1940s Theme Wedding---HELP!!!
Ladies we are having a 1940s theme wedding at a historic courthouse in Downtown Decatur, GA. My fiance is an Army Reservist and also a Police Officer. He returned from Afghanistan less than a year ago and we saw it fitting to go with this theme. I am full time student. Please help with some ideas. My fiance is wearing his Dress Blues. Check out the pics below of our wedding invite inspiration please help. Oh and our colors are Black and cream with some Crimson (red) very little...I dont want it to clash with his uniform. My dress is a mermaid stil very elegant. When I find a pic I will post it.

Married: 05/21/2012
Reviews: 5
Edited On: Apr 23, 2011 at 10:16 PM
Posted On: Apr 23, 2011 at 9:53 PM • Vendors are allowed • Add to My WatchlistFlag As Inappropriate1 like

30 Comments | Login or Signup to post a comment!
«12»

Married: 11/11/2011
Apr 23, 2011 at 10:08 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
oh now i like that telegram , what tye of 1940 are you thinking? like in the movies? or the doing more with less feel that was going on during the war? i also suggest you wear pearls .

Apr 23, 2011 at 10:12 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Shannon thats the problem I really want a glam feel but not so much. I am not really into flowers so I would prefer feathers. My FH wants to name the tables after people of that era including a General S. Patton table. I just dont know I am so confused....I know a more romantic 1940s feel. HELP!!!!!

Apr 23, 2011 at 10:19 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
i got my degree in history so i can help with what is era fitting though my Area of study was more British style was going universal . and yes the 1940 was faboules era feather works for the glam... oh also look at old movie ticket types of invites. Military theme works in the 1940 it was WWII it was all that was on ppl name .. but people might get lost with those table so make sure they have numbers!

CHRISTINA
Married: 06/01/2012
Apr 23, 2011 at 10:22 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
im doing the 1940's theme ...the old hollywood actors etc...the tables will be named after a different actor for examples there pic are blk/white in black frames with red bows..i got from betty davis to elvis to james dean..lets just say im spending alot of time on google...if you have any questions hit me up email..we can k.i.t with our 1940's wedding plans lol

Puffins
Married: 1+ year ago
Apr 24, 2011 at 12:36 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
You can work with your DJ to include songs from the 40's for "down time" at the wedding. The Andrews Sisters, Dizzie Gillespie, Ella Fitzgerald... if you want your first dance to be swing (of course, accommodating your dress), that could be a hit!

Hayley C™
Married: 2+ years ago
Reviews: 1
Apr 24, 2011 at 3:14 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
I love your theme! and I love your stationary! Here are some things I think of....White gloves.. and I like the hats on the men....

Edited On: Apr 24, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Hayley C™
Apr 24, 2011 at 3:15 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
You could do a photo of you two that looks like a old movie poster... and use that as your wedding program...

https://www.yourcover.com/cover-editor/
And you can click on names and dates to change them!

Edited On: Apr 24, 2011 at 3:28 AM

Hayley C™
Apr 24, 2011 at 3:15 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
song ideas for cocktail hour
Moonlight Serenade - Glenn Miller
Come fly With Me - Frank Sinatra
Baby Drive me Wild - Mighty Blue Kings
In the Mood - Andrew Sisters
Rum and Coca Cola - Andrew Sisters
Fly Me to the Moon (in other words) - Frank Sinatra
Fever - Peggy Lee
Big Spender - Peggy Lee
Don't Sit under the Apple Tree - Andrews Sisters
Bel Mir Bist Du Schon - Andrew Sisters
Cheek to Cheek - Ella Fitzgerald
Reefer Man - Cab Calloway
For Dancers Only - Beantown Swing Orchestra
Jumpin' at the Woodside - Count Basie
Beyond the Sea (Goodfellas) - Bobby Darin
It Don't Mean a Thing - Duke Ellington
Goodnight, My Love - Ella Fitzgerald & Benny Goodman
Life goes to a Party - Jumpin' - Swing Kids
Jumpin' Jive - Cab Calloway

Hayley C™
Apr 24, 2011 at 3:16 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
more songs....
Minnie the Moocher - Cab Calloway
San Francisco Fan - Cab Calloway
The Calloway Boogie - Cab Calloway
Hi Do Ho Man - Cab Calloway
(Call of the) Jitter Bug - Cab Calloway and his orchistra
Danke Schoen - Wayne Newton
Diamonds are a Girls Best Friend - Marilyn Monroe
Mambo Italiano - Rosemary Clooney
Sway - Dean Martin
At Last - Etta James
Manhattan - Ella Fitzgerald
Night and Day - Ella Fitzgerald
A Tisket A Tasket - Ella Fitzgerald

all ideas and images taken from retro bride
http://www.weddingbycolor.com/retrobride/page/3

Hayley C™
Apr 24, 2011 at 3:18 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
You can get an old typewriter and a VERY long piece of paper and have people type to sign your guest book.

Hayley C™
Apr 24, 2011 at 3:19 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
more inspiration...

Hayley C™
Apr 24, 2011 at 3:19 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
congrats, Happy Planning!

Edited On: Apr 24, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Married: 05/27/2012
Apr 24, 2011 at 9:21 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
I think Hayley's pretty much covered it :)

Married: 06/23/2012
Apr 24, 2011 at 10:34 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
I'm going with a Vintage Romantic theme too...my only color difference from yours is light blue instead of red. I'm trying to use some antique glass for tealights, light up ivy and rose garlands, pintuck taffeta runners, antique cake topper, vintage movie posters on the walls, antique candelabras/candlesticks, and LOTS of romantic flowers! I'm even gonna do old silver frames for the table numbers.

Apr 24, 2011 at 12:01 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
are is grooms men military as well? if so there dress blues would be great. good luck with the planning

Married: 04/12/2013
Reviews: 11
Apr 24, 2011 at 12:06 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I love some of these ideas. Our wedding is going to be vintage/Victorian. I may have to use some of the inspirations as well.

Apr 24, 2011 at 12:11 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Thanks girls a bunch Christina I will definitely be in touch and Shannon no the grooms men are not in the military at all so the men will be in black cut away tux with ascots the girls will be in black as well with some red flowers in the bouquet. One question are the wedding telegram invites formal enough to you ladies? I absolutely love them

Married: 04/28/2012
Apr 24, 2011 at 1:41 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I hate to be a buzz kill, but Elvis & James Dean weren't working until the 1950s. Some 1940s actors are Clark Gable, Vivien Leigh, Fred Astaire, Ginger Rodgers, John Wayne, Carey Grant, James Stewart, Katherine Hepburn, Joan Crawford, Betty Grable (she was the pre-Marilyn Marilyn lol), Lana Turner, Veronica Lake, Paulette Goddard, Bob Hope, Spencer Tracy, Ingrid Bergman, Bing Crosby, Rita Hayworth, Humphrey Bogart, Frank Sinatra, Natalie Wood (in her child rolls, not her 1950s rolls), Shirley Temple (might be cute for the children's table), Judy Garland, Lauren Bacall, Gregory Peck, and a very young Elizabeth Taylor.

Married: 04/28/2012
Apr 24, 2011 at 1:42 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Jasmine I love the telegrams and colors!

Apr 24, 2011 at 1:49 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Thanks Montara his aunt was not as pleased with them but we love them. She want to glam up the wedding invites more but we are both happy with the choice. I wanted to know was it just us.
Login or Signup to post a comment!
«12»

Topics

Vow of Conduct