Kathryn
Super July 2016

When did you get the marriage license back?

Kathryn, on July 19, 2016 at 5:35 PM Posted in Married Life 0 26
Saved Save

How quickly did you get the certified marriage license copy? I'm anxious to change my name lol

26 Comments

• Becoming a Mrs
    Master July 2016
    Becoming a Mrs ·
    • Flag

I got it back about a little more then week after the wedding. I was pissed when I went to the courthouse the Monday after our honeymoon to change my name and it wasn't there. He lied about when he sent it in.

• mimitrue
    Master January 2016
    mimitrue ·
    • Flag

Mine took a week to get sent in and then I got it a week after that so 2 weeks total. I had to go down to the county offices thought to get a copy, nothing was sent to me.

• M
    Beginner May 2017
    Maria ·
    • Flag

Fortunately I got it the same day.

• Celia Milton
    February 2020
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

In NJ, I am supposed to tell my couples two weeks, but they have to request it, it's not automatic. Contact the office that would issue it and ask.

• Christina
    Master October 2015
    Christina ·
    • Flag

I received it about a week after.

• Mrs.T_618
    VIP June 2016
    Mrs.T_618 ·
    • Flag

Still waiting here...I was told 4-6 weeks for Los Angeles County... I bought the copies when we got our license in May.

• MrsA
    Master October 2015
    MrsA ·
    • Flag

2 weeks

• Kmess
    Master October 2015
    Kmess ·
    • Flag

Apparently we have to request it and pay a fee. Soooo....we still haven't gotten ours. But thanks for reminding me!

• Emily O.
    VIP June 2016
    Emily O. ·
    • Flag

We were told during peak wedding season it could take 6-8 weeks. I was fully expecting it to take that long, however, it came back just days after we returned from our honeymoon.

• nautiwife
    VIP July 2016
    nautiwife ·
    • Flag

Check the information for your county. Where I am it says don't expect anything before 3 weeks after the ceremony. You can check, but it'll cost $15 and it is non-refundable. Also, it isn't automatic. I have to request copies.

• Kathryn
    Super July 2016
    Kathryn ·
    • Flag

Thanks! Gonna call and see how long till I get it?

• Nancy Taussig
    February 2020
    Nancy Taussig ·
    • Flag

Here it can take 2-4 weeks off season and 4-6 weeks during busy wedding season (if it is mailed in).

Same day if you walk it in.

• BlueEyeSmile
    Super November 2016
    BlueEyeSmile ·
    • Flag

It took a couple of weeks to get ours mailed from NYC

• Swin.
    Master June 2016
    Swin. ·
    • Flag

It took us about 10 days!

• M
    Super August 2016
    MrsC. ·
    • Flag

We live in NH and were told when we went to get our license today that the JP has 6 days to return it to the town hall and we can get the copy the next day..

• JessBaran
    Devoted March 2016
    JessBaran ·
    • Flag

Mine was processed way before it was mailed to me. I was in a hurry too. I had the practice copy that had our license number on it, so I called the office daily to see if it was processed yet. About 2 weeks later, it was processed and I drove to pick up a copy. 2 weeks after that, I got the copy I had paid for when we filled all the paperwork out!

• Mrs. Winosaurusrex
    Master June 2016
    Mrs. Winosaurusrex ·
    • Flag

I went in three weeks after the weeding and requested copies, it was $15/copy and I walked out with them.

• Jacqui76
    Master May 2016
    Jacqui76 ·
    • Flag

We were able to go and request ours on the Monday after we got home from our honeymoon, which was 2 weeks after the wedding.

• Samantha
    Super June 2016
    Samantha ·
    • Flag

I had my dad pick ours up while we were away on our honeymoon. I wish it could have been mailed to us but apparently that's not how they do it in Rhode Island. He got our marriage license about 2 weeks after our wedding and had to pay $20 for it.

• Kactus Kat
    VIP July 2016
    Kactus Kat ·
    • Flag

We got ours back about a week later.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics