Ashley
Expert October 2021

Wedding dress fears

Ashley, on November 20, 2019 at 10:40 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 5
Saved Save
Anyone else putting off trying on wedding dresses or am I the only one? I’ve been putting it off, but now I’m 11 months to, and I feel like I need to get a move on. I’ve never been comfortable with my appearance, and I am definitely not a dress person. I do feel like it’s probably just in my head, but I have no idea how to get past it.

I know I can’t be the only one. Any advice? 🙈🙈

5 Comments

Latest activity by Kaylee, on December 3, 2019 at 9:51 AM
  • Sharon
    Expert September 2021
    Sharon ·
    • Flag
    Bite the bullet and just start doing. I was feeling anxious because I'm plus size, not comfortable with how I look and shopping for regular clothes is always a stressful challenge for me. I went to David's Bridal first. They have a big selection of plus size so trying on dresses actually was fun! I went to another salon and same thing. I really enjoyed the process and never thought I would. Find the silhouette that makes you feel comfortable and beautiful. That dress is out there for you.
  • Kelsey
    Savvy November 2020
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag
    Your consultant will be all the help in the world as well! This is your day to have fun and enjoy it! I was extremely nervous after having a bad experience with dress shopping. My consultant was amazing!! This is their job this is what they love doing when you get the right person it helps! I went to a store that only allowed me to try on dresses in one size and if they didn’t fit right because of the material, cut or what not she wouldn’t let me leave. The shop I bought my dress from had me try on everything! They did whatever they could to make me see how the dress would actually look on me. Trust them as well, I went in thinking I was going to get something completely different and the stylist pulled something I hated on the rack but loved so much I didn’t take it off!
  • Kathryn
    VIP August 2020
    Kathryn ·
    • Flag
    I second David's Bridal! I watched too much Say Yes to the Dress, and the larger brides were always clipped to within an inch of their life. After we got engaged, I decided to bite the bullet and go look - I originally was going to go look with my mom over Thanksgiving, but we moved the date up to seven months out and I needed to get over my anxiety.

Anyway, my consultant was amazing. She calmed me down, showed me a little bit of everything, and we were both shocked when I kept going back to the first dress. You just have to go and try to enjoy the process. It's fun to try things, see what works and what doesn't. Make sure you drink plenty of water - those dresses are heavy! - and wear good underwear. Most of all trust the consultants!
  • J
    Expert May 2021
    Jaime ·
    • Flag

I was nervous too! I am a plus size bride so I did a lot of research and read a lot of reviews before going because I wanted to have the absolute best experience possible. I went to a plus size boutique that had a ton of dresses and I could try them all on. Go in with some ideas of what you like but know they may also have some other ideas for you. I let my consultant know that I was nervous and just saying it out loud helped! My consultant was lovely and really got to know me and pulled all the right dresses. Like a pp above, I also wore undergarments that fit well.

• Kaylee
    Just Said Yes February 2020
    Kaylee ·
    • Flag
    I hated the idea of trying on dresses in the store. I am a curvy bride and know most places won't stock anything "plus" sized. I found a video of someone with my same fears but the went to Anomalie instead which made me curious, so I checked them out. At first I didn't believe the testimonials of all these brides so happy, but getting to custom make your own dress, and not deal with the shops and their ridiculous mark ups, it honestly was the best experience of my life. Everyone I worked with to get my dream dress was friendly and easy to talk to and work with, especially because I only know a handful of dress terminology, it just made everything a breeze. If you have some solid ideas of what you want and are working with a small budget like I was (1,100) then I recommend you give them a chance. https://dressanomalie.com/invite?ref=kayleeb247150

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics