We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Allison
Savvy June 2021

Uncertain about what to do.

Allison, on April 29, 2020 at 10:26 AM Posted in Community Conversations 0 6
Saved Save

I was supposed to get married May 30, 2020 and we postponed our event until August 30, 2020 thinking that COVID-19 would blow over by then. As the days go on I'm become less and less hopeful that it will happen. Even if we are legally allowed to hold our event, I'm sure their will be restrictions on the number of guests and we would still need to social distance. To me, this seems like it'd be a huge waste of money to throw an event where people wouldn't have fun. I'm starting to think of options. One is to just push the wedding out a year. I'm not keen on this though because I really want my marriage to start and we originally wanted to tie the knot sooner rather than later due to my fiancé's concern over his mother's health. Second option (which is what I'm leaning towards), would be to hold a small ceremony to get legally married in the Catholic church and then postpone the reception until 2021. I'm wondering about logistics. For brides who have done this, how do you deal with things like videography/photography, dress, hair/makeup? I'm just not really sure how I would make this work. I'm thinking of all of the brides going through this right now. This is obviously not the way we ever envisioned things, but we will still have a special day.

6 Comments

Latest activity by Gina, on April 30, 2020 at 2:02 PM
  • M
    Savvy May 2020
    Meredith ·
    • Flag
    We postponed from May 30 to August 16. We have decided that we are getting married August 16 no matter what. We are not willing to postpone again or wait another year (we’ve already been engaged a year and a half and want to start trying to start a family soon). We have accepted that our wedding will probably look different than what we originally envisioned. But I am personally excited now about the idea of having a smaller wedding. More time to focus on your fiancé and family, taking amazing pictures, soaking it all in, etc.! Best of luck to you!
  • Natalie
    Devoted December 2021
    Natalie ·
    • Flag
    I’ve read many posts where brides are postponing an intimate ceremony to a later time when courts are back open, but hosting the reception a year later as an anniversary celebration! As a guest, I think this would be so sweet. Knowing you both went forward with getting married but made the decision to party with everyone at a safer time!
  • Sara
    Dedicated August 2020
    Sara ·
    • Flag
    We postponed from may 9th to august 30th. However we did that back in March and we quickly and fortunately got our marriage license right before everything shut down. Our next problem was finding someone to marry us. Our officiant is a bit older and she was afraid of catching the virus. My hairdresser and make up artist and photographer also couldnt come because in the state of ct all non essential businesses are getting fined a lot of money if they open. So we eventually just decided to elope with just parents in the backyard. And my father in law got ordained online and married us. Which we did April 19th. All in all it was a beautiful day. I did my own hair and make up, pictures were taken by family and nothing else really mattered because I married my best friend. It was nothing like I had envisioned but honestly I wouldnt have had it any other way.
  • Erin
    Dedicated August 2020
    Erin ·
    • Flag

Disclaimer - my situation is probably not the same as yours.

I'm fortunate to live in the middle of the country (think flyover states) and our governor is starting to open our economy back up. Because of that, I will be able to have my wedding on May 30th. However, much of my fiance's family won't be able to make it in May due to stay-at-home orders. Therefore we will be having our large ceremony (wedding celebration) on August, 2nd. We moved most of our vendors to the August date. The one exception is our photographer (no videographer) who we will have for both days. Due to budget constraints, I'm not having my make-up professionally done and may have my hair done by my hair dresser. Also, I will be wearing my dress both days. Why not wear it twice?

Hope this helps!

• thisismrsb
    Expert June 2019
    thisismrsb ·
    • Flag
    Don't feel discouraged. It might be over by August. When it is, all of your guests will be so happy to come and celebrate with you. Worst case scenario, you have a private civil ceremony at the courthouse and then have your religious ceremony and reception at a later date.
  • Gina
    WeddingWire Administrator April 2021
    Gina ·
    • Flag

Hi Allison,

I'm sorry you're having to think about postponing your August wedding on top of planning your big day. eyFYBiGtFgC4Ag-LxBWWMP5UvJmt7cCKk6ZuRGas

I agree with the recommendations above. While this is definitely an uncertain time, it seems like plenty of August couples are waiting to make postponement decisions. Of course, everyone's situation is different, so it never hurts to be proactive about plan B!

You also aren't alone right now! ❤️ Other August couples are discussing their COVID-19 concerns here: I need you, August 2020 brides

Plus, there are many resources on our website to help you navigate the serious decision to postpone your wedding: Our COVID-19 Weddings Advice Guide.

Hope this helps!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