M
Beginner November 2020

Save the Dates and Wedding Invites

Melissa, on December 5, 2019 at 3:01 PM Posted in Planning 0 15
Saved Save
When is the right time to send out our Save the Dates? The wedding is in November 2020. I have yet setup our engagement photos.
Also, how far along do you send out the invites?

15 Comments

• Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag

Save the dates should go out 6-8 months before the wedding and invitations should go out 6-8 weeks before.

• M
    Beginner November 2020
    Melissa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Really? Alright, so I am not behind? Lol. I was so..worried as I had many people tell me I should of sent them out already. I haven’t even taken my engagement photos. Thank youSmiley smile.
  • Cristina
    Devoted October 2020
    Cristina ·
    • Flag

It just depends on if family is local or out of state. We are getting married October 2020 and I just received our STD and plan to mail them either this month or early January. Most our family is local but we do have some that are out of state which is why I want to send them sooner than later. I believe normally save the dates should be sent 8 months in advance and invitations 3-4 months in advance.

• M
    Beginner November 2020
    Melissa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Ohh..great, that makes me feel a little bit better! I haven’t even decided on what location to do the engagement photos. I have pretty much everything booked.
  • Cristina
    Devoted October 2020
    Cristina ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Location was the really hard part for us too. I just googled engagement photo locations in my area and got a list. I would say to do that and then look up photos of the location and decide. If you have your photographer you can ask them for recommendations as well. Good luck!

• M
    Beginner November 2020
    Melissa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Great idea, thank you! Idk..if it should be indoor or outdoor, but will see! Thanks againSmiley smile
  • Christine
    Expert September 2020
    Christine ·
    • Flag

If it's a local wedding where guests won't have to travel, save the dates can go out 6-8 months in advance. If you have a lot of guests who will be traveling for the wedding, I'd aim for 8-10 months in advance. For invitations, I'd aim for sending them 10 weeks in advance, but it can depend on when your RSVP deadline is (which will be based on when your vendors need final headcounts).

• J
    Beginner November 2020
    Jamieka ·
    • Flag
    We are the 1st week of November 2020. Just
    Got our save the dates this week and I will send them out Feb 1st as we have a lot of out of town guests. I plan to do invitations Mid July with deadline of September 30. Our numbers have to be finalized 30 days before ceremony.
  • M
    Beginner November 2020
    Melissa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes, this is true! I’m just so..confused on location for our engagement photos. Thanks for the advice!
  • M
    Beginner November 2020
    Melissa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Awww..congratulations! I love the month of November. I’m so..happy I asked, because I was so..worried! Now just to find a location for engagement photos lol. That seems to be an issue now. Thank you so..much for the adviceSmiley smile
  • J
    Beginner November 2020
    Jamieka ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! Where are you located? Nature always gives the best backdrop. But lately I have found historical places in my city appeal to me even more. Old steeple churches and stuff like that.
  • M
    Beginner November 2020
    Melissa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Ohh..those are some great ideas! I find this site to be so helpful. I am from Queens, NY! What about you?
  • Christine
    Expert September 2020
    Christine ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

You said you're in Queens? How about one of these locations?

https://www.leimageinc.com/ny-engagement-photo-locations/

http://zorzstudios.com/resources-advice/nyc-wedding-photo-permits-for-most-popular-photoshoot-locations/ (for info on which places would require permits)

• J
    Beginner November 2020
    Jamieka ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I am in Las Vegas
  • M
    Beginner November 2020
    Melissa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Ohh..nice! These are actually some great locations and ideas! Thank you so..muchSmiley smile

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics