Charlottesville, VA 22911 Map · Phone number
Most Popular Price $8,150
Availability Check your date

About Rachel May Photography

Our goal is to deliver a genuine document that is well balanced between fine art, documentary, & classic portraiture; preserving our clients most valued relationships, moments, & experiences.

To achieve this, we make it a priority to get to know our clients. Understanding who our clients are, what and who is important to them. This allows us to customize the experience to each of our clients and create a memorable set of images that are personal and heartfelt.

Amidst the "to dos" of the day, we are constantly searching for those meaningful moments in between. The ones that immediately will take you back, give you goose bumps, and make your heart swell.

We believe in creating space for love to exist and life too unfold; space that cultivates organic moments over forced poses. The end result is an authentic representation of the real love, life, and little details that tell the story of your day.

Follow Rachel May Photography on

32 Reviews for Rachel May Photography

• Amanda

Amanda Eisner · Married on 11/04/2018

The perfect photographer

Where on earth do I begin?! Are you looking for authentic, artful, thoughtful, stunning, magazine-worthy photographs? Look no further. Rachel was my DREAM wedding photographer. I was a micro-managing bride in many ways but never felt the need to be that way with Rachel because I trusted her COMPLETELY. She is so passionate about her work, so intentional with every move, so organized, so detail oriented, and so kind. Rachel made me feel extremely comfortable from the moment I met her at our engagement photo shoot. This was so important to me, because I knew my level of comfort with the photographer would show in photos. She gives easy to follow direction when it comes to posing, her use of lighting is fantastic, her compositions are stunning. I could go on and on and on.

On our wedding day, I was so happy to have Rachel right there with us. She and her team were so sweet and added to the joy of the day. Her assistant Renee was so lovely and helpful. Also, little did I know, her husband Justin is just as talented of a photographer! Justin was so fantastic as well, and captured so many amazing images - especially of my sweet husband and his friends in the groom's suite!

Looking back on photos, it was so amazing to me how Rachel and Justin caught so many amazing moments during our reception because they were not in our face with the camera at all - yet they were still able to catch so many beautiful moments of genuine love and joy.

One thing I absolutely love about Rachel is that she shoots part digital and part film. With this approach, you really get the best of both worlds. This was one of the major perks of having Rachel as our photographer.

Another amazing thing - Rachel turned around a stunning preview album in less than 24 hours. My husband and I, our families, and our friends have been able to relive the day over and over through these images because she gave them to us so quickly. And...they are absolutely breathtaking. I am so in love with our images and am so beyond grateful Rachel was our photographer. She is our photographer for life now!! I can't wait to book her for future photos!!

I'm lucky to call Rachel and her husband Justin friends now! They are truly amazing people.

Sent on 11/08/2018

Susie · Married on 06/23/2018

Rachel, Rachel, Rachel! I cannot thank you enough! She was absolutely phenomenal and didn't miss a beat the ENTIRE night! Her and her husband, Justin, are absolutely amazing and everyone was commenting on how professional, kind, and efficient they were! They 100% executed my vision and all of the photos I was hoping for. She was more than willing to take photo requests from close family members throughout the night, while also being able to eye everything else that was going on. I cannot recommend her enough as she was everything I wanted in a photographer and more! Thank you, Rachel!

Sent on 06/27/2018
  • Happily Married

Elena · Married on 01/09/2016

Rachel (and her husband and second shooters) are absolutely fantastic! She took both our engagement pictures and our wedding photos, and each and every photo is breathtaking. So many of our family and friends have commented that they are the most beautiful pictures they have ever seen, and all photos come in both color and in black and white (I thought this was wonderful). Rachel got every photo that we wanted and tons of really great candids. She captured a ton of really special moments, really sweet moments, and some totally hysterical moments, too! I would highly suggest Rachel to any bride looking for a wedding photographer. I cannot thank her or her second shooters enough. Thank you, Rachel!!!

Sent on 02/10/2016

• Transformations Artistry
    Transformations Artistry Wedding Hair & Makeup

I'm always excited to find that I'm booked on a wedding with Rachel! She brings such a calm to our bridal parties and expertly captures their very best moments with grace and finesse.

• Wedding Preacher for Hire
    Wedding Preacher for Hire Wedding Officiants

Rachel May was the photographer for a wedding at which I officiated last year. That wedding appeared in Southern Living Magazine! How often does that happen?! She really does have an eye for balance and color. Evidently the folks at Southern Living recognized that. I can vouch for the fact that she is unobtrusive in her picture taking, which is important for guests and for wedding officiants both! Rachel is a top rate wedding photographer.

• Stevenson Ridge
    Stevenson Ridge Historic Weddings

Stevenson Ridge is happy to recommend Rachel May Photography for any couple getting married. She is very talented and loves what she does. Her pictures are absolutely beautiful!! Rachel took most of the pictures of our cabins and cottages that can be found on our website. We have known her for years and it has been a wonderful relationship. You will not be disappointed if you hire Rachel!

• Charlottesville, VA, 22911 See on map