Tish
Savvy October 2020

Sticker shock on floral proposal

Tish, on November 5, 2019 at 9:01 AM Posted in Planning 1 54
Saved Save
We received our floral proposal and are having sticker shock. Anyone else experienced this? My bouquet is $325, which I don't think is outrageous but bridesmaid's are $200 each. I asked if we could cut them down to $80ish - personally I feel like I could do the bridesmaid's bouquets myself but I don't know if I want to take on that task. Corsages are $45 each - is this normal or considered a little high? Centerpieces are coming in at $350-400 each. Thoughts?!

54 Comments

• Hannah
    Dedicated October 2020
    Hannah ·
    • Flag

That seems a bit steep to me..have you checked with other florists in your area?

• Amber
    Rockstar February 2020
    Amber ·
    • Flag
    To me, real flowers are just insanely expensive in general. I never considered purchasing real flowers for the wedding. All of ours will be artificial, no one can hardly tell the difference nor will anyone care.
  • Tish
    Savvy October 2020
    Tish ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    We haven't as I just really connected with this florist and trust she gets my style - well I did meet with another but she never provided us a quote. I'm not wanting to skimp but certain things I'm not needing everything all high-end either.
  • Hannah
    Dedicated October 2020
    Hannah ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I hear ya...I am doing the flower debate as well, I can't see spending so much money on flowers that will die within a few days, so I have been looking into Sola Wood Flowers and foam flowers from Ling's Floral Moment. You can order samples from their websites too.

• Brianna
    Dedicated December 2019
    Brianna ·
    • Flag
    My bouquet is $200, corsages are $15 each. To me, your quote does seem steep. I’m just outside of Portland, OR and those prices are for the nicest flower shop in my suburb.
    Are you using flowers that are harder to obtain at the time of year you are getting married? If not, I would get a second quote.
  • MOB So Cal
    January 2019
    MOB So Cal ·
    • Flag

The cost of florals depends on so many things, including geographic location, time of year, type of flowers you want, etc. -- including what your market will bear/what a particular florist can demand. If the person you've talked with is well-established, and easily fills her booking schedule, she can set her prices high knowing someone will pay it. We live is a relatively high cost of living area, and daughter received a few proposals that were well above her expectations/budget. She continued shopping around and ended up finding a wonderful florist (probably our favor vendor and we loved them all) who was willing to work with her on price. She ended up with more and higher quality flowers and arrangements for about $1000 less than her next lowest bid. She found her florist on a vendor tab on either WW or Knot, but she specifically looked for descriptions and reviews that mentioned reasonable cost, and then focused in on those options. Shop around! (Also, you might consider less typical options, like grocery stores. We have a relative on the east coast who had GORGEOUS florals from Wegman's -- a high-end grocery chain. She claimed they were MUCH lower-cost than any florist she talked with.)

• Tish
    Savvy October 2020
    Tish ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    The corsages are just white ranunculus and white hypericum berry accent. Nothing special. I'd love the $15 price, even in the $20ish price point, but I don't know what would get us there. I'm also not wanting to offend the florist. Ahh.
  • W
    Devoted September 2020
    Willow ·
    • Flag
    The prices sound high, and I live in a pricy area!
  • A
    Master October 2019
    Angelena ·
    • Flag

That could be steep but then again I don't know your location or all your flower choices! My bouquet was $210 and the girls' were $75 or $85. Corsages were $25 each. My flowers were expensive because I wanted pricier choices!

• Denise
    Devoted May 2019
    Denise ·
    • Flag
    When I got my first floral quote, I legit thought it was in pesos.

I don’t think it’s offensive to say “hey this is my budget, what can we do with it?”. I think it is offensive to tell a vendor they’re overpriced or too expensive. There’s no shame in deciding not to work with a vendor because your budget can’t align with their prices. There’s a lot of variables with floral.
  • Tish
    Savvy October 2020
    Tish ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    The wedding is in Tennessee in October next year. The bridesmaid bouquets are to include garden roses, spray roses, lisianthus, white hypericum berries, and ranunculus in shades of pink and white. I think these are pretty much in season at the time. My bouquet will have a few pricier items (potentially peonies if we can get them in good condition and a few stems of Lily of the Valley) so Im not shocked as Lily of the Valley is $9 a stem. However, peonies and Lily of the Valley will not be used anywhere else.

