earias
Champion December 2017

Who does the cooking in your relationship?

earias, on October 29, 2018 at 3:53 PM Posted in Married Life 0 99
Saved Save

Do you or your spouse do the cooking? I'm surprised to say that my DH actually does the cooking! It surprises me because before we met each other that wasn't the case. He usually allowed his partner to do the cooking and I usually did the cooking in past relationships. But somehow in the nearly 4 years we've been together we've gravitated to where he does the cooking and I am so okay with that!

We got an Instapot for our wedding last year and he uses it all the time - while me, I still don't know how to work that thing!

So, who does the cooking in your relationship?

99 Comments

• Tiara
    Expert October 2018
    Tiara
    Mostly me. I'm particular about what I eat as I'm a stage actress and need to fuel my body appropriately, and I'm also a vegetarian. I also just enjoy cooking. He's not picky at all. Sometimes he'll make a side of meat to go with what I cook, and he's actually a pretty good cook. But he doesn't enjoy it quite as much 馃檪
  • Tiara
    Expert October 2018
    Tiara
    The instant pot has been my favorite registry gift!
  • Laura
    Rockstar November 2019
    Laura
    I do most of it due to FH鈥檚 schedule. He just gets home too late to do it most nights. He cooks on his days off though.
  • Nisa
    Super March 2019
    Nisa

We take turns, we live with his brother so it's nice because no one has to cook more than 2 days a week. Which is excellent for me, since I work full-time and am in grad school full time. FH loves cooking though and I abhor it! Baking is a different story

• Sara铆
    April 2019
    Sara铆

We take turns but mostly me. He's a good cooker too

• Mary
    Dedicated April 2020
    Mary
    I used to be the cook. But then he got interested in cooking shows and wants to do all the cooking now 鉂わ笍 He is getting there
  • Sarah
    Master June 2016
    Sarah
    Usually me, only because I鈥檓 home all day with the kids anyway so I have more time to get dinner ready. On the weekends he usually grills or pulls the smoker out though which is a nice little break!
  • S
    Devoted December 2018
    Sarah
    FH coaches in addition to his 9-5 day job. When they are in season all the cooking falls on me because he doesn鈥檛 get home until 8:30pm. He tries to make up for this in the off-season by doing a lot of the cooking and I help out. He鈥檚 especially been doing all of the cooking and dishes the last couple of weeks so I can focus on getting last minute wedding things ordered/taken care of.
  • Sandyfish
    Super August 2017
    Sandyfish
    We cook together a lot, although I tend to do more of it. H however, loves to bake, and I hate it, so it balances out in the kitchen.
  • A
    Dedicated September 2018
    Ashlie
    Most of the time my husband does. I will occasionally but I hate it. Was never interested in being in the kitchen, I always wanted to be outside!!
  • Erin
    Beginner October 2020
    Erin

Both! I usually cook Mondays and Wednesdays and he cooks Tuesdays and Thursdays. Fridays we'll usually have dinner with my family or order pizza. Weekends are usually up in the air. He likes to stick to a few favorite meals (usually a meat, veggie and rice) and I like to experiment with new recipes every now and again. He's a wonderful test-subject!

• Swtnss238
    VIP May 2019
    Swtnss238
    When we do eat at home, I do the cooking. All my kids r grown but 1 so I dont cook nearly as much as I used to. Taking us out to dinner is FHs way of contributing to household duties cause he cant cook a lick. I enjoy it because after serving and taking care of everyone else all the time, its nice to have a meal cooked for me.
  • S
    Devoted January 2019
    S

I do almost all of the cooking. He does extra cleaning (including laundry), so on average we do about a similar amount of the housework. We both prefer different tasks, which is nice.

• Jo
    WeddingWire Administrator May 2015
    Jo

Me. When we first started dating he LOVED to show off the fact that he'd worked as a chef in restaurants growing up, he'd talk a big game about what a great cook he is and jokingly try to challenge me to little cooking contests. Such a show off. Fast forward several years and now I do just about everything in the kitchen! It's not that he expects me to or doesn't want to, but he can be soooo spacey that if I didn't cook he would totally forget about dinner until about 10pm and then he would be too hungry to cook and we'd end up eating poptarts or fast food or something, lol! But he is a very good cook - maybe I should ask him to do more!

• Miranda
    Expert February 2019
    Miranda

We alternate, but I would say my fiance does about 70% of the cooking.

• JustKidding
    VIP April 2018
    JustKidding

I do all the cooking. I enjoy cooking and I'm good at it.

He has no palate at all. His idea of seasoning is salt and pepper. He also works until later, so it makes sense for me to cook.

Now dishes. I don't do dishes.

• Shaunte
    Expert April 2020
    Shaunte

Mostly FH. I go to school in the evenings and usually don't get home until 8:45 each night. I try to cook on the weekends if I'm at home.

• K
    Super November 2019
    Kayla
    That's awesome! I do ALL the cooking, breakfast lunch and dinner I bake the sweets and prepare all snacks. I hate people in my kitchen. If I'm not cooking then we order out from somewhere. FH loves to grill, but I still prepare all the meats lol. Guaranteed great! It works for us in our house. For we have very traditional roles in place.
  • SB
    VIP March 2019
    SB

I'd say it's pretty even. FH is the outdoor chef while I stick to my stove and oven!

• Kiwibride
    Super November 2018
    Kiwibride
    Even split. We both cook once or twice a week and have leftovers the other nights

Comment on this discussion