Skip to main content
Erin
Savvy June 2022

Reception Dancing Oldies

Erin, on February 11, 2022 at 9:52 PM Posted in Wedding Reception 3 22
Saved
Please be honest- would you dance to sort of upbeat oldies at a wedding (like Motown, Stevie Wonder, that kinda thing)? We kind of want to have jazz classics as dinner music with more Motown after dinner, maybe with the occasional jazz number thrown in.

Neither one of us are big dancers. We’re both pretty introverted and we’re just not the type to be partying hard and dancing, lol. I think my fiancé is afraid our guests will be bored if we don’t have more typical pop music. Thoughts??

22 Comments

Latest activity by Kelly, on March 17, 2022 at 1:55 PM
  • CountryBride
    VIP April 2022
    CountryBride ·
    • Flag
    I personally wouldn’t but it’s a know your guest thing
  • Jasmine S.
    Rockstar May 2022
    Jasmine S. ·
    • Flag
    I would! However I also prefer a variety of songs. You can have some oldies for the parents and some more recent stuff for your friends.
  • L
    Devoted October 2022
    Lav ·
    • Flag
    Definitely!!! I am a big fan of oldies and will have a lot/mostly in my wedding day, go for it and don’t hesitate!
  • Lindsay
    Savvy October 2022
    Lindsay ·
    • Flag
    Have you thought about asking your guests to send in a song request with your rsvp card??
    My fiancé and I do not share the same taste in music and I am sure there are many guests that won’t either. But I figured a song request is a great way to let each person pick at least one song that they enjoy! That way it’s a good mix of songs and will make everyone more likely to enjoy the songs.. if they at least have a little say in it
  • Erin
    Savvy June 2022
    Erin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That’s a good idea! We’re planning on doing online RSVPs, I’ll look into how that would work!!
  • Lunajay
    Super December 2022
    Lunajay ·
    • Flag

Yea, that's the type of music FH and I grew-up on.

• Lindsay
    Savvy October 2022
    Lindsay ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I’m so glad!!
    If you have a wedding website (I used wedding wire to create mine) you can add a section to add their song request and when they respond it will send you an email. ❤️
    And there is no limit to how many they can send in.. which is really nice since not everyone might respond Reception Dancing Oldies 1

• Candace
    Super March 2022
    Candace ·
    • Flag
    I would definitely dance to Stevie Wonder! If you tell your DJ that you like this type of music they can throw in a trendy song here and there to keep it relevant.
  • Cece
    Rockstar November 2022
    Cece ·
    • Flag
    I think this is definitely a “know your crowd” sorta thing. I know us and our friends would not dance to that type of music. But some of our older family members might. If you have a wide age range of guests, I would probably play a mixture of oldies and more modern songs.
  • Nichole
    Expert September 2022
    Nichole ·
    • Flag
    Absolutely! Also letting your guests request songs is nice. I am having our dj do a mix of songs I want and letting guests request songs and he will fill in inbetween
  • Reena
    Expert February 2021
    Reena ·
    • Flag
    I would. Like others suggested I would mix them in with modern music.
  • Pat
    Expert May 2023
    Pat ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    THIS!! What an awesome idea!
  • Pat
    Expert May 2023
    Pat ·
    • Flag
    Since this is the music my FH, our guests and myself grew up with, we would definitely pack your dancefloor! tenor.gif

• Lindsay
    Savvy October 2022
    Lindsay ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you!! I’m excited to see what everyone comes up with!! ❤️
  • Ashley
    Dedicated May 2022
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    Fellow introvert here! I love when weddings play oldies, it's more of what I tend to get up to dance to. But I do agree with PP, it's a know your crowd sort of thing. The song request idea sounds fun!
  • Lynne
    Dedicated August 2022
    Lynne ·
    • Flag
    We are going to have a wide variety of songs to dance too. Different eras and different genres.
  • Kristen
    Expert October 2021
    Kristen ·
    • Flag

You can't go wrong with "Shout!" by the Isley Brothers. Everyone at our wedding, young and old, came out on the dance floor for that one!

• devotedlydavis
    Expert March 2022
    devotedlydavis ·
    • Flag

I would if it was golden oldies - Shout!, Mustang Sally, etc. songs that make you want to get up and dance.

• Laura
    Rockstar September 2022
    Laura ·
    • Flag

I would totally get up and shake a tail feather at that type of music! Go with what you want and know that some people may not dance, but you'll still enjoy the time and those that don't dance can converse with others.

• Gracey
    Savvy September 2022
    Gracey ·
    • Flag

My fiance and I love 80's music so that's what most of the dancing will be to other than some early 2000's songs that were bopping. I am the dancer, he is not.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics