804 N Bishop Street, Chicago, IL 60642 Map · Phone number

About The Alterationist

The Alterationist is an appointment-only alterations shop in Chicago's Noble Square, devoted exclusively to bridal gown alterations. Our mission is to give you a gown that looks great, feels amazing, and fits you like a glove. Email us -- mary@thealterationist.com -- to inquire about initial consult appointment availability.

Follow The Alterationist on

The Alterationist 5
The Alterationist 6
The Alterationist 7

Chelsea & Mathias · Married on 03/24/2018

Mary was incredible to work with! And she certainly had her work cut out for her with my gown. Several layers of fabric that all had to be shortened and brought in, lace and detachable sleeves. Mary’s work with my sleeves was flawless, and my gown turned out better than I could have imagined, like it was literally made for me. She was very easy to communicate with, and timely with appointment scheduling and follow-up emails noting exactly what progress was being made on my gown. This gave me ease knowing step by step what work was being done on my gown. Visiting her lovely boutique over the course of 4 months was always a joy, and she welcomed me to bring family and friends, and even had glasses for us to sip champagne in during my fittings. I would highly recommend Mary’s services, as she is truly an expert at what she does!

Sent on 04/23/2018
    The Alterationist 8
    The Alterationist 9
    The Alterationist 10
    The Alterationist 11

The Alterationist's reply:

Chelsea! Thanks so much for your kind words, they mean the world to a small-business owner! You are stunning in your photos -- and I just love your finished wedding look! All the best to you and your husband for 2018 and beyond!
    -- Mary

Molly · Married on 09/03/2017

I could not speak more highly of my experience working with Mary. She herself is an incredibly kind and wonderful human being, which is only to add to the amazing work she does. She was able to alter my wedding dress to perfection! It stayed exactly in place the entire day, even through hours of dancing. Would highly highly recommend her to anyone.

Sent on 09/07/2017

Chanel · Married on 09/03/2017

Mary is seriously the go-to person for wedding dresses!! If you have a dress in need of alterations, definitely go to Mary! She is one of the sweetest people and so easy to work with. I had a crazy ballgown dress, and I was really worried that it would get messed up in the alteration process, since there were just sooooo many layers on this thing. Mary worked on my dress so wonderfully (including a hemming and bustle, among other things), and the end result was amazing! The dress fit like a glove on the day of the wedding and I felt beautiful. Also, Mary's prices are SUPER fair. I went to see one other tailor before Mary, and she was about double the price for the same changes. One thing to also note is that Mary books up fast! When I got my dress, I reached out to Mary and got an appointment two months from that day. So as soon as you have your dress (or know you are right at the time of receiving it), book your appointment!

Sent on 10/07/2017
    The Alterationist 12
    The Alterationist 13

The Alterationist FAQ

• How do you price dress alterations? By Piece
  • Who do you provide services for? Bride
  • Which of the following services do you provide? Alterations, Appointments Only
  • Which of the following items do you offer? Customary Attire