C
Savvy September 2021

Price of a wedding in ca

C, on January 16, 2020 at 11:52 AM Posted in California Planning 0 8
Saved Save
CA brides, have you been surprised by how much weddings cost? FH and I are getting married on the central coast. We are having 100 guests. We are at $32,000 for venue (includes tables, chairs, utensils, glassware, etc.), day of coordinator, catering, and alcohol (beer and wine only). We still have to get flowers, decorations, hair and makeup, DJ, and photographer. Luckily I found a wedding dress for under $1,000 but it will likely need alterations as the bust will be a size or two too big. Has anyone else had this issue?? We calculated out prices and all our choices would be around this price - we only found 3 venues in this price range - couldn’t find any cheaper when you add in all the necessary rentals (chairs, etc.). Maybe that’s typical for CA?

8 Comments

• Kelly
    Champion October 2018
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    Unfortunately that is normal. We got married in Carmel and just our venue fee not including food or alcohol was $20k.
  • Sexypoodle
    VIP October 2020
    Sexypoodle ·
    • Flag
    Pretty normal in Cali.
  • MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

We paid 60k for our wedding in Denver, so more formal weddings across the country now cost 40-70k typically. I was in two weddings in CA, one spent 20k and one spent 3k but both were small weddings that skipped a lot of things.

• MOB So Cal
    January 2019
    MOB So Cal ·
    • Flag

Yes, this was EXACTLY our experience. Daughter's wedding was in So Cal (Orange County) and we visited 10 venues and she did a DETAILED spreadsheet controlling for all costs (even though different venues charged for things in different ways), and 9 of the 10 were within a $1500 range when she accounted for everything in the projected totals. She decided "wedding price fixing" was absolutely a REAL thing (the one venue outside of the "range" would have been at least $2500 more than the next highest estimate). All the "what does an average wedding cost in So Cal" calculators said ~$32,000. When we started, we thought that was CRAZY.... With VERY carefully planning and always comparison shopping, for 100 guests in the off-season, the cost was????? $32,000.... Yep. You're not crazy.... Good luck! Smiley heart

• Lauren
    VIP September 2019
    Lauren ·
    • Flag
    Totally normal. I posted my full breakdown in my BAM. We were just under 60k for 250 people not including alcohol (gift from parents), transportation (gift from husband), and rehearsal dinner (gift from my parents).
  • Theadra
    Dedicated June 2020
    Theadra ·
    • Flag
    Our venue is in SoCal (Newport Beach) and it’s around 15k. Don’t get me wrong it’s still expensive , I just think it depends on guest list and what you want at your wedding too. But of course it’s Cali.
  • Ocbride2019
    Dedicated June 2019
    Ocbride2019 ·
    • Flag
    Yup...my OC wedding ended up about $25,000 for just under 100 people using mostly budget vendors. There were definitely places I probably could have cut the costs more, but it came down to things like not wanting to compromise on food quality and wanting a specific venue. It’s expensive here for sure!
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag
    Sad, but normal. We saved over 50% on site fees by having an off-season wedding on a weekday (but we only had 15 and checked that a weekday wasn’t an issue.

A weekday night (Thur or early Sunday) or a brunch wedding can save you a lot if you’re determined to have 100+ guests. Is that an idea to consider?

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics