We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Belen
Savvy September 2020

We decided to elope - Jan 2021 bride

Belen, on July 4, 2020 at 11:27 AM Posted in Community Conversations 0 5
Saved Save

Our wedding date was set to be 1/23/21, and although we are 6 months away we decided to cancel our original plans and just do a small ceremony and celebrate with our immediate family in September 2020.

Trying to plan and fully enjoy the wedding process during COVID has been difficult, and honestly so stressful. We also didn't want to risk spending a siginifcant amount of money on something that is not guaranteed or that might be impacted by guest restrictions/mask requirements. So we decided instead to not risk the health of our family and friends, and save our money until we can plan something we can really enjoy.

I am not going to lie, I am really sad but at the same time feel relieved that we are not planning something big during such stressful times. We also decided not to postpone, because scheduling a new date in 2021 would be difficult since so many 2020 brides postponed their wedding to next year.

Our plan now is to get married through our church with just our parents and siblings present, and then host a dinner at my parents home after the ceremony.

So if ya'll have any microwedding tips/ideas, they are welcome!

5 Comments

• Sharonda
    Dedicated January 2021
    Sharonda ·
    • Flag
    My fiance and I have been discussing this very issue this week as well. Our wedding is currently scheduled for January 16 in New Orleans with 200 guests, but with the way this virus is going, I’ve been having second thoughts about proceeding with our current plan - especially before our bridal party starts spending money for dresses, tuxes, etc. We’re thinking of moving our wedding to late fall at a small, private beach in Florida (where we live) with only immediate family as well. I completely understand where you are. Hang in there, and know that you’re not alone! Many blessings to you and your fiancé’. 😊
  • Leah
    Savvy August 2020
    Leah ·
    • Flag
    Hey there. So my wedding was always set for August 1, 2020 but I was planning country club wedding for about 250 but due to Covid-19 the planning became impossible. Around Easter of this year we decided not to continue planning or paying for the large affair. I was sad but relieved as well, so I totally understand how you feel. So we are keeping our date but we rented an air bnb for his parents and brother to stay at and we will be getting married via ZOOM for our friends. I had an awesome Zoom bridal shower that my bridesmaids maids did such a fantastic job on (I had my doubts cause I am personally Zoomed out!!!) We hired caters to make a nice meal for us and then are bridal party is going to do a drive by “Happy Hour” later that evening. The person doing my decor is going to decorate the house. So we are going to just keep it simple, but we are excited!
  • Belen
    Savvy September 2020
    Belen ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Glad to know i'm not the only Jan 2021 bride with the same feelings! A small ceremony in a private beach sounds lovely. Smiley heart

• Belen
    Savvy September 2020
    Belen ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Wow a Zoom bridal shower sounds like fun! I haven't even thought about a bridal shower/ bachelorette because of COVID. I am happy to hear you are making the best of things Smiley heart

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Administrator October 2016
    Lynnie ·
    • Flag

Hi Belen! I understand your feelings, and your desire to scale things back! I’m glad you’ve felt some relief in your decision, and I think your new plans sound wonderful. ❤️

Here are a few posts I’ve seen recently with helpful tips from other couples on small wedding celebrations: Micro or Mini Wedding, Small wedding, and Making a small ceremony special.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles