Skip to main content
Jackie
Savvy December 2019

Wedding dress alterations- clear straps??

Jackie, on July 9, 2019 at 3:37 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 11
Saved
Hi all! Has anyone ever had clear straps sewn into a dress?? I am looking to get some extra support in the chest.. but my dress is low and open back... the seamstress put in an ivory strap but I feel it changes the aesthetic from the back and side view. Any thoughts, personal experience, suggestions?? The seamstress told me if I could find the clear material she could sew it in but I'm not sure where I would even start!! In pics she just did a strap one one side to show the difference.

Wedding dress alterations- clear straps?? 1

Wedding dress alterations- clear straps?? 2

11 Comments

Latest activity by Sinéad, on August 15, 2019 at 12:01 PM
  • CourtneyBrittain
    Master August 2019
    CourtneyBrittain ·
    • Flag
    I think the ivory is pretty but if you can find clear I agree it would look pretty!
  • Kiley
    Expert November 2019
    Kiley ·
    • Flag

I agree, the ivory strap does change the look of the dress. I am not sure where to get the material though. Maybe buy a bra that comes with the clear straps (if those are still a thing these days) and remove them from the bra but add to your dress?

• Jo
    WeddingWire Administrator May 2015
    Jo ·
    • Flag

I'd pay a visit to a fabric store and see if you can get some clear or nude fabric - the ivory looks good but it is a different look so I bet you can find something else your seamstress can try

The dress is gorgeous, the back looks so romantic!!

• Jessica
    Master September 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    You can buy the clear bra straps for around $10 on Amazon.
  • Iva
    Super September 2019
    Iva ·
    • Flag
    Agree with Jessica. If you just type clear straps in Amazon you’ll get bunch of them for under $10. Here’s an example:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0756VNYFG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_XSpjDb1S43F9N
  • Christy
    Dedicated May 2019
    Christy ·
    • Flag

I considered doing this. In the end, I got the Uma bodysuit from Ender Legard for my backless dress. They have the option of clear straps as part of it, and I loved having the underwire and cup support. Really great customer service too - you can send them your measurements and pictures of your dress, and they will recommend sizing and the right bodysuit to fit your needs! They're not cheap, but I honestly felt like they were worth it.

• Jackie
    Savvy December 2019
    Jackie ·
    • Flag

Thank you! I have reached out to them. I also did order the perky pears to try as well! Thank you ladies all so much Smiley heart

• Sinéad
    WeddingWire Administrator January 2025
    Sinéad ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Hey Jackie!! How is your dress looking? Have you started your alterations yet?

• Jackie
    Savvy December 2019
    Jackie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Hey Sinead! I did start the alterations. I still have not ordered the clear straps, I feel that the length of the clear straps the way the seamstress was attempting to include them would show. I did look at the Uma bodysuit but it costs $260 which is super expensive. I have my next fitting in a few weeks. The perky pear tape was not what I wanted. I did order these silicone sticky bras that look like petals from VZ Lush. They did an okay job so I am going to attempt to try those on with the dress. If that doesn't work, I am not sure what else to try! I tried a suit similar to the UMA bodysuit from Amazon, but the snap closure in the crotch area were really wide and the clear straps hurt..... But it felt like it held my chest up... !!! so difficult!!

• Jackie
    Savvy December 2019
    Jackie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Hi Christy,

It looks like it would be great, my only hang up in cost :-(

• Sinéad
    WeddingWire Administrator January 2025
    Sinéad ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I'm sorry that you are having such a tough time with this!

I hope that your seamstress will be able to offer a solution at your next fitting!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics