We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Future Mrs. 27
Devoted June 2015

Tipping at Final Dress Fitting?

Future Mrs. 27, on June 3, 2015 at 1:33 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 13
Saved Save

I have my final dress fitting tomorrow. I noticed when I was at the store for my first fitting that there was a note that said something about tipping the seamstress. Am I supposed to tip the seamstress tomorrow? If so how much? If not who are you tipping? Thank you!

13 Comments

Latest activity by April, on June 4, 2015 at 12:27 PM
  • Maltese
    Master June 2015
    Maltese ·
    • Flag

I didn't...but I had to pay for my alterations in cash...I'm guessing because a portion of that (if not all) went right to the seamstresses...I had about 4 fittings, each one with a different of 2 seamstresses, they flip flopped appointments

• Julia
    Super March 2016
    Julia ·
    • Flag

No idea. Following!

• Future Mrs. 27
    Devoted June 2015
    Future Mrs. 27 ·
    • Flag

Yeah I know the store owner included the cost of alterations with the dress cost and everything was paid upfront months ago.

• Shannon & Joseph
    Super July 2015
    Shannon & Joseph ·
    • Flag

Interesting... Never heard of that before. I have my final fitting this Friday at DB. I don't remember seeing any signs about tipping. Following for more info on this.

• FutureMrsCrane
    Master October 2015
    FutureMrsCrane ·
    • Flag

I'm not tipping the seamstress because she owns the entire bridal store that I bought my dress at.

• JanelleNicole
    Expert June 2015
    JanelleNicole ·
    • Flag

My seamstress owns her own business so no tipping unless she does this absolutely amazing over the top job, then maybe $20 if that.

• Mrs. T
    Devoted July 2015
    Mrs. T ·
    • Flag

Hell no. My alterations are $900. They are making more than enough off my alterations not to mention my dress purchase. No matter how much you pay, I don't think you should tip a seamstress.

• Monica SC
    Master October 2015
    Monica SC ·
    • Flag

I have never tipped a seamstress.

• HereComeTheYorks
    Master April 2016
    HereComeTheYorks ·
    • Flag

I have never tipped a seamstress and never would have thought about it if I didn't see this thread.

• BlessedandFavored
    Expert June 2015
    BlessedandFavored ·
    • Flag

No I'm not tipping mine. My alterations cost more than my dress.

• Jillian
    Master May 2015
    Jillian ·
    • Flag

Wow, I have not hear of this. I didn't tip anyone for alterations. It wasn't a whole lot, so they actually did them for me at no cost. I never saw the seamstress though. The girls at the dress shop pinned whatever and then when I came back to try it on it was with the same girls. It was a smaller local dress shop.

• Marisslee
    VIP June 2015
    Marisslee ·
    • Flag

I am not tipping. I actually don't even know the cost of my alterations lol So I'm prepared to be surprised tomorrow when I pick it up. My final dress fitting is tomorrow also! Yay

• April
    Super March 2016
    April ·
    • Flag

As a DB Alterations CSR, I have seen some people tip a seamstress. This has only occurred three times out of the hundreds of ladies who have come through our doors; two brides tipped the seamstress who did the actual sewing and another tipped the entire department. Tips are in no way asked or required, some people just feel like giving something if they are super happy with their dresses.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics