Holly
Savvy September 2021

Venue and wedding dress problems.

Holly, on December 26, 2020 at 11:24 PM Posted in Planning 0 14
Saved
Ok im at a standstill! I don't know what kind of venue i want. I thought i did but not for sure. Im having a Rustic, Cinderella, and Southern Belle themed wedding. Ive looked at 6 dresses yes online. And i love all of them i don't know what to do. And for the venue i do know i want it all in the same location for the reception and caremony. I don't know if i should do it at a barn or like a historical mansion. Please help any suggestions.

14 Comments

Latest activity by Holly, on December 28, 2020 at 9:30 PM
  • T
    Super April 2021
    Tiger Bride ·
    • Flag

Well for starters I think you're asking two different questions. I would not try to match the dress to the venue or the "theme". I had a bridal consultant or two try to get me to do that and I pushed back. You are the bride, not a prop or a piece of decor; wear the dress *you* like best.

Second, you really have to go in person to try the dresses on. What a dress looks like online may be very different from how it looks on you, both good and bad!

Have you visited any of the venues yet? Once you are there I think you will get a better feel for which fits your theme/vibe.

• Kristen
    Master November 2020
    Kristen ·
    • Flag

Honey only you can make that decision. None of us can because we all have difference of opinions on what we would want for our wedding. I will say being indecisive is normal because there are so many options. Have you tried on dresses or toured venues? A little easier to have reception and ceremony in one place. Would make sense two separate locations if you wanted to get married in a religious place or park and reception elsewhere.

• Caitlin
    Devoted May 2021
    Caitlin ·
    • Flag
    For me, im a matchy type of gal.
    My venue is a modern barn but my dress is very glamorous.

You can do more of a barn or outdoorsy venue to get the rustic feel.. Dress doesnt have to match. Its really what makes you feel like THIS IS THE DRESS. My friend had more of a rustic feel but mostly just brick and outdoor porch wooden gazebo
    Venue and wedding dress problems. 1
    Venue and wedding dress problems. 2

• Holly
    Savvy September 2021
    Holly ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes i have went to a couple of the venues and i felt the rustic vibe but not for the Cinderella or southern belle so im stuck on that part. And for the dreses i have went and looked but cant find any dress that firs my theme so no luck yet on that part.
  • Victorian Bride
    Master February 2022
    Victorian Bride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Holly, this is just my personal opinion. Based on the themes you've mentioned, I personally think a historic mansion will give you the look you're after. Plus, you can do everything at most, and some are B & B's. You can add rustic touches at an old mansion in your signs, table accents, & similar items. Definitely your bouquet.

As to your gown. You need to call the salons, try to find some that are smaller more boutique type who will cater to you. Tell them your theme or the look you are after, so they'll pull gowns accordingly. If you live in the South, they should have plenty of ballgowns. My boutique did. I would think you'd want a ballgown with your theme, but there are all different cuts in that one style. You will need to try them on and see what you prefer.
  • Belle
    VIP August 2022
    Belle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I agree. For the dress, you need to try them. You can like a dress but then it doesn’t fit your figure. That happens to me. Unless you look like a model who can pull any type of dress. I ended up with a dress I thought it wasn’t for me. The ones I love swallowed me.
  • Holly
    Savvy September 2021
    Holly ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you that helps out alot and unfortunately im in Wisconsin so they really don't have what im looking for but im still looking
  • Mrs. Spring
    Master April 2021
    Mrs. Spring ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I agree with this, only you can make that decision
  • Victorian Bride
    Master February 2022
    Victorian Bride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Another option for a venue is a historic hotel. Many will have the look and feel of a historic mansion. I'm sure you are looking at the list of vendors on here.

Have you thought of a destination wedding? You could always come down South. Many venue options in many different States. Wisconsin is such a lovely state, I'm sure you will find the perfect venue. Don't give up, you've just started looking.
    Another option if you want an outdoor event, is to have it in a beautiful garden. I know you have botanical gardens, or a beautiful lake setting with a gazebo. If in the evening, could make it magical with tons of white lights. Just a thought. Definitely would fit your Cinderella theme. Many places look even more beautiful and fairytaleish once those lights are on.
    Also, if none of the salons have a gown you like (which I can't imagine), look at CocoMelody. Think I have that name right. They will do a custom gown. I have bridesmaids dresses from them and they are amazing. There is also a Facebook page and brides seem to be thrilled with their wedding gowns. You can order swatches. Lots of support from that company on the page. I sure hope this helps!! ❤
  • Kristen
    Master November 2020
    Kristen ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Hello. Do you happen to have pictures because this is a theme that I've never heard of and I can't exactly imagine. It sounds like you've come up with a very creative theme that hasn't really been done which the good thing about that is it I feel like you can make that work for you. If you want my suggestion when I think southern belle and when I think Cinderella I think big ball gown dress I think honestly you should find a ball gown dress but the way you do your hair and accessories can give it either a southern belle or Cinderella look. I feel like the theme you're looking to do is not very common and you're probably going to find little resources on it so it's best for you to start a blank canvas. No matter what venue you choose I would choose one, and this will cost you more money, one where you can decorate it from the bottom up. So for example I wouldn't go to a country club if you're trying to do Southern Belle Cinderella rather the good thing about some barns is that it is a clean slate and then you can add accents to give it a Southern Belle and Cinderella charm. I think you should sit down and really think of different aspects of southern belle you want and certain aspects of Cinderella that you want and see hike Incorporated in regards to the venue as well as your overall look. For example I think Cinderella I think that up to you that she had so maybe your hairstyle is an updo kind of an odd to Cinderella.
  • Michelle
    Rockstar April 2021
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    I agree with the others- don’t get a dress to match the venue. You might love the dresses online but it’s a huge difference between actually trying them on. All the pics I saw online, all the ideas in my head, are nothing to the dress I ended up with!
  • Holly
    Savvy September 2021
    Holly ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes that helps out alot. And yes i have thought of a destination wedding but unfortunately have to keep it local due to my moms fibro so long trips are out for her for now.
  • Victorian Bride
    Master February 2022
    Victorian Bride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I understand. I have it, too, but we are going early and staying longer to give me time to recuperate from the flight. I also have an autoimmune disease so I definitely can relate. I'm here if I can assist in anyway. ❤
  • Holly
    Savvy September 2021
    Holly ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you sweetheart. Same for you too. You need any help im here too

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics