Communion during the Ceremony
My son and his FW want to take communion at their wedding next month. We have since found out that the methodist minister says that if they take it, they must offer it to everyone in attendance. I have researched their doctrine since hearing this and realize that it is part of their doctrine. She grew up in that church, but has since joined our church which is non-denominational Christian. They are having a methodist minister and one of our ministers do different parts of the service. My question is this, has anyone faced this problem before and if so, what did you do? They really want to take communion as one of their first official acts as husband and wife, but don't want to have to offer it to everyone. Any suggestions?

Married: 09/24/2011
Posted On: Aug 25, 2011 at 3:23 PM • Add to My WatchlistFlag As Inappropriate1 like

11 Comments | Login or Signup to post a comment!

Michelle
Married: 2+ years ago
Reviews: 5
Aug 25, 2011 at 3:31 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Well, you're supposed to offer it to everyone in attendance. And this can make guests uncomfortable unless they're used to it.

Married: 10/01/2011
Reviews: 3
Aug 25, 2011 at 3:55 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I'm confused as to why this is a problem. Catholic weddings and funerals do this all the time. The minister usually offers it without saying they have to partake of it. Actually some Catholic churches even say only to partake if you are a practicing catholic but as far as I understand Methodist allows any Christian to partake.

Anonymous
Married: 2+ years ago
Reviews: 5
Aug 25, 2011 at 4:06 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Pumpkin is right on the money with this one -

In the programs you should explain what communion is. Catholics offer communion - but only practicing Catholics should partake. I'm not too sure about the other religions - but if you write about it in the programs it won't be as akward and people will understand whats going on.

Married: 09/17/2011
Aug 25, 2011 at 4:12 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
My brother and his wife had communion only for themselves (We were raised Presbyterian and she Baptist) in a Baptist church and no one commented on it being odd or felt slighted. I've been to Methodist weddings where everyone participated and it actually felt more awkward in my opinion. Is the service taking place in a Methodist church? If not and they feel that strongly about it I would see if the minister is willing to be flexible.

Aug 25, 2011 at 4:15 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Jenna- see I would feel slighted being Christian that I didn't get to partake. I dislike going to Catholic services and watching others partake and not being allowed to. However, I never felt awkward not partaking because I was never alone. I just wished I could.

Aug 25, 2011 at 4:26 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
We are Christian. We offer communion every time we have a WORSHIP service (Sunday morning and Sunday evening and any other special worship service that we are having.) She was raised Methodist and is getting married in the church she grew up in with the Methodist preacher that used to preach at her church. One of our preachers, who was and is very influential in my son's life growing up and in both their lives now that they are both members of our church. Both are Christian and wish to share a personal moment with Christ by taking communion as one of their first official acts as husband and wife. They wish to honor His sacrifice and demonstrate their committment to a Christian marriage. It is done all the time in our church, but is never offered to those in attendance. I'm trying to figure out a way to do this without making the ceremony longer than it already is going to be and without incurring more expense for the bride's family.

Married: 07/07/2012
Reviews: 1
Aug 25, 2011 at 4:27 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Sometimes the bride groom and parents take communion in private while a musical selection is played for the congregation. Whats wrong with giving it to everyone?

Aug 25, 2011 at 4:28 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I understand that this is part of the Methodist doctrine, but my son and his FW are not methodist. It is not a worship service. So I'm just wondering if they can explain it on the program and also have the minister say that communion for anyone who wishes to partake will be offered between the ceremony and the reception somewhere else in the church. I don't know how the Methodist offer communion, so I'm not sure how we can work it. Any help appreciated.

Aug 25, 2011 at 4:34 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Nothings wrong with it. I think it would be rather special actually to offer it to everyone. They're just worried about the ceremony being too long. That's why I'm wondering if it would work to offer those wanting to take it an opportunity after the ceremony.

Aug 25, 2011 at 4:48 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
You would have to have them check with their minister, but usually it takes 15 minutes which to me does not make it too long. It depends on whether they pass around little cups and pieces of bread or if they do a line.

I read Wikipedia and it says Methodists welcome all of Christian faith to partake.

Married: 09/17/2011
Aug 25, 2011 at 4:52 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Do communion by intinction - I used to be a deacon and there are soooo many benefits to this! Less prep, less waste, less cleanup and it moves faster! (Break a piece off the bread and dip it in the cup - don't sip from the cup unless you want to pass germs!) Split the bread in half, have two people with cups and the lines move twice as fast. :)
Login or Signup to post a comment!

Topics

Vow of Conduct