Skip to main content
lvnlife
Expert December 2016

Second Dress For Reception

lvnlife, on March 19, 2016 at 12:39 AM

Posted in Wedding Attire 47

Hello ladies, I'm considering doing a second dress for my reception and was wondering if anyone else was as well? If so, where did you get your dress?

Hello ladies,

I'm considering doing a second dress for my reception and was wondering if anyone else was as well? If so, where did you get your dress?

47 Comments

• Celia Milton
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

Another money suck. and another reason that budgets get out of control so fast. Unless it's a cultural thing like a sari or a red dress for a Chinese wedding.

I don't know; the occasions on which I get to wear a fabulous gown are....none. Except this. I'd keep it on and wear it to the office the next day.

• Gettingmarriedin2016
    Super August 2016
    Gettingmarriedin2016 ·
    • Flag

I was considering wearing two dresses but my dress cost $1500 (excluding alterations). I couldn't afford to buy another one. If you really want to wear two dresses, buy an inexpensive ball gown from preownedweddingdreses.com or David's Bridal, and purchase or rent a reception dress. If I were you I would spend more money on the reception dress.

• JRo
    Super October 2016
    JRo ·
    • Flag

I'm planning on wearing my dress for the ceremony and reception. I love it too much to wear it for only an hour! I am planning on changing for the after party. Something shorter and fun. Maybe this?

• BlueHenBride
    Master March 2017
    BlueHenBride ·
    • Flag

I love my dress so much I just want to wear it the whole time!

• Brooklynbride
    VIP October 2015
    Brooklynbride ·
    • Flag

@ijoke we found it at Kohls of all places (the jacket). The slim tux pants were from Zara. It was a bold choice. When we were at Kohls and my husband had just finished trying it on and we were deciding, two older ladies walked by and said it looked like a pimps jacket. Ha! Oh well.....to each their own.

• K
    Beginner August 2016
    Kenisha ·
    • Flag

Originally I planned to wear 2 dresses but I fell in love with my wedding dress when I purchased it and changed my mind. I want everyone to relish it! Also The dress costs so much I think its a waste to wear it just for 1 hour

• br963
    Expert September 2016
    br963 ·
    • Flag

I'm wearing separates. A tulle skirt with silk tank top and lace overlay for the ceremony. Just the skirt and silk tank top for dinner. Then I have a bustier to wear for dancing.

All of those pieces together were less than some of the dresses I considered.

• SAD
    VIP March 2016
    SAD ·
    • Flag

I spent way more on my wedding dress than I have on half of my closet combined, I was definitely going to wear it all night. It also saved me the stress of having to change dresses halfway through the day, which allowed more time for pictures and socializing. If you have the budget for it and are set on a second dress, go for it! Just make sure you account for the time it will take to change.

• lvnlife
    Expert December 2016
    lvnlife ·
    • Flag

@SAD, yes, I have built the change time into our reception itinerary. No worries there Smiley smile

• lvnlife
    Expert December 2016
    lvnlife ·
    • Flag

Here's one dress that I am considering. The bottoms will be white vs blue

• lvnlife
    Expert December 2016
    lvnlife ·
    • Flag

Option 2

• SaraLep
    Master September 2015
    SaraLep ·
    • Flag

I wore just my one wedding dress. I also changed into sweats for my after party. It's an extremely long day and I could not imagine Putting regular clothes on after being in my wedding dress for al lay 12 hours.

• lvnlife
    Expert December 2016
    lvnlife ·
    • Flag

Option 3...ok, I'm done for now Smiley winking

• Mrs.jewell
    Devoted September 2018
    Mrs.jewell ·
    • Flag

I decided on two dresses. I'm wearing a ballgown for my ceremony, pictures and the first part of the reception (first dance, father/daughter dance, cake cutting). Then I will change to my reception dress that is a tea length dress. All together it was the same price for two dresses and my veil that I wanted to originally pay for just one dress. I got them both at the same bridal salon. I say it's your wedding do what you want, who cares what anyone else thinks. Here's a picture of the reception dress.

• Kelly
    Super July 2016
    Kelly ·
    • Flag

I'll be wearing mine through the breakfast reception then linen pants and bikini for the rest of the day. But our wedding is at the beach and REALLY informal.

• Carmen (Not Sandiego)
    Super June 2016
    Carmen (Not Sandiego) ·
    • Flag

I am wearing a second dress during the reception because we are doing a traditional Igbo ceremony after the first ceremony. @brooklynbride all of your looks were gorgeous!

• N
    Expert October 2018
    Nicorette ·
    • Flag

I would just get a dress with a detached skirt

• Kristy
    Master November 2015
    Kristy ·
    • Flag

Oh my gosh, I didn't want to take my beautiful gown off for ANYTHING! Ceremonies are quite short.... seems like a lot of hassle, money to buy one dress that you will hardly be wearing! I feel like i hardly got to wear mine as it is!

With that being said... @Futurejewell that is a really cute second dress! lol

• Brooklynbride
    VIP October 2015
    Brooklynbride ·
    • Flag

@cathy I loved my second dress. It was as close to my dream dress (on right in photo) as I could find without the hefty price tag. It's up for sale and needs a new forever home...wink wink. Edited to add it took me less than 3 minutes to change as each dress slipped right on and zipped up and my bridal suite was right off of the reception area. I would not have changed if it would have been more time consuming.

• Mrs.jewell
    Devoted September 2018
    Mrs.jewell ·
    • Flag

@Kristy thanks so much I love it. It has sequins that have a polka dot affect which I love! My FH even loved it, he told me I had to buy it because he could tell I loved it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.
WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics