding and the pictures came out great. We have many pictures to choose from for our album. I recommend this phototgraphy company to anyone who has a special event coming up in their life that they would like to capture in a beautiful picture. We may be using them again in the future to capture our family portrait with our new baby boy.

Sent on 09/03/2012

Sheldon · Married on 05/06/2006

Morningstar Photography was an absolute delight to work with. Their professionalism, experience and outstanding customer service made my wife and me feel very comfortable on our big day. Morningstar's quality of service is second to none. Our photos, album and DVD are timeless pieces my wife and I will cherish for a life time. Morningstar will ALWAYS be our first choice for photogray!

Morningstar also captured our second most precious occasion - our first pregnancy! Alan and Carla presented us with quality depictions we continue to enjoy and share with family and friends.

Sent on 01/19/2009

Great job by Alan. Carla was excellent in keeping us informed about the process. The pictures were beautiful. I would have liked a few more shots and maybe since it is a relatively new venue Alan could have come a bit ealy to scope the place out for more options. We missed a few great opportunites that would have been nice to have for the photo album.

Sent on 09/28/2012

Judy · Married on 08/05/2006

3.8
      1.0

Let me start out by saying that my wedding album is absolutely beautiful. Alan and Carla were wonderful. However, the photographer that we went with, Nate, was very unprofessional. Alan was not available for our wedding date so we took his recommendation of Nate. Nate, did not show up to our suite the day of the wedding at the time he was to. He was not there to get any prep pictures. I had to stage a shot of me putting on make up. I was already dressed when he arrived so got no shots of dress hanging, shoes, etc. The hotel staff as well as the groom had to search for him, to find him outside smoking. He was constantly on the cell phone and smoking during the entire reception. At one point my bridesmaid saw him sleeping in a chair next to the DJ booth and took his picture. I had forgotten in the contract that I was to provide a meal for him (he was the only vendor it was required for) and this upset him. He left the reception before it ended complaining of being hungry and tired. We did not get any pictures of our last dance, nor any of the pictures we had requested after the reception (we were suppose to have him for 30 mins after the reception ended). We had to use pictures taken by my bridesmaid for the album to capture the last dance. He also only came equipped with on camera. Since they use 35 mm film (which I highly recommend), he ran out of film during the exchanging of the rings and was reloading when I was placing the ring on my husbands finger, so needless to say, we did not get a professional shot of that. Again, we had to rely on a picture taken by a guest. Alan and Carla were very apologetic and did discount the fees. I would highly recommed this company but would not use Nate as your photographer, if they are still employing him.

Sent on 04/04/2008
  • DARLENE

DARLENE · Married on 11/19/2011

3.6
      0.5

Alan was a wonderful photographer and he is amazing at what he does, he did our wedding photos and they came out beautifully. The only thing we had a difference of an opinion on were engagements photos which we were disappointed of the outcome; But the engagement session was a way for us to get comfortable with each other before the wedding. He really exceeded our expectations on our wedding day as to what we were looking for in our pictures. He was very comfortable to work with, professional and creative. He took a wonderful balance of different shots while catching the very most important moments.

Sent on 12/07/2011

Casey · Married on 08/04/2012

2.0

MorningStar Photography did a fantastic job with our wedding; however, we are coming up on our TWO-year anniversary and we still do not have our album. They also left out several shots on our '10 Must-Have Photos' list and they kind of 'took over' the wedding instead of working alongside the event coordinator that was there. I have tried to contact them several times but I typically receive a very brief, not-so-helpful answer, if I get any answer at all. I just tried to email them again about our album and received a message saying the email address I have for them is no longer set up...

The week after the wedding they were really pushy about asking us to give them good reviews on all of these sites; however, I am changing this review because we paid very good money for a good experience and we have not had one. The pictures they did get were wonderful but I am highly disappointed in their lack of professionalism.

Sent on 09/04/2012

Nicole · Married on 05/18/2013

1.8
      1.0

Morningstar photography did a good job at the wedding...but what has deter me from ever using this company again is the fact that I have not receive my album and it will be my one year anniversary. I have tried to make contact with them but no response all numbers have been disconnected. They did answer an email to give me a revised date of when I should receive my album but now as I follow up they are gone with the wind. What I thought was good work by people that care this experience is turning into a nightmare as they do follow through after they have your money. I would not recommend this company as they flaky when it comes to your final product....which is what really matters

Sent on 04/20/2014

Matilda · Married on 07/27/2013

1.0

I have yet to receive my wedding album since my wedding in 2013!!! If anyone know of Carla or Alan's where abouts please contact me at Matilda_tim@yahoo.com.

Sent on 04/26/2015

0.8
      2.0

I used this photography service for my wedding in 2011. Apparently this company employs other photographers in addition to the owner (Alan) himself; his wife (Carla) works as his "manager" and does all the book keeping. Anyway, after reviewing the work of different photographers I absolutely wanted the owner to take my wedding pictures however, he was not available on that day. Instead, I decided to go with a photographer they recommended who took pictures for their own wedding. thought to myself, 'how can I go wrong?' (although now that I think back I thought his work was 'ok'-I should have trusted my gut instinct and just pulled out of the deal). When dealing with this recommended photographer I received instructions to email him exactly what shots I wanted (family of the bride, family of the groom, etc.). Unfortunately that is NOT what happened-I do not even have a shot of me with my mother! Furthermore, I absolutely loved my centerpieces and did not even get one photo of that-instead I was told by one of my bridesmaids that she had to constantly tell this photographer to pay attention. He was not there when I threw the bouquet, and by the time it was time to cut the cake I had to yell, 'where is the photographer?!!!'. Instead of taking priceless pictures that I wanted instead there were 3 pictures of a birdcage and many of two brunette friends that attended my wedding that he apparently "admired" from afar. I was so upset and angry I did not provide him with a tip. There were also some other shots I specifically asked him to take at that moment and he did not take them. Word of advice: 1. STAY AWAY FROM THIS PHOTOGRAPHER and 2. if you're looking for one get one that uses more than one photographer for that day, because one photographer cannot get everything that is going on. Nothing can take back what was not captured that special day. When I complained to the owner, he just made excuses for this idiot.

Sent on 12/14/2014
  • User2196433 · 2+ years ago

0.6
      0.5

I want everyone to beware of Morningstar Photography. Do not use this company. It has been almost 2 years since my wedding and still have not received my photo album...which I have already paid for. After the wedding I have had much difficulty getting any kind of response from them, and when I have...they are very short and unpleasant. Alan was very unpleasant during our reception, he had attitude with family members requesting photos with us. Isn't that what they are supposed to do? I am sorry that I waited so long to write this review, but I want everyone to be aware of this Scam!

Sent on 05/08/2014

Jen · Married on 10/06/2012

0.6
      0.5

I can not believe the horrible service we have received from Morningstar Photography. My husband and I got married on October 6th 2012 and we STILL do not have our wedding album!!! For every 2-3 e-mails I send them regarding our album, I receive one "brush-off" response. You only get married once, do yourself a favor and find a photographer that will respond to your requests and produce the product they promise for the large amount of money you are spending. Alan and Carla seemed very interested in providing us with the type of shots we wanted but it seemed once they had our payment, they didn't care anymore. They asked me to provide a list of requested shots for our wedding day and then didn't take more than a quarter of these shots. When I asked Alan why he didn't take the photos on our list, he said "you got a lot of nice shots", well that's not an acceptable answer since we can't go back in time and get the shots we requested! So if you want your wedding photo album within a year of getting married and have certain photos you wish to have included, please, find another photographer, this company isn't for you. I wish I would have written this review earlier to save other brides that hassle. If there is one thing I would change about our wedding, it would our photographer.

UPDATE: Please look at BBB complaints on this company, I'm not the only one having this problem. Do not make the same mistake we did!!!

Sent on 03/09/2014

0.4
      0.5

I feel anyone finds my father let me know. He has a knuckle sandwich waiting for him. A lifetime wasted. Another deadbeat dad
    Love , Ant

Sent on 12/31/2016

DM · Married on 07/30/2011

0.2
      0.5

Do a search on the pending court cases this company has against them for breaching contracts! And check Better Business Bureau.

We were married in 2011 and still havent received our album! They will not respond to my inquiries about it either. Our friends were also married in 2011 and have the same issue.

Buyer beware...

Sent on 04/11/2014

0.2
      0.0

I've Been married almost 3 years now and still have yet to receive my albums. All services have been paid for. All means of communication are no longer valid. I've tried to search for phone numbers and everything is disconnected. Originally I thought this company was amazing, now, not so much. I can never get those moments back that were captured on my wedding day.

Sent on 05/15/2014

0.0

a Big ZERO out of /5 . I am asking for a collaborative effort to secure the funds that this charlatan has stolen from several brides, however well intentioned, yet simply too blissful to realize you do NOT pay for something you do Not have in your hand. However, "water under the bridge." I want each bride/groom who was hood winked by this "photographer" to call the MD Governor's office, Larry Hogan, to find out what must be done with this Thief. 2) Call/contact the office of the University of MD Law School law students who are able bodied and sufficiently ticked off at this story to seek out this Alan Rein and bring him in to answer the complaints of these people. Alan Rein stole several thousand dollars as he did not meet the terms of the contract and has ditched these people, with phone numbers and addresses which are no longer correct . The contract states that the photographer will take pictures of the wedding and make an album for the bride and groom of the pictures they chose. This was not accomplished ....contract broken by Alan Rein Photographer. Is there anyone out there who is willing to take this on for these young /foolish Brides who yes paid for a product before they received it ? I personally would like to sit down with the photographer Alan Rein who stole the thousands of dollars of these young brides and absolutely did not provide the brides with the product of the contract.... the album. Are there any young lawyers of the University of Md., The Catholic University of America, Georgetown University or Howard University Law Schools who are seeing this and willing to find this thief photographer, Alan Rein . I want my daughter to have her monies returned to her- she never received the album and further, no longer desires it from this thief. I personally would like to speak with this thief. Therefore , where in the world is Alan Rein ? Come on little Law Students/Brides , let us go seek him out.

Sent on 06/19/2014