What did you do regarding rentals? Each candelabra she is to provide for the head table and guest book table are $100 each to rent, so I said we would just buy them and provide those. For the low centerpieces, the compote to hold them is a $20 rental fee, so I said I would buy those to provide to her, so I can at least keep what I want and sell the others after the wedding. I've not seen any other quotes so I don't know what is realistic minus googling, which isn't always relative.
  • A
    Master October 2019
    Angelena ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Hmm yes definitely buy your own vessels! I am not sure about peonies in Tennessee but in October in PA they are not in season so I couldn't get them. I had tons of dahlias which were the pricey ones and white anemone. I would deeefinitely get some more quotes from other florists! Garden roses are typical, spray roses cheap, so are the berries. Ranunculus (I had some of they also) are very delicate so could be pricier. But I can't see the bouquets coming out to that much for what you are asking. Size depends too! Definitely shop around Smiley smile

• Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    Yikes sounds steep Smiley sad I'd check with other florists too
  • Ellie
    Devoted January 2020
    Ellie ·
    • Flag

I'm still experiencing the sticker shock myself but your pricing sounds pretty similar to the quotes I've been getting. My wedding is in Washington DC. The $350-$400 per centerpiece is actually what I consider good at this point... based on all the estimates I've gotten. I've seen as high as $680 per.

I'm getting married in the winter though and I do prefer tall centerpieces so that may be the issue.

I think it really depends on what you want. Though I'm starting to feel like maybe some florists just expect a certain amount of revenue no matter what seemingly.

• Watts
    Super March 2020
    Watts ·
    • Flag
    That's really expensive. I was going to DIY my flowers but I found a great local gal who does it out of her home. My DOC has used her several times. Attached are some of the flowers we're using. She's doing the bridal bouquet for $150, BM bouquets are $50, boutonniers are $12, and our sweetheart table centerpiece is $75. All together we're paying $540.

Sticker shock on floral proposal 1
  • J
    Super April 2020
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag

This is why I am team artificial! You could go to the craft store on Black Friday or shop online on Cyber Monday and pay $150 or less for all the flowers! We used coupons and sales and re-purposed my mom's old artificial bouquet and spent less than 70 dollars for 5 bridesmaids, 5 groomsmen, my bouquet, FH's boutonniere, and 2 additional boutonnieres and 4 corsages! Plus your bouquet will remain beautiful for forever!

Just keep an eye on the ads for the craft stores and you will get a good deal! Then you can use the money you save and put it elsewhere! Smiley smile

• Tish
    Savvy October 2020
    Tish ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I'm asking for the florist to make some adjustments to keep certain items with price points and we will see if she is able to accommodate. And I could honestly see that pricing occuring in D.C., but the wedding is in Chattanooga.

I would consider myself as someone who would choose asthetic over going the least expensive route, but I feel the pricing is just high based on what others including friends are telling me. I'm most torn because again, the florist is awesome - I trust her work and most importantly, she gets my vision but the price is NOT what I thought she would come back with. I don't even know where to begin to even consider getting other quotes as I basically said I like your work. She said she wasn't the least expensive or most expensive, FH and I met with her and have a small retainer for the date.

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

I'm in Denver. We paid $135 for my bouquet, $85 for bridesmaids bouquets, $20 per boutineer, $35 per corsage. I can't remember the exact centerpiece costs but they weren't that high.

• Futuremrsmccormack
    Super February 2020
    Futuremrsmccormack ·
    • Flag

I'm getting mostly greenery with a few flowers, and it's going to be more than 5k. I freaked out. But my wedding is in February when everything local (or even in this country) is dead, so...

It really only makes sense if those prices are for something like orchids (which are super expensive), out of country flowers, or if you're having it in the dead of winter, like I am. Even January has more flowers, lol.

Definitely shop around for quotes. I got the same price (give or take) from 5 different vendors. The one I end up choosing is doing a lot more, creatively, than the others too. But yeah. MAJOR sticker shock for flowers. Flowers and catering have been the most shocking. Everything else costs about what I thought it would (venue, photography, DJ, etc.)

• Rebecca
    Super August 2019
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag

We used fake flowers for exactly this reason. Real flowers, even in season, were way beyond what we could pay. Add in my father's allergies, and fake flowers was the way to go!

(We used Budget Bride, and I can't recommend them enough.)

Comment on this discussion