Vanessa
Just Said Yes October 2020

Venues - cash only

Vanessa, on September 11, 2019 at 10:12 PM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 17
Saved Save
Hi ladies ! I just started the crazy venue search process , hoping to get married next fall. I have one question- is it normal for a venue to only accept cash payments? I only looked into one venue so far, and they wanted a $6000 down payment , and 50% 5 months before the wedding , CASH ONLY. Is this the norm, or will other vendors accept credit cards? I plan on paying in cash or check anyway, I’m just worried about if something unexpected comes up, I’d feel more comfortable having the option to charge if I need to.

17 Comments

• Peggy
    Master November 2019
    Peggy ·
    My venue only takes cashiers checks, which is basically cash. They said they would be willing to take credit if needed but with a fee.
  • M
    Super September 2019
    Mrs. Bubba ·
    Idk, but get that in writing along with a receipt if you decide to go with that place.

That seems a bit steep, without knowing the area.
  • Kat
    Expert May 2019
    Kat ·
    In my experience most venues do accept credit cards, but will charge a fee.
  • Prynne
    Devoted October 2020
    Prynne ·

I only toured two venues, but researched a TON, and I don't recall any of them only accepting cash payments. For mine, I think we had a cash or check option for the deposit (I hand delivered the check to them), but they accept credit cards for the final payment.

Being able to pay with a credit card is something I've double-checked for all of our vendors, because we're going to try and earn some travel points!

• Futuremrsmccormack
    Super February 2020
    Futuremrsmccormack ·
    Just make sure you get a receipt from them for the payment along with the countersigned contract! I've seen enough Judge Judy to know that much, lol
  • L
    Dedicated September 2019
    LJ ·
    Mine only takes cash or cashiers checks. My understanding is a lot of venues have converted to that method between excessive credit card fees and fraud issues. I had wanted to basically charge my venue and then pay it off right away to take advantage of the miles, and like you, have the flexibility of a little extra time in case of an emergency, but no such luck.
  • Vanessa
    Just Said Yes October 2020
    Vanessa ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you ! Yeah I figured there would be a fee for credit. Like I said, I do plan on paying in cash/check , however life happens sometimes ! I don’t want to risk not being able to come up with the cash, and not having the option to charge if I absolutely have to
  • Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle ·
    My venue took both but prefers cash since there would be a 3% charge if they take credit card.
  • Yam
    VIP September 2019
    Yam ·
    Ask if they would accept Paypal at least? That way even if you’re paying cash from your bank account, you have proof of payment. At the very least get proof in writing!! There’s too many horror stories to trust anybody.
  • Erin
    Super April 2021
    Erin ·

All of the venues I'm looking at accept cash, checks, or cards.

• Samantha
    Expert October 2020
    Samantha ·
    I didn’t look into any places that accepted cash. It’s a liability issue having that much money on site, so they only accept cards or check.
  • Erin
    Savvy April 2021
    Erin ·
    Mine only takes cash/cashiers checks but our deposit could be credit.
  • Diana
    Rockstar December 2019
    Diana ·
    That’s a little weird. I would definitely get everything in writing!!!
  • MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·

I have never heard of that. We talked to over 30 venues and all accepted credit cards with no extra fee. Same with all our vendors.

• Catherine
    Expert November 2019
    Catherine ·

No, i would say most venues accept cash or card. Cash saves them the hassle of returned fee's and the card processing fee/tax. some might charge you a card processing fee.

• Future Mrs. Danger
    Expert November 2019
    Future Mrs. Danger ·

They must have gotten burnt in the past. That is a pretty aggressive payment structure, too. When is your final payment due?

The venues we toured, were all fine with checks and credit cards.

• Ocbride2019
    Beginner June 2019
    Ocbride2019 ·

My venue took payment though personal checks, which we expected since it was a small place that was privately owned.

Comment on this discussion