Skip to main content
S
Just Said Yes October 2018

When should i set a Deadline for my girls to order their Davids Bridal dresses?

Sarah, on May 29, 2018 at 9:58 AM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 11
Saved
Our wedding is 10-19-18 and only half of my girls have their dresses. I know they will possibly need altering later. When should I set the deadline for them to have their dresses purchased/ordered?

11 Comments

Latest activity by PBiazinha, on May 30, 2018 at 11:03 AM
  • Jay
    Expert September 2013
    Jay ·
    • Flag

Sarah,

Better sooner than later for this- Set an aggressive deadline to ensure time for alterations. This will also expose any possible dress conflicts, budget issues, or any other dress discussions that you don't want to have as October approaches quickly.

WeddingWire article: A brides Guide to Bridesmaid Dress Shopping

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

I ordered from David's Bridal for a dress last year, it was out of stock so they sent it to me 2 months after I ordered it. Then I needed an additional month for alterations.

• C
    Just Said Yes August 2018
    Cmb2394 ·
    • Flag
    I would give them another two weeks max. I had my girls order from Davids, and it took 2 months for one to come, and another hasn't come yet and was ordered almost 3 months ago. This is the busy season and if they need alterations that can take time too. Good luck with your wedding plans!!
  • A
    Expert January 2019
    Anakaren ·
    • Flag
    I would fell them to order it in July and get alteration 3 weeks before the wedding
  • F
    Super August 2018
    FutureMrsO ·
    • Flag
    I would make sure they order within the next week or two. My girls ordered theirs back in November for our August 2018 wedding. The dresses came spread out between January and February. 2 of the dresses had stains on them and had to be replaced by DB which took another month. And then the alterations took 2-3 months because the woman st DB had my girls order a size up and they were huge and needed major taking in which took a lot of time and multiple fittings.
  • WED18
    July 1993
    WED18 ·
    • Flag

I would use the fact that David's Bridal is discontinuing some of their BM dresses as an excuse to have them order NOW! Maybe call the store real quick to see if your dresses are still available first. Good luck!

• Katrina
    Beginner June 2018
    Katrina ·
    • Flag
    I worked at David's bridal, along with getting married here in a few weeks, and my suggestion is to first find out what the order time is on the dress of you ordered today. Some dresses can take up to 22 weeks to order because no where in the country has them in that's style, color and size, so the main warehouse needs to make it. Other dresses can be found in stores all across the country no problem and can take only 2 weeks.

Once you find that out I would suggest having them order either this week or at the very latest end of June just to be safe with any dress, even if it's widely available. This will give your bridesmaids time to make sure the dress fits how you want it to, along with the color. And decide of they need alterations, which will need to be about 4-6 weeks out from the wedding date (so about the beginning of September).

I know that before I started working at David's bridal, one of my bridesmaids went in to get her dress ordered, and they just had her try on dresses until they found a size that worked, but never did her measurements. When her dress came in she finally tried it on and it didn't fit because the one in store was stretched out from people trying it on. If they had measured her they would've known to go a size up. We ended up having to go with a dress in store in a different color than we originally planned for her because they couldn't order a new one in on time. It still looks beautiful with the other dresses, but it still upsets me. So make sure they measure your bridesmaids!!!
  • Malei
    Super October 2018
    Malei ·
    • Flag

I set an ordered and altered by date to be a month in advance but one of my bridesmaids had told me that she actually found and ordered her dress in April and was told it was backordered until July. Because of that, the rest of my girls are ordering from DB online now or going to another store and looking dresses in stock (I gave them the choice of their own dresses as long as the color matches).

• A
    Dedicated June 2018
    Ally ·
    • Flag
    The sooner the better. All my girls had to have their dresses altered, one of the girls had to wait a month for it to be ready. It's always better to be safe than sorry Smiley smile
  • Jamie
    Devoted August 2018
    Jamie ·
    • Flag
    My MOHs dress took a 2 full months to come in from DB, and since we are heading into peak wedding season..will take another month for alterations.
  • PBiazinha
    VIP May 2018
    PBiazinha ·
    • Flag

Find out the deadline from the store, count back two weeks and let them know.

Last wedding I was in I ordered in May and got the dress in July. I don't like their alterations prices so I went to my local seamstress and got it done within a week.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics