We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Expert July 2018

Skipping supper?

2ndtime1stwedding, on July 18, 2017 at 6:15 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 45
Saved Save

Gee this wedding book I got said this...

And it's put out by Davids bridal.

45 Comments

Latest activity by Emily, on July 19, 2017 at 12:11 AM
  • MTMA9917
    VIP September 2017
    MTMA9917 ·
    • Flag

That's a terrible idea... if you aren't serving me dinner at meal time, I'm leaving to eat.

• A.Magill.Since.May
    Master May 2018
    A.Magill.Since.May ·
    • Flag

That might not be terrible, but I think 7 is a little early and should be a meal. If the ceremony was at 8, I wouldn't expect a meal and a 2 hour dessert and wine reception would be fine. ETA: OP on your last post you said you were having a 6:30 outdoor ceremony with an outdoor reception. This type of wedding would have to be much later than that, and you'd pay more in lighting for a nighttime wedding than just having it inside.

• fallinthegarden
    Master October 2017
    fallinthegarden ·
    • Flag

What are you hoping to accomplish with this? No one on your last thread thought your plan was good, people won't just change their minds because of some book from David's.

• Kathy
    Master July 2010
    Kathy ·
    • Flag

Who ever wrote that has a fucking bad idea.

Feed your guests a meal during meal time. If someone chooses not to feed their guests an actual meal, then that person should be prepared to not only have upset guests, but to have those guests talk about this (negatively) for a long time to come.

Now, can we move on from this horrible idea?

• Keisha
    Master September 2018
    Keisha ·
    • Flag

Why are people opposed to feeding guests dinner?!?! I don't get the hate food gets. It doesn't even have to be gourmet just tasty and hot is all I ask for

• K.M.
    Master September 2018
    K.M. ·
    • Flag

It's still an awful and incredibly rude idea.

• MTMA9917
    VIP September 2017
    MTMA9917 ·
    • Flag

Wait... OP, you actually thought it was a good idea not to serve dinner at a wedding that starts at 6:30?

• kahlcara
    Master August 2013
    kahlcara ·
    • Flag

I think a wine-tasting reception would be great in the afternoon. Similarly, if it's late, coffee and dessert bar is fine (and delicious). But if you're having a reception during a mealtime, you need to provide an actual meal.

• Lval82
    Super December 2017
    Lval82 ·
    • Flag

@Keisha, I'm with you! Sometimes I prefer cheap and tasty to expensive and fancy. Concession stand foods are my jam!

• Tricia
    Super November 2019
    Tricia ·
    • Flag

That's just ridiculous.

• Sarah
    Super September 2017
    Sarah ·
    • Flag

Personally,

If I wanted to go wine tasting, I would go wine tasting. Not something I'd love to do at a wedding. That'd be weird. I'd skip wine tasting at 8 pm in the evening. Especially without food. If history repeats itself, I NEED food immediately after wine tasting.

If I wanted dessert and coffee, I would go to dinner. And then order dessert and coffee.

Both are terrible ideas with a 7 PM start time. Any wedding invite I got telling me to eat first so I could wine taste or have dessert, I would nope out of real fast.

Just because David's Bridal put it out, doesn't make it okay.

• muriel
    Champion June 2018
    muriel ·
    • Flag

I think you can do it as long as your reception is not over a normal meal time where you live. If you live in an area where people have dinner at 5 pm, a 7 pm ceremony followed by a wine tasting or dessert and coffee might work. Be sure to give people enough time to get ready and for transportation to the venue.

If you live where people commonly go out for dinner at 7 or 7:30, this is not going to work for you or your guests.

• Kathy
    Master July 2010
    Kathy ·
    • Flag

What this "article" fails to mention is that, at a wine tasting, you also have FOOD.

• muriel
    Champion June 2018
    muriel ·
    • Flag

A wine tasting doesn't require any food beyond palate cleansers- bland crackers or bread.

• Kathy
    Master July 2010
    Kathy ·
    • Flag

Well, Muriel, perhaps thats how you taste wine where you live.

As a wine professional, we provide food. Not a full meal for wine tasting, but definitely more than palate cleansers.

Here is a recent tasting.

Expert July 2018
    2ndtime1stwedding ·
    • Flag

I didn't write it, I came across it. I just posted it. They don't mention food in that tiny segment, but the whole page was about budgets.

My wedding personally will have mostly older people. Those that eat early. As we do too.

Me personally-I haven't decided what I am doing as I have nearly 6 mo left to think about it. I've got 3 venues that are not in demand and I recently found out that summer weddings here are least popular so many places offer discounts and lots of availability. Yay for me!

• Kathy
    Master July 2010
    Kathy ·
    • Flag

Another photo from our recent wine tasting.

• MTMA9917
    VIP September 2017
    MTMA9917 ·
    • Flag

You don't have six months to think about it. Your wedding is 12 months away. You need to book your caterers like soon! Most places that cater weddings will already be booking up for 2018.

• Amanda
    Super September 2017
    Amanda ·
    • Flag

@Kathy I wine taste exactly how you do! If I am going to a wine tasting then I have my bag stocked with cheeses, meats, crackers, fruit, etc. Or we purchase directly from the winery.

Alcohol of any kind without food is a disaster waiting to happen.

Just feed your guests a meal, it's really not a hard concept.

• BoudreauToBe
    Master July 2018
    BoudreauToBe ·
    • Flag

6 months is not a lot of time. I must have missed your last post because I seriously thought you were being sarcastic in pointing out the etiquette error on David's Bridal's part.

SERVE A MEAL! People come over my house at 2pm and I still have a full meal prepared. Most nights I don't get home from work until 7:00, so dinner is around 8:00. How would you feel being invited somewhere around dinner time and not getting dinner?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics