SoonToBeBergwick
Just Said Yes May 2016

Walmart Wedding Cake

SoonToBeBergwick, on January 8, 2016 at 10:34 AM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 17
Saved

My fiance and I are planning on getting our wedding cake from Walmart to save money. We picked one out from the book at the bakery, but I was wondering if anyone knew whether or not we could bring in a photo of a design and have them copy it? Or does it have to be from that cake book on the counter? And if anyone else got their cake from Walmart, would you be willing to share a photo? Thank you!

17 Comments

Latest activity by annakay511, on January 9, 2016 at 12:39 PM
  • VMDIZZLE
    Master September 2015
    VMDIZZLE ·
    • Flag

Welcome to WW!

Please check out the sticky at the below sticky for some general guidelines and forum lingo. Also, change your avatar, you will get more comments if you personalize your account.

https://www.weddingwire.com/wedding-forums/forum-lingo-frequently-asked-questions/b433c40c1a62b96a.html

Now onto the question, I have seen a few walmart cakes. Most people just chose from the book and then add fresh flowers or ribbon themselves. It really is up to the store, some of them have talented decorators, some can't even spell.

• VMDIZZLE
    Master September 2015
    VMDIZZLE ·
    • Flag

Here is one I saw online, says it was only $135 and served 134 people. That is an awesome deal.

http://www.glamour.com/weddings/blogs/save-the-date/2013/02/news-flash-walmart-makes-weddi

• Sarah195
    Master October 2016
    Sarah195 ·
    • Flag

I haven't tried cake from Walmart but my friend ordered her wedding cupcakes from Sam's Club and they were delicious. They also had sunflowers decorated on them and were done beautifully. It was a lot less for her to order them from Sam's than a bakery. I would imagine if Sam's could do beautiful sunflowers they might be able to decorate it how you want. You would really have to go in and ask them though.

• JoRocka
    Master September 2016
    JoRocka ·
    • Flag

I don't think she mentioned put a photo on it but using the design of a photo.

You might by the way be able to but it'll probably cost more. And it's a crap shoot of what you're going to get.

If you keep it simple you might come out on top.

• Celia Milton
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

I would not ask them to do something they don't normally do.

• Nancy Taussig
    Nancy Taussig ·
    • Flag

Also, they can not use a copyrighted or trademarked design.

• Sarah
    Dedicated September 2014
    Sarah ·
    • Flag

Sam's Club over Walmart any day. We had Sam's do our at home celebration and people couldn't get over how good the cake and cupcakes were. Our Sam's has 30 cupcakes for like $15 I believe, and they are huge!

• SpringBride16
    Super March 2016
    SpringBride16 ·
    • Flag

Walmart cakes are delicious... surprisingly! So if you're on a budget, stock to it and choose a design not too complicated and you should be fine!

• CareBear
    VIP March 2016
    CareBear ·
    • Flag

I am getting my cake and cupcakes from sam's club for an awesome deal.

2 tier cakes are 33.00

3 tier cakes are 58.00

cupcakes are 15.00 for 30 cupcakes

Cake flavors are white or chocolate, frosting is buttercream and fillings are either strawberry or chocolate.

Cupcakes come in white and chocolate flavors with whipped or buttercream frosting

They have a book and I picked from the book from the cake. They are even doing rosettes on all the cupcakes.

Much better deal then the 500 dollar and up quotes I was getting from bakeries. Their cakes are fresh and very good!

• Kels
    Master August 2016
    Kels ·
    • Flag

I think it may vary completely from location to location. If you have someone who works in the bakery and has an artistic side they may be able to copy and work with what resources they have. But if you have someone who just does the basics then they would have a harder time.

Talk to the manager and see. You could get lucky! :3

• Brittany
    Dedicated April 2017
    Brittany ·
    • Flag

Thanks for the feedback ladies. I was thinking about not getting a cake from a bakery because of the expense and it's not that important to my fiancé and I. These prices seem very reasonable.

• SoonToBeBergwick
    Just Said Yes May 2016
    SoonToBeBergwick ·
    • Flag

Thanks guys! I actually talked to one of the bakers today, and she said as long as it isn't licensed, they can recreate a cake form a photo. I appreciate that some of you said it might not look the way I want, but she told me if I come in with the design early (they only need 2 weeks notice) they will practice it before the real deal. That boosts my confidence because at least I know they'll be working on making it better each time!

I'm going to see if there's a Sam's Club near my venue, though, before I place an order, because $58 is an even better deal than the $149 Walmart quoted me!

Thanks again everyone!

• NewMrsWesely
    Master September 2016
    NewMrsWesely ·
    • Flag

I was going to go with sams club but we have a local chain grocery store that their cakes are very amazing and multiple flavors. Found out that they are only a little more than sams.

• The New Mrs.McGary
    Devoted October 2016
    The New Mrs.McGary ·
    • Flag

Some bakeries will not copy a cake design due to copyright and not wanting to be sued and all that good stuff....like we have Publix where I stay and they don't duplicate things from online due to the copyright policy....but you can always ask walmart....

• FutureMrsHarris
    Super April 2017
    FutureMrsHarris ·
    • Flag

I think it depends on your location...the Walmart near my home town, I would never get them to make a cake for me..they look horrible. However, travel about an hr or so away from me, the cakes look professional and they do taste good!!

• FinallyARivera2018
    Dedicated June 2018
    FinallyARivera2018 ·
    • Flag

I'm from Florida so I actually plan to get my cake from publix I think they have the best tasting cake all around

• annakay511
    Master July 2015
    annakay511 ·
    • Flag

Nothing to add but please change your avatar! The rings are associated with spam/trolls.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics