Erica
Beginner August 2019

Wedding Dress Alterations

Erica, on April 15, 2019 at 6:28 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 11
Saved Save
Hi everyone! I had a question about dress alterations. The place I purchased my dress doesn't do alterations so I received two recommendations on good places to go. Did y'all just choose a location or is it OK to go to both to see what I like best? I wasn't sure...

11 Comments

• VIP September 2019
    ·
    • Flag
    I would definetly go to both. Check out their work and obtain estimates. A wedding dress is big investment and you want to look fabulous but not be broke either. Good luck
  • Jennifer
    Expert October 2019
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag
    Yep, you want to get their rates and ask food references and before and after photos. Make sure you like their work!
  • Victorian Bride
    VIP June 2026
    Victorian Bride ·
    • Flag
    I don't know what alterations you need done, but please make sure it's someone used to altering wedding gowns!! So important. Also, get before and after pics. My lady is SUPER expensive, but she is the best and she'll make sure my gown fits as perfectly as possible. Best wishes!!
  • Erika
    Expert April 2019
    Erika ·
    • Flag

I would check both to price check the cost. If you search for your own, make sure they do bridal alterations because this is almost a specialty lol

• Sinéad
    WeddingWire Administrator January 2025
    Sinéad ·
    • Flag

Hey Erica! Yes, it’s absolutely fine to go check out both seamstresses. You want to make sure that you are happy with both the quality of work and the price!! If there is anything you are unsure about, make sure you ask them both! Also, if there are any delicate materials, like lace, make sure they are comfortable working with such fabric!

Is there a lot of alterations needed on your dress?

• Morgan
    Beginner September 2019
    Morgan ·
    • Flag

Definitely okay to go to both, or even to others if you find others that you like! As everyone else has said, ensure that the person/place you go with has plenty of experience in wedding gowns. We only have one person in our area specializing in wedding gowns and she's located an hour away. I drove to see her, was very nervous, but was SO glad I did! She gave us a quote and we set fitting dates. What sold my mom and I on her was the fact that she never hesitated for a second in explaining all of the various alterations my dress needed. I have a lot going on in my dress and she knew that just from seeing the designer name, but she knew exactly what needed to be done, how she'll do it, and explained it to me in terms that made total sense. Her confidence was what sold her. Make sure it's someone you're comfortable with and someone who understands what you want. I've had language barriers and miscommunications present alterations issues with other pieces of clothing before that resulted in botched alterations, so make sure that you are very clear and understood!

• Cynthia's and Robert  Wedding Day
    VIP September 2020
    Cynthia's and Robert Wedding Day ·
    • Flag
    I would ask to see photos of work they have done on wedding gowns. Honestly you just can't go by reviews. You have to judge for yourself and less expensive work does not always mean quality work sometimes cheaper is not better. And that saying goes the same for expensive prices. just because you are paying at the higher rate does not always mean you will receive high quality work.
  • Erica
    Beginner August 2019
    Erica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Not a lot, hemming, taking it in a little, add a bustle and deepen my sweetheart neckline. Thanks so much for the feedback!

• Erica
    Beginner August 2019
    Erica ·
    • Flag

This is all good advice! Both places do specialize in wedding alterations. One place is actually the seamstress in a bridal salon. I will definitely try them both out and ask a lot of questions.

• Jo
    WeddingWire Administrator May 2015
    Jo Online ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Hi Erica! How did the visits to the alterations places go? Was it helpful to check both of them out, were you able to tell from your visits which one you'd prefer to work with?

• Erica
    Beginner August 2019
    Erica ·
    • Flag
    Hey Jo! I actually ended up going to both places and it was a great decision. Their prices were so varied so I’m glad I got both quotes. Also they have different philosophies on how I should alter the dress, so I go to pick what worked better for me.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics