Ma Anna
Savvy October 2020

Wedding dress

Ma Anna, on November 21, 2019 at 7:13 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 18
Saved Save
Hi ladies. When did you start looking for wedding dress? Like a year before your wedding? 6,9 months?

18 Comments

• Yoice
    Rockstar March 2019
    Yoice
    • Flag
    I started looking 12 months before. Got my dress 11 months before the wedding.
  • Kathryn
    Super April 2020
    Kathryn
    • Flag
    I would suggest a year out! You want to leave 2 months for alterations, and I think most salons say a dress can take 6 months or so. David's Bridal it just kind of depends on the stock they have, but I got mine in two weeks.
  • Future Mrs. A. 馃拲
    VIP November 2020
    Future Mrs. A. 馃拲
    • Flag
    I have my dress already 馃槵馃槵馃槵my date is 11.8.20
  • Ell毛
    Beginner May 2021
    Ell毛
    • Flag
    I get married September 2020 and I have my dress already. I bought it 2 or 3 weeks after I was engaged. Good luck! 馃挆
  • Amber
    Super September 2020
    Amber
    • Flag
    They say you need to start planning 12 months or/ more before your wedding.

10-12 months start shopping for wedding gown.
    6-9 months select and ordered your wedding gown.
    I don't remember when I started going dress shopping but I do remember I started going to bridal shows Jan 2019 and did some dress shopping during spring/summer.
    I just purchased my dress in Oct 3rd 馃槏 it's was off the rack fit me perfectly all I need is some atlernations but I'm making payments on my dress tho.
    My wedding isn't till September and I'm finally now shopping for BM dresses.

• Nicole
    Devoted August 2020
    Nicole
    • Flag
    I started shopping at 9 months before. I would鈥檝e started earlier, but life happened where I had to postpone dress shopping. It takes 6 months to order my dress and 3 months for alterations. I would鈥檝e started looking at least 12 months before the wedding if I had it my way.
  • S
    Devoted June 2020
    Sophie
    • Flag
    I went shopping 11 months before and ordered the dress 10 months before.
  • H
    Savvy August 2020
    Hanna
    • Flag
    I got mine 13 months early. The bridal salon I went to says it can take 6-9 months for the dress to come in and then you also need time for alterations.
  • Kelsey
    Devoted October 2020
    Kelsey
    • Flag
    I鈥檓 getting married 10/3/20 and I have my first 2 appointments tomorrow. I was going to wait until January but my MOH said I need to get a move on because they take time to come in, alterations, etc
  • Heather
    Beginner March 2021
    Heather
    • Flag
    My wedding is not until March of 2023 but i already have my dress unaltered of course. Good luck.
  • Hillary
    Devoted April 2020
    Hillary
    • Flag
    April 25 2020 wedding here...I bought my dress back in March and just the call last Friday that it came in. So it took 8 months. I would do at least a year out depending on what designer you want. Some will take only a few months while some take 8-9 months.
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride
    • Flag
    About 12 months. It took 8 months for my dress to come in.
  • D
    Just Said Yes January 2020
    December
    • Flag

9 months before my wedding !

• C
    Just Said Yes August 2020
    Cassie
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I'm with you. We are planning for Aug 2020 and I recently had a hand surgery which is delaying my dress shopping. Starting to panic. Hoping before end of December I'll have my dress picked.
  • Emma
    Dedicated April 2020
    Emma
    • Flag

I'm getting married in April. I started looking around last April and bought a dress in June. I don't think there is any harm in looking around and getting ideas, but do be mindful of dress regret. It happens to a lot of us even when we love the dresses we picked. More time between when you get your dress and when you get married leaves more time to look at dresses and have second thoughts. But at the end of the day, its your wedding so do it on your timeline!

• Taylor
    Rockstar October 2020
    Taylor
    • Flag

I ordered my dress on 9/28/19, it will come in the first week of February, and my wedding is 10/10/20. The designer that I chose is historically quick to get dresses shipped. Most take two months longer. I would start looking for sureSmiley smile

• Rebecca
    Savvy September 2020
    Rebecca
    • Flag
    I鈥檓 getting married early September 2020 and started looking for my dress in mid-November of this year. Bought it a few days later. Most places I went to mentioned that a new dress that needed to be ordered could take anywhere from 2-7 months. The dress I bought *should* arrive end of Feb.
  • Paula
    Beginner May 2020
    Paula
    • Flag

I bought my dress 7 months before my wedding date which is May 2020. Just make sure you pay attention to how long it takes the designer to make the dress because after you order your dress it could take months for the dress to come in.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics