You're on our mind during COVID-19. See our related wedding FAQs.

N
Just Said Yes May 2021

Possibly planning an early afternoon reception - helpp!!

Neish, on January 9, 2020 at 5:30 PM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 11
Saved Save

Possibly planning an early afternoon reception on a Saturday- helpp!! We are looking at a venue that we love but to save money we would have to do an early afternoon reception - cocktail hour at 12 pm followed by full reception at 1 pm. We are planning to have our ceremony at our home church which is about 20-25 minutes away (driving) from our venue ...but I'm not sure of timeline. Does that mean we should have a 10 am ceremony? Is that too early? I can't make sense of this and would appreciate help/thoughts. Thanks!

11 Comments

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

How long of a ceremony are you planning on? Ours was only 20 minutes.

• Kathryn
    Rockstar August 2020
    Kathryn ·
    • Flag
    We're having our ceremony at 11:30, so I think it depends on how early you want the ceremony to be. And how long your ceremony is.
  • Caitlin
    Dedicated September 2021
    Caitlin ·
    • Flag
    BRUNCH BRUNCH BRUNCH. Yessss!
  • Vicky
    Super January 2020
    Vicky ·
    • Flag

Gaps are rude, so you should have your ceremony at 11 or 11:30 and roll straight into cocktail hour, taking into consideration any travel time between ceremony and reception venues.

• N
    Just Said Yes May 2021
    Neish ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

We're hoping to have a ceremony that isn't longer than 45 minutes max.

• N
    Just Said Yes May 2021
    Neish ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Hmm gotcha. I agree about the gaps thing. I'm thinking of asking my venue to push back the cocktail hour to 12:30 pm and shorten the actual reception with starting at 1:30 pm (meaning a 3.5 hour reception as opposed to 4 hours)...is that enough time for an actual reception?

• N
    Just Said Yes May 2021
    Neish ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Woohoo! I'm seeing that brunch receptions are actually a thing!

• N
    Just Said Yes May 2021
    Neish ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Yeah, I don't think I want my ceremony to earlier than 11 am if I can help it. I hope to discuss further with my venue.

• Caitlin
    Dedicated September 2021
    Caitlin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes. One of the most memorable weddings I have been to had a brunch reception and it was DELICIOUS. Fluffy pancakes, waffles, bacon, eggs, sausage, whole fruit / fruit salad, breakfast casseroles, muffins/bagels, cereals, granola and a toppings bar! It was amazing.
  • M
    Devoted September 2019
    Meaghan ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes, a brunch reception sounds so good to me! I would love that as a guest!
  • Catherine
    VIP November 2019
    Catherine ·
    • Flag

I would say have your ceremony no more than an hour before cocktail hour. if you plan on having a shorter ceremony then you won't need much time between. our ceremony started at 3 (started a few late) and we were in cocktail hour by 3:30

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics