Skip to main content
Emma
Savvy October 2020

Vintage dresses

Emma, on April 25, 2019 at 3:50 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 26
Saved
Is anyone else wearing a family member's dress? I'm wearing my mom's from 1992, but making a few changes. I have to get rid of those sleeves!

Vintage dresses 1

26 Comments

Latest activity by Sophie, on September 6, 2019 at 4:49 PM
  • Alicia
    VIP August 2019
    Alicia ·
    • Flag

I'm not, but I think that's awesome that you! Hope you share the finished alterations with us!

• A
    Savvy March 2021
    Anne ·
    • Flag
    I’m wearing my grandmother’s dress from 1948! My mother wore it as well, and I also plan it to wear it unaltered. It’s long sleeved in a lovely silk satin. I’m super excited to wear it!
  • Lil Bug
    Dedicated June 2020
    Lil Bug ·
    • Flag
    I wish I was! I always wanted to wear my mom’s dress, but she’s 4’10” and I’m 5’7”...

The details on your dress are beautiful!
  • Mrs. H
    Master September 2019
    Mrs. H ·
    • Flag

I'm not. I do love long-sleeves, and while my mom's dress does have them, she also had basically a lace turtleneck, as she apparently gets "red in the chest" when she's nervous and didn't want pics of that on her wedding day Smiley xd

Your mom's dress looks gorgeous on you though!

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

I wanted too, but it was a ballgown and I'm so much shorter than my mom! It swallowed me up! I'm happy you are, I think that's so cool!

• Summerbride77
    VIP July 2019
    Summerbride77 ·
    • Flag
    I tried on my grandmother’s dress just for fun...it look objectively bad on my. Truly awful! But I have a blue now we found sewn on its lining, sewn on the lining of my dress.
  • Alycia
    Expert September 2021
    Alycia ·
    • Flag
    I tried my grandma dress but it was too yellow unfortunately and my mom's is too 80's Blah....

Love the dress in you, post the pics when you remove the sleeves would love to see it
  • Emma
    Savvy October 2020
    Emma ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I totally will!
  • Emma
    Savvy October 2020
    Emma ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Oh my god!! Do you have any pictures?! That'll be amazing! I'm wearing my grandmother's veil, but she was born in 1949, so it's not as vintage as yours!
  • Emma
    Savvy October 2020
    Emma ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you!! My mom is 5'7", and I'm 5'9" but I think those two inches are in my neck length.
  • Emma
    Savvy October 2020
    Emma ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! My grandmother's is pretty yellow too, but it's also the style of a tomboy teenage girl in the mid to late '60s who weighed like 100 lbs soaking wet. I doubt it'd fit me, lol!

I'm lucky my mom was never into fashion trends, otherwise I don't think I could wear it!
  • Chandra
    Master May 2019
    Chandra ·
    • Flag
    My mom was like a size 10 when she got married....I'm a size 20....wouldn't work! She said I could deconstruct her dress if I wanted to because it was important to both of us to incorporate something from her wedding day. I'm wearing the veil that she made! We switched it from being on a floppy Sunhat to a comb. (That's my sister wearing it haha)

Vintage dresses 2
  • Kelly
    Super October 2019
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    That dress looks beautiful on you & that is so awesome that you are wearing ur mom’s dress. I’m wearing my cousin wedding sash (I believe that it has a more officially name).
  • Wendy
    Super August 2021
    Wendy ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    OMG can we see a pic!!!!Smiley smile
  • Wendy
    Super August 2021
    Wendy ·
    • Flag
    Wow that’s awesome!!!! It looks beautiful on you!! Can’t wait to see the finished results!!
  • Expert August 2020
    ·
    • Flag

That's cool. Looks great on you!

I could never wear anyone's dress though. My mom is taller and a good bit heavier. She just got married in a white sundress the first time (1982); which is long since gone. When she remarried (1997), she wore a silk two piece hi-lo skirt suit with puffy sleeves. Not my style in other words. Being the last woman in my immediate family to get married, you'd think that wearing a relative's dress might have been an option but it wasn't. My aunt was married several times and never wore a wedding dress either time. My SIL probably would have let me borrow her dress but the bust had been taken in considerably and it would have been way too long for me.

My wedding dress was a classic ballgown with a sweetheart neckline. I kind of hope my niece wants to wear it some day since it's starting to look like she's going to be a runt too. But if not, I won't be hurt.

• Expert August 2020
    ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Great compromise if you can call it that!

• Clíodhna
    WeddingWire Administrator January 2030
    Clíodhna ·
    • Flag

This is so cool Emma! How does your mom feel about you wearing her dress?

What other changes are you making apart from the sleeves?

Looking forward to seeing the finished version already Smiley smile

• A
    Savvy March 2021
    Anne ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    So I don’t have any pics on my phone but I’ll work on getting some!
  • Emma
    Savvy October 2020
    Emma ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Aww, I love it! I'm about 30 lbs heavier than my mom was, so I'm adding a corset to the back!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics