We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Nicole
Super August 2020

Shopping for a new wedding dress

Nicole, on August 9, 2020 at 9:38 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 13
Saved Save

For those of you who regretted your first wedding dress and was able to buy a new one, how did you sell your dress? I really don't like my dress.. I know it's super common to have dress regret, but I 100% do not like it and I've tried it on multiple times and I still don't like it because I keep thinking about this other dress that I knew was the one in the beginning, but didn't purchase it because it was slightly over my budget. I already paid for alterations at the bridal salon I got it at, and I know they won't exchange it for another dress. I heard of the websites you can sell your dress on, but it seems like the dresses don't seem to sell right away and I would only consider buying my dream dress if I was able to sell my dress right away. Any suggestions?

13 Comments

Latest activity by Julie, on September 3, 2020 at 5:18 PM
  • D
    Savvy June 2021
    Dani ·
    • Flag
    I am currently going through the exact same issue. I was told by my new bridal shop to try a consignment shop that they do business with frequently. then at least you’re getting something out of it. do you have pics of the dress you hate and the one you love? how different are they
  • Nicole
    Super August 2020
    Nicole ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

This was when I first tried it on:
    Shopping for a new wedding dress 1
    This is my current dress:Shopping for a new wedding dress 2
    I’m wearing a skirt underneath because I wanted it to look fuller, but I don’t think I’ll wear it anymore because it looks odd to me. I’m petite, but the dress just looks weird on me and just doesn’t look flattering imo.
    This is the dress I love:Shopping for a new wedding dress 3

• Rebelle Fleur
    VIP January 2021
    Rebelle Fleur ·
    • Flag
    Stillwhite, Nearlynewlywed, Preownedweddingdress, FacebookMarketPlace,
  • Rebelle Fleur
    VIP January 2021
    Rebelle Fleur ·
    • Flag
    Is it too late to exchange the dresses front then store you originally bought it from.
  • D
    Savvy June 2021
    Dani ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Is the one you love Martina Liana 1040? Sorry i’m obsessed with martina liana and when I had my dress regrets I was constantly looking at them lmao. honestly the best advice I can give you is put your happiness first. I paid $3000 for each of my dresses and the money was definitely on my mind, but I didn’t wanna have regrets of not liking how I looked on my wedding day or looking back and knowing I made the wrong choice. I honestly don’t regret at all that I spent so much (but obviously that’s my personal preference) bc I felt AMAZING in my new dress and in my old dress I just felt okay. I looked at your profile and i’m also an RN!!! so there will always be opportunities to pick up some shifts for some extra cash ☺️
  • D
    Savvy June 2021
    Dani ·
    • Flag
    Also, you can always look on the websites that other posters have mentioned to buy your new dress, I saw a lot of that style on poshmark as well
  • Nicole
    Super August 2020
    Nicole ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Yes it is! But now that we're already married, our wedding celebration next year is still important to us, but we're trying to prioritize saving for a house too. It would just be a lot of money to go to waste if I did buy another dress.. I'm a nurse manager, so unfortunately I'm salary and can't really have a PRN job due to my responsibilities. If I could sell my current dress, I would totally spend that extra money to get my dream dress.

• Margaret
    Rockstar October 2020
    Margaret Online ·
    • Flag

You can try to sell it on preownedweddingdresses or ebay but know that you won't get nearly what you paid and put into it. Just remember when you go to sell it be sure to include the NEW exact measurements as it could be harder to sell

• T
    Devoted May 2021
    Trinity ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Is the first one you are trying to sell? What size is it?

• Nicole
    Super August 2020
    Nicole ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes, it’s a size 12 but when I tried it on without any alterations done, it was really big on me. I normally wear a size small or 3/4 in jeans. I’m 5’2, but I had it hemmed while wearing 3.75 inch heels
  • MOB So Cal
    January 2019
    MOB So Cal Online ·
    • Flag

Based on many posts from brides who have tried to sell their unworn gowns, I think you need to be realistic about how much you'll get for the dress (B's generally report well below 50%, frequently as little as 15-20% of the original cost), especially because it has already been altered, and how long it will likely take to sell it. Honestly, I had to look at the photos several times to be clear you had posted pictures of two different dresses -- they look VERY similar -- same shape, same straps. There are some minor differences in the neckline and the fabric on the upper skirt, but if I were a guest, I'd never notice the differences. I'm not sure why you find the first unflattering, but maybe there are some additional minor changes that your alterations person can make. I think it looks great! Only you and H can determine whether your financial priorities support a new dress vs. putting the $ toward something like your first home. Good luck!

• Noelle
    Expert November 2019
    Noelle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I agree with all of this. I went through three dresses. Was able to sell the first on Poshmark, after the wedding, for far less than I paid. They second is still in my closet.

The two dresses look very similar. I really can’t tell them apart. Make sure it’s really worth the money and hassle before you order another dress. Good luck!!
  • Julie
    Beginner May 2021
    Julie ·
    • Flag

Hi Nicole, I just came across your post as I was looking through the wedding dress photos because your dream dress is very very similar to the dress I love but mine's an Allure dress. If you haven't yet decided I just saw a Martina Liana 1040 dress on preownedweddingdresses.com, size 12 for $2,000.00. Just thought it might be worth mentioning to you.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles