Marina del Rey, CA 90292 Map · Phone number

About James Johnson, photographer

As I begin to write a bit about myself and my photography life I keep thinking about something a client recently said to me. At one point when there was significant chaos going on, the bride turned to me and said that I had the perfect set of skills to do what I do. I was very touched when she proceeded to tell me about my temperament, my expertise and how I rolled with the punches in a fun way. How nice to be appreciated and how wonderful to enjoy a job as much as I enjoy mine.

I use a mixture of styles, from classic portraits and photojournalism to fine art. I am looking for iconic images that will convey the feeling of your wedding in a timeless way and for that I use a variety of cameras and methods. My website goes into more detail about my methodology and I suggest you take a look over there when you are done at Wedding Wire: (www.jamesjohnsonphotography.com)

All packages include unlimited coverage and engagement photos ... and anything else you can dream of. From stunning, handcrafted, leatherbound albums to music video style slideshows the sky is the limit. If you can dream it, we can do it.

• Kermode Photography
801fafbec03b8e00 1211309523621 wwiremariahp
wwireanwar

6 Reviews for James Johnson, photographer

Patty · Married on 01/17/2016

I’m not sure there are enough superlative words to recommend James. A friend of mine recommended James—her wedding photos looked fabulous, and I also knew her lighting was difficult. My husband and I met with him to see his book and we were sold. Super-cool guy, and super-fun, which we were all about because we had an over-the-top, ridiculous Roaring 20’s theme. We didn’t want the traditional stuff - we wanted more like a big, fun, fancy dress party with a wedding thrown in. We did an engagement shoot at Venice Beach which was laid-back and fun, and we got some great shots which we used in our save-the-dates.

We threw a lot of stuff at James for the wedding, though. We wanted nice posed pix of the family / wedding party, a couple of pix that look like they were actually taken in the 1920s, and I wanted him to capture the antics of our crazy performer friends (and family), but also make our non-performer friends and family feel at ease. Oh, and the wedding was an evening wedding, indoors and outdoors (a penthouse apartment with a huge terrace and many rooms for guests to wander around in), in the middle of January…dark dark dark…and we didn’t want him to walk around with a load of lighting equipment. Oh, and we paid for the wedding ourselves and were on a strict budget.

All I can say is AMAZING. UH - MAY - ZING. I could not be more thrilled. James fit right into the spirit of the day, capturing the craziness that went on throughout the night, and making us all look fantastic. I’m in my 40’s and I don’t know how he worked this out with available lighting, but these are the first photos in years where I didn’t feel like I need to Photoshop myself!!
    There are SO many good ones - hard to choose what to put in our photo albums! He caught so many incredible moments throughout the venue and outside - he must have been in several places at once. Plus, his prices are surprisingly reasonable. Seriously, hire James - you will be so happy you did!

Sent on 03/14/2016

Reanna · Married on 10/18/2013

James is AMAZING! I cannot say enough positive things about this man. Not only does he have the best personality, being funny, kind and friendly, but his work is exceptional! I am more than happy with the photographs he took at my wedding. He has the ability to capture special moments, all while using his skills to make his photos artistic. I have received dozens upon dozens of compliments about my wedding pictures. Some people have even said they are the best wedding photos they have ever seen. He was very professional and super helpful! He knows weddings, so he was able to help figure out the time frame for pictures and get them done. He was even able to manage my wedding party of 20 people!! He was kind enough to work out a price we can both be happy with. If you need a photographer for anything, you will not be sorry if you use this man!

Sent on 11/08/2013

Jackie · Married on 09/18/2010

Great guy, great personality, very creative, very beautiful pictures. A little on the pricier side but VERY worth it!

Sent on 10/23/2010

Award

James Johnson, photographer FAQ

• What primary photographic style do you identify with?
    Contemporary
    Photojournalism
    Traditional
  • What photography services do you offer?
    Custom Graphics
    Engagement Shoot
    High-Res Images
    One Event / Day
  • What photography items do you offer?
    Albums
    Proofs
    Save the Date

• The Ebell of Los Angeles
    The Ebell of Los Angeles Historic Weddings

There are no words to accurately capture the essence that is James Johnson. But I will try: hilarious, focused, artistic, heart-felt, passionate, quirky, dedicated, authentic, (and did i mention 'hilarious'?) Seriously, the guy will have you in stitches!! You just can't get a more authentic smile or laugh captured on film then that generated from being in the presence of James Johnson. And yes, James is the only event photographer that I know of that still captures the moments of the day on the fine-art medium of film. The difference is breathtaking. James is an artist in every sense of the word. And when you meet with him, ask him about his beer holster... : )

• The Ebell of Los Angeles
    The Ebell of Los Angeles Historic Weddings

• A CEREMONY of the HEART
    A CEREMONY of the HEART Wedding Officiants

From the very first time I met and worked with James I was impressed and delighted. He was an absolute pleasure to work with, highly professional and amazingly creative! His style and unique vision are rare ... because he is a True Artist!! If you want your wedding to be shot by a master, James is the one for you. Mary Jean Valente... A Ceremony of the Heart

• Marina del Rey, 90292 See on map