lvnlife
Expert December 2016

Second Dress For Reception

lvnlife, on March 19, 2016 at 12:39 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 47
Saved

Hello ladies,

I'm considering doing a second dress for my reception and was wondering if anyone else was as well? If so, where did you get your dress?

47 Comments

Latest activity by Mrs. TacoCat, on March 21, 2016 at 5:32 PM
  • Kelsey
    VIP December 2016
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag

I thought about this when i very first got engaged. I dont have my dress yet, but I already know I wont want to change!

a lot of people cant imagine spending so much money on a dress just to wear it for only 30 minutes.

they do make dresses with detachable skirts, so you get a ballgown for the ceremony but a cocktail dress for the reception. im thinking about exploring that option

• ChocolatierKT
    VIP September 2016
    ChocolatierKT ·
    • Flag

I spent 800 on my dress. I'm wearing it all day.....and possibly the next day.....and out to dinner the next weekend.....

I like that detachable skirt idea if you want to have 2

• Brooklynbride
    VIP October 2015
    Brooklynbride ·
    • Flag

I wore a second, and third dress. Certainly not the norm, and from what I've heard, not a popular option among other brides. I got my second dress at David's Bridal and my third was from Rent the Runway.

• ChocolatierKT
    VIP September 2016
    ChocolatierKT ·
    • Flag

How much did you spend altogether on all 3, if you don't mind me asking

• FutureMrsBrittanyR
    Expert June 2016
    FutureMrsBrittanyR ·
    • Flag

We are having an after party. I will be changing into this from Loft. Got it on sale for $45. But I will be wearing my wedding dress for the ceremony and reception.

• Brooklynbride
    VIP October 2015
    Brooklynbride ·
    • Flag

For all 3, I spent $4,800. Mind you it was in the budget and not a splurge. If it wasn't, I would have stuck with just the one and been absolutely a-ok.

• Formal Pajamas
    Master September 2017
    Formal Pajamas ·
    • Flag

I have never really considered two dresses, but I am keeping in mind that I want one formal enough to get married in but fun enough for the party. Afterwards, or the following day, I'll probably wear a cute white dress, but not spend another few hundred on a formal one.

I understand wanting multiple dresses, I just don't want it for myself.

• Elizabeth
    Master December 2016
    Elizabeth ·
    • Flag

I had dress regret about my original dress so I bought a new one. I'll be wearing the new one to the ceremony, but I started to fall back in love with my original one. I may end up wearing that one to the reception.

• lvnlife
    Expert December 2016
    lvnlife ·
    • Flag

@BrooklynBride....love them!! I don't think that is a bad price at all for 3 dresses. Some brides spend that much on 1.

I want to be in a second one for the after party/dancing so I'll be changing after the toast/toss/etc.

• twostep127
    Super June 2016
    twostep127 ·
    • Flag

I'm changing for me and my dad's dance (it's choreographed and would be impossible in my gown) and also for our afterparty (will probably put my gown back on between the two.) This is mine, it's easy to move in but still classy and bridal...currently on sale for $100!

http://www.bhldn.com/shop-sale/clea-dress/productoptionids/fbcaeb8b-b90b-4e9a-9313-32da085940dd

• tatiana
    Expert July 2016
    tatiana ·
    • Flag

I am wearing 2. And in my culture it is the norm to wear like 3. But altogether the two cost over 10k

• MrsPettit
    Super May 2016
    MrsPettit ·
    • Flag

I've have a couple friends who are competitive ballroom dancers, and they did this because they fell in love with ballgown dresses and couldn't possibly dance in them. That being said, their original dresses were actually wedding dresses and their second dresses were floor length white dresses that were fractions of the cost.

• BicycleBuiltForTwo
    Master September 2016
    BicycleBuiltForTwo ·
    • Flag

I am wearing my dress all day. I have modified mine quite a bit (dyed it, and added a beaded belt), so it is very unique. I might change for the after party, but only if I find something I love and the price is right.

• M
    Devoted June 2016
    Mrs1.732 ·
    • Flag

My sil changed halfway through the reception into her mom's dress... it was an emotional surprise for everyone

• Bride2b
    VIP September 2016
    Bride2b ·
    • Flag

I'm just wearing one.

• Tanya
    Devoted October 2016
    Tanya ·
    • Flag

I'm wearing a second dress simply because I can't move in the ceremony dress. I plan to dance all night so I'm changing. I haven't found the second dress yet but it won't be nearly as expensive as the first.

• lvnlife
    Expert December 2016
    lvnlife ·
    • Flag

@twostep127, very classy and inexpensive. Love it!

• Brooklynbride
    VIP October 2015
    Brooklynbride ·
    • Flag

My hubby also changed too, but just once. (He's the fashionista in our family). I also thought the price wasn't bad for the three. My rent the runway dress was $80 (but I had to return it the next day). My second David's Bridal dress was $1500, and the one I wore for the ceremony was $3200. So true, less than many brides spend on one.

• iJokeButiDefinitelyDontPlay
    Dedicated August 2016
    iJokeButiDefinitelyDontPlay ·
    • Flag

@brooklynbride love his second look! Where'd he get the tux from?

• MissMtoMrsC
    VIP November 2016
    MissMtoMrsC ·
    • Flag

Never want to take my dress off. Especially when I think of the price tag... I will be keeping my dress on all day

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics