Jasmin
Dedicated July 2020

Shoes for a Catholic wedding??

Jasmin, on September 23, 2019 at 4:26 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 6
Saved

Hey everyone,

I am getting married in a Catholic church with the reception at the hall run by the church. I already know I'm going to get flats for the reception but I have no idea what to wear for the ceremony. Our Deacon has already said they follow a very formal dress code (i.e. no shoulders or tattoos should show, etc.) so I'm nervous about heels but I don't want boring flats for the ceremony. Has anyone run into this or have advice on what to wear? My dress is a long very plain sleeveless dress made of satin (it has pockets!!) if that helps at all!

6 Comments

Latest activity by Melle, on September 24, 2019 at 12:25 PM
  • K
    Expert October 2020
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    I too am getting married in a Catholic Church but they did not tell me I had to wear a certain shoe type. I would think if you don’t want heels than find a nice comfy flat that is not casual but not over the top. I think as long as they look nice the church should not care. If you still question it, save a few pictures of what you like and talk to your Devon again. He will be able to give you a yes or no.

• Anna
    Super April 2020
    Anna ·
    • Flag

I'm also having a catholic wedding and nothing about shoes was mentioned. They gave me a sheet of paper about how my dress should be, but i am having my hair down so you cant see that its strapless. My friend who got married in the same parish said they didn't tell her anything. I don't think their going to ask you to look at your shoes. That's just weird lol.

• Cher Horowitz
    Master December 2019
    Cher Horowitz ·
    • Flag

Some simple neutral colored pumps should be fine if you're okay with wearing heels for a bit!

• Jasmin
    Dedicated July 2020
    Jasmin ·
    • Flag
    Thanks everyone! We are the first of our families to get married in the church so not a clue what to expect on certain things! I already had my dress “approved” but may just do a small kitten pump to not push too many boundaries!
  • E
    Devoted October 2021
    Erin ·
    • Flag
    I'm getting married in the Cathedral where we live so they have a lot of strict guidelines but for shoes I'm wearing customer white Converse. I'm assuming either they won't care or my dress will just cover them well enough they won't be seen during the ceremony
  • Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I think you'd be ok to do heels Smiley smile they likely won't even see your shoes

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics