We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Amethyst
Savvy July 2020

To Honeymoon Big or Not

Amethyst, on October 24, 2019 at 3:54 PM Posted in Honeymoon 0 48
Saved Save
So we had all intentions going to Jamaica for our honeymoon but the plane tickets were surprisingly high in June. Now I am starting to think if we spend that much money in Jamaica we should go to Hawaii instead.

but then again I can’t get myself to spend another 3-4K on a trip. So I’m thinking we might look at a simpler honeymoon like key west or Arizona.

did you take a smaller honeymoon and later regret it?

48 Comments

• Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag

We're taking a mini-moon immediately after the wedding (mostly because of timing) and a bigger trip in the spring. Maybe you could do the same to spread out the expenses?

• Amethyst
    Savvy July 2020
    Amethyst ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Good idea. Where are you mini mooning and then where are you going on your big honeymoon?
  • Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

We're going to Gatlinburg, TN. It's beautiful in the fall and we didn't want to leave the country for 4 days just to be back in time for Thanksgiving. We're planning to take a cruise in March or April.

• Angel
    Devoted August 2020
    Angel ·
    • Flag

We're intentionally have a smaller wedding celebration so that we can splurge more on the honeymoon. We can't justify spending thousands of dollars on food for everyone else and have to budget our own honeymoon celebration. We do have a tight budget too. We're honeymooning in Big Sur and then Canada. Hawaii would have been another choice but we've both been there already. I say go big on the honeymoon!

• Kiley
    Expert November 2019
    Kiley ·
    • Flag

We are taking a big honeymoon (I know, not the question you were asking), but when we looked at our future plans, I felt like we needed one more epic trip as we are wanting to start a family fairly soon (we are in our 30s). There is always time for other trips, so you have to do what fits best with your budget and life though!

• Kaitlin
    Devoted June 2020
    Kaitlin ·
    • Flag
    We're taking a minimoon to Torch Lake, Michigan for five days and plan to take a bigger trip on our first anniversary. Neither of us have the time to take off work or money yet for a bigger honeymoon.
  • MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

I assume Hawaii won't be much cheaper (or cheaper at all) than Jamaica. If you don't want to spend a few thousand on a trip, I would do something in the continental US like San Diego, LA, San Francisco, Florida, New Orleans, New York, etc.

• Watts
    Super March 2020
    Watts ·
    • Flag
    Where in AZ would you want to go?
  • Amethyst
    Savvy July 2020
    Amethyst ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Scottsdale!
  • Amethyst
    Savvy July 2020
    Amethyst ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    It honestly is surprisingly the same price... I mapped both out! I even included tours and food
  • MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That's surprising! We spent 8k on our honeymoon to Hawaii and my mother recently went to Jamaica and spent 3k total. I think a lot depends on hotel, food, activities, rental car, etc. too.

• Amethyst
    Savvy July 2020
    Amethyst ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes I guess airlines are cheaper now since southwest opened services there. Plus we would be going 6 nights there if we did go.
  • MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

We went for 7 nights. Our round trip fair from Denver to Hawaii (and from Maui to Oahu) was around $2,000 for two people total.

• Amethyst
    Savvy July 2020
    Amethyst ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Wow! We would only be staying in Oahu
  • Jasmine
    Rockstar February 2021
    Jasmine ·
    • Flag

Due to weather at our honeymoon destination, we're waiting 6 months. We'll be doing a mini-moon weekend right after though to still have that time off together.

• Watts
    Super March 2020
    Watts ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Born and raised in Arizona, Scottsdale is not normally a big honeymoon spot (I'm sitting in Scottsdale right now). It's like a normal shopping city. There are some pretty hiking spots, some mountain views. June is one of our hottest months, you're talking 100-112 outside with no cloud cover. I don't know where you live, maybe that's what you are looking for. I'd recommend Sedona, it's absolutely beautiful. Still gets hot up there but not as bad. You should visit Jerome, it's an old hippie town in the mountains. It's super fun.
  • Amethyst
    Savvy July 2020
    Amethyst ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Hmmm interesting!! Thanks for the Info!
  • Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I had a big one. Spent a lot. But didn't regret it at all aha
  • E
    Devoted November 2019
    Emily ·
    • Flag
    We are using airline points to fly and only going for three nights . I wish we could do longer stay but o am thankful for what we can do
  • Merline
    Super February 2020
    Merline ·
    • Flag
    We are going to the mountains and renting a cabin for a week. We are still paying for the wedding and saving for a house. We plan on doing something bigger for our 1st anniversary.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles