Pegs
VIP July 2018

What's the worst wedding you've been to/worse wedding experience you've had?

Pegs, on March 9, 2018 at 2:57 PM Posted in Planning 0 88
Saved Save

I love hearing stories about bad wedding experiences. They make for good laughs... sometimes...

88 Comments

• Kalla
    Dedicated December 2018
    Kalla ·
    • Flag
    A family member married a man we did not like because he was physically abusive. During the ceremony and reception, he refused to hold her hand or touch her and never smiled once. I didn't actually go to the wedding because I was not going to support their toxic relationship, but I did see a video of the ceremony and reception in its entirety. It made me cringe.
  • Happy Hedgie
    VIP September 2018
    Happy Hedgie ·
    • Flag

Oooh following, I love these stories too. Sort of a what not to do.

I personally don't have a story but, FMIL told me of a doozy recently. The bride asked my FMIL to bring a minimum of 100 cookies for the cookie table and provided instructions on how to deliver them and the type of tray to serve them on. The Bride requested full-length cocktail gowns for all the ladies (and formal attire for the men) but they had a dessert only reception (no dinner provided from 5 p.m. to 1 a.m.). The bride also explained that a limited number of seats will be available to "encourage mingling". To top it all off the couple was having a honeyfund.

Edited for clarity.

• Stephanie
    Devoted July 2018
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    I don't have a story either, just wanted to follow for examples of what not to do.
  • Pegs
    VIP July 2018
    Pegs ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

OMG! This is terrible! This is exactly a 'what not to do' scenario! lol

• K
    Expert May 2018
    K ·
    • Flag

I was in my ex's brothers wedding, which was entirely DIY. I did not mind helping with the crafts of course, but she would invite me over to help her make favors, centerpieces, etc. and then talk on the phone the entire time while I did all the work. I tend to be easy going, so I ended up being bossed around a lot as a bridesmaid. Definitely learned my lesson!

She made all of us girls buy the same shoes (camo colored flats) which ended up cutting my feet pretty bad by the end of the night. She also required us to get our hair/makeup done by her friend, and made us pay for it on top of buying a $200 dress. If I wasn't dating her brother-in-law to be at the time, I probably would have stepped down as a bridesmaid as she was being a bridezilla the whole time!

Fast forward to the ceremony - it was about an hour away from the reception space, and the ceremony itself was about 5 minutes long. So everyone drove an hour, for a 5 minute ceremony, to drive all the way back to the reception space to which she had no refreshments whatsoever!! So we finally get to the reception as the bridal party, and it turned out she didn't buy enough beer/wine, so it was basically a dry wedding after the first hour. Everyone ended up leaving at 8, and they had the space rented until 11p.m. lol Oh to make matters worse, she left with her now hubby and left the bridesmaids to do all the cleaning!!

Fast forward 4 years to planning my own wedding, and I still remember every awful second of being a part of that wedding! I'm happy to say that I treat my bridesmaids with respect, and will properly host all of my guests with plenty of food and drinks!

Sorry for the long-ish post! Smiley smile

• Pegs
    VIP July 2018
    Pegs ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Bridezilla at its finest. I'm not surprised so many people declined her invitation. That sounds awful!

• Pegs
    VIP July 2018
    Pegs ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Bridezilla's are usually the reason for a crappy wedding. That sounds terrible! I'm sorry you had to go through all of that but yes, you definitely learn from it!

• K
    Expert May 2018
    K ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Absolutely! Being a bride can definitely be stressful, but being rude to your loved ones is a big no no.

That was my first experience as a bridesmaid, so it definitely made me cautious to be one again lol! Luckily, that was my only terrible wedding experience.

• K
    Just Said Yes August 2018
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag
    It was my cousins wedding, he was marrying a beautiful girl! And right before they kissed the bride she couldn’t and said she was a lesbian and left.
  • Daria
    VIP January 2019
    Daria ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

OMG you win with that one!

• FME
    Master March 2018
    FME ·
    • Flag

I kind of felt bad for my family members... I guess there was a miscommunication from the hotel "All inclusive"..they kinda sat back and relaxed after signing the contract. The week before the wedding I guess they figured out the photographer, DJ and officiant wasn't included. So I guess they scrambled and hired a friendor for photography (not sure about the other two). Anyway, wedding comes and all these vendors suck. Just are down right horrible. Photographer shows up with her husband (not photographer) in jean shorts and is eating a bowl of something in the back row during the ceremony. DJ is drinking from their cash bar and played the same elvis song 7 times in a row during dinner. No one was allowed to dance until 1.5 hours after dinner was over. People started dancing at their tables and the DJ would turn the music off and tell them they weren't allowed to dance until the bride came back from BF'ing, which was 2 hours after dinner ended. The Officiant kept mispronouncing their last name. They NEVER got their wedding pictures back (It's been over a year). 50% of people left shortly after dinner (I'm guessing because of the lack of booze and music). Like I kind of felt bad for them, they've never talked about their wedding around any of my family. It's like it never happened. SO yeah, read the contracts, see what is included, be prepared, and don't hire friendors.

• Pegs
    VIP July 2018
    Pegs ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

OMG STOP IT. This is some Jerry Springer type sh*t! I'm dying!

• Pegs
    VIP July 2018
    Pegs ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Wow. This is extremely sad and unfortunate. I don't even know what I would have done as a bride in that situation. Yes, you must always cross your t's and dot your i's.

• HowCo Industries
    VIP September 2018
    HowCo Industries ·
    • Flag
    It's been a while, but I went to a few with the bride in a big, formal ball gown that was at least 2k (sometimes that was bragged about) and tiny amounts of food served on paper plates with bare folding tables. Priorities were clear.
  • PrincessLawrence
    VIP June 2018
    PrincessLawrence ·
    • Flag

So I was in a wedding. I got asked like 6 weeks before (but was already attending). The day of was a hot mess. The wedding was supposed to start at 1230, we did not leave the house to get to the church till 12. We started at like 12:45 almost 1 and there was a wedding after us. The photographer brought his daughter who they called the "instagramer" and she posted pics to their hashtag. Then the photographer sucked at posing us for group shots so I was hidden most of the time. The DJ was at the ceremony dressed in jeans and a t-shirt. The limo was not stocked like promised and I felt bad cause I helped them book it along with the dj as it was a group package. We ended up stopping at jewel so all the groomsmen good run in and grab food and drinks. When we got to the ceremony place they were not ready for us and we had done like no pictures so the bridal party except for a few went and played on the park and I was liking freaking out. Then when we did pictures it was freezing out as it was December. The DJ was texting during all the speeches which you can see if there wedding video. the bar was DIY and they sucked. ran out early and closed the bar at 9pm. The dance floor was upstairs where there was like no seating. Father/daughter mother/son dance was not done which is fine, but pretty sure they didnt have a first dance and if they did it was not announced. The second dj was also wearing jeans and a hoody and you could see her chubb lol. There was a bouquet toss what again was not announced. Never announced last call. And we were at the hotel and in bed by 10pm. It was a very weird wedding if you ask me.

• O
    Master October 2017
    O ·
    • Flag
    1st wedding-ceremony started 45 minutes late. Then a 2.5 hour cocktail hour with blasting music, couldn't speak to anyone because of the volume. On top of that there wasn't a/c at the venue, on a very hot August day. Everyone would take turns in the one small bathroom getting wet paper towels to try to cool off. After the couple, and wedding party finally showed up they had a snake dance-basically the very drunk groom, and his equally drunk groomsman ran around the space in a line like a snake, and ran under the Brides veil and dress as she stood on chairs. After the snake dance the DJ announced for us to take our wallets out and pay for their honeymoon. Nope, there was no way I was funding their honeymoon when we had to pay for very expensive parking, and walk about a mile to get to the no a/c, cheap wine (not even good cheap wine ☹️), poorly hosted wedding.

2nd wedding-my MILs cousins wedding. This cousin purposely invited over 250, closer to 275, people, her own words "I hope to make a lot of money for the dance." The cousin didn't have enough tables, chairs or food for over half the guests. It was very awkward as the select few of us got seats and food. 😐 After her wedding she boasted about how many thousands she made from the dance.
  • Candace
    Expert April 2018
    Candace ·
    • Flag
    FH and I got engaged maybe 2 weeks before going to his cousins wedding. This would be second time I'd met his extended family. So my FH and I wanted to be kind, so when his cousin asked us to switch out the trays during dinner (self catered), we said sure. Well it wasn't just switching the trays out. We had to arrive at the resturaunt 3 hours before to heat the food, transport it, and set it up. Mind you I'm in my dress for the wedding throughout this whole endeavor. So we set it up and then was assigned with making sure the tables candles were lit, the cake and cupcakes were on display so I didn't even see the ceremony. Then the relatives kept saying what a horrible caterer she got. I had to tell them I wasn't a vendor. I nearly lost my [colorful language]. Never received a thank you.
  • Kimberly
    Just Said Yes May 2019
    Kimberly ·
    • Flag

We went to a wedding of my fiance's coworker. It was about 6 hours away but we were decent friends with them and a lot of our friends were going. This place was the armpit of Texas. There's absolutely nothing to do, first of all.

The bride wore a flower crown about six sizes too big for her head and it looked AWFUL. She ended up getting trolled on social media about it when a guest posted a picture of her with over 5,000 comments talking about how bad it looked. Also her wedding dress was see through (not in a good way) and her panties were bright purple, which everyone could see. The groom decided that since he liked Hawaii so much, he was adopting their culture and also wore a flower crown. And a lei. Que more trolling on social media.

After the ceremony, we were ushered into a Sunday school classroom where there were half as many sandwiches as there were guests, and a single cookie for each person. There was no music, no dancing, no bar, nothing to do except sit at tables and stare at each other, though the bride and groom had graciously collected old newspapers and laid out expired crosswords at each table for entertainment. There was a father/daughter dance and a mother/son dance but that was it. Well, the groom's dad had passed away some years prior and to pay homage to him, the groom decided to dance to his mom with the same song as their first dance. Which would be fine, if it was a normal song. But this was a 1980's power ballad talking in graphic detail about making love to each other and taking each other's clothes off.

And to make matters worse, he starts. serenading. his. mother. to. the. lyrics.

We all wanted to crawl into a hole and die. No matter how sweet the sentiment is, hearing how a son wants to make love all night to his mother and how sacred her body is to him will scar you for life.

After that fiasco, we continued to all stare at each other with no food, no dancing, no music, and no bar until finally everyone started leaving and we were told their makeshift reception would be at a restaurant, where we would all pay our own way. In four hours. In a town with nothing to do. Their justification? "We just didn't want to pay for that many people to eat just because they came to our wedding." These are two young professionals who make PLENTY of money. They were just cheap.

When we finally got to the restaurant, we see the groom's family and head over to talk to them. They offered to give us their table because "We wanted to make sure we were out of town before (groom) and (bride) got here." They HATED the bride which made it even more awkward.

Oh, and they took all their wedding pictures at a gas station to be "ironic." Actually pumping gas. Into a car.

Que even more trolling. Eventually she shut her account down.

So. Yeah. That one was bad.

• Summer
    Super August 2018
    Summer ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Oh goodness I just cringed so hard! This girl sounds like a peach..
  • Orchids
    Master March 2018
    Orchids ·
    • Flag

Sheeeeesh, nothing as bad as these stories, but I will never forget flying from CA to OH for a cousin's wedding and being conscripted in to making centerpieces and decorating the day of. Never got a thank-you either. -_-

Comment on this discussion