jlb1230, on November 15, 2018 at 12:37 PM Posted in Parties and Events 0 52
Saved Save

Who all gets invited to this?! Help! lol

52 Comments

• Kelly
    Champion October 2018
    Kelly Online ·
    • Flag
    I have personally never heard of or attended something like that. We didn’t receive physical gifts at the wedding only cash/checks in cards.
  • Kristen
    VIP August 2018
    Kristen ·
    • Flag

Do you mean the morning after the wedding? I would assume just you and your husband would open the gifts together.

• jlb1230
    Beginner June 2019
    jlb1230 ·
    • Flag

It might be more of a Midwestern thing... But yes, gift opening with family and friends is a thing.

• Kenisha
    Champion June 2019
    Kenisha ·
    • Flag
    I thought 💭 it was just you and your husband.
  • jlb1230
    Beginner June 2019
    jlb1230 ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

It's just a midwestern thing apparently. Smiley smile

• Kelly
    Champion October 2018
    Kelly Online ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Then I would ask your family and friends who have done this who they invited.
  • Emilie
    Super April 2019
    Emilie ·
    • Flag
    FH's cousin did this last year and invited immediate family. We were invited since we were part of the wedding as well but since we were also on vacation we decided to take a day for ourselves. But it was the day after the wedding and they did a bbq for everyone.
  • Kenisha
    Champion June 2019
    Kenisha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Ohhh okay! How about doing a brunch the next day and opening your gifts with family and friends?
  • jlb1230
    Beginner June 2019
    jlb1230 ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Awesome! Thank you Emilie! That's what I thought but I just wanted to hear who other people have invited!

• jlb1230
    Beginner June 2019
    jlb1230 ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Yes, that is what I was thinking! I was seeing if the Bridal party should come or should it just be family?

• Jenna
    Super October 2019
    Jenna ·
    • Flag

We are probably going to have a brunch the next morning for out of town guests but I don't think we'll open gifts there. We'll probably open them once we get back to my parents' house, before we make the 6 hour drive home. I don't think we'll have anyone there besides my parents unless someone asks to come. I've heard that most people give cards at weddings these days and have actual gifts shipped to you in most cases.

• Alisha
    Super October 2018
    Alisha ·
    • Flag
    Maybe it’s just a midwestern/regional thing? At least where I’m from, the parents of the couple visit the next day while the couple opens the gifts they received at the wedding. Sometimes people do a brunch thing, we ate leftover food from the reception. I think sometimes people invite out of town family, but we just had our parents and my youngest brother.
  • C
    VIP January 2019
    Cassidy ·
    • Flag
    I have never heard of this! I plan on opening anything when we get home from the reception because we’re leaving the next morning for our mini moon and maybe we’ll get cash to bring or something useful for the trip 😊
    I would feel awkaward for people to come over just to watch us open gifts.
  • FutureMrsKC
    Master January 2019
    FutureMrsKC ·
    • Flag

Some of my family members have done this. We plan to take the Sunday to relax. One of my bridesmaids will be staying with us so we will have them in our house, too. We will likely pick up the rest of the decor from our venue, take it home and unload it, then maybe go out to lunch or have pizzas at our house with our family thats around. It will be a chill day. We will probably open our cards and gifts as well at our house and then get ready to leave for our honeymoon the following morning. I don't want to make it a big ordeal but in my hometown you often times open gifts and cards with your parents.

• M
    Devoted June 2019
    Mrs.V2Be ·
    • Flag

My cousin did this. I did not attend, but my mom did and she said it was a major drag. IMO I think if you want to do a day after brunch, fine. Having all these people come just to watch you open gifts is a little extra. Plus what happens if you HATE something and that person is sitting front row? My face shows too much and my mouth opens before I can think to close it sometimes. Not the environment for me haha

• Kenisha
    Champion June 2019
    Kenisha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I’d think the bridal party would be included too!
  • Fiona
    Expert October 2018
    Fiona ·
    • Flag
    I live in Ohio and I’m not sure how it is with everyone else but we had my parents and my husbands parents there. We all stayed in the same hotel and just went to their room to open everything. My family is very close and very open financially (my dad is an accountant). I think it’s just personal preference. There is never any right or wrong. It’s your wedding do what makes sense to you.
  • Jen
    VIP July 2018
    Jen ·
    • Flag

I didn't want to plan another event and didn't love the idea of opening gifts in front of others so my husband and I just did this ourselves - which ended up being wonderful! I also had no interest in my parents or my MIL knowing what we received (specifically) from all of our guests. My MIL was fairly nosy about this (asking exactly how much money certain people gave) and I feel that is confidential. So not having a gift opening solved that issue!

• MrsV1027
    Master October 2018
    MrsV1027 ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I'm in the midwest and I've never heard of this being a thing lol

• Mrs. Dujmovic
    Devoted July 2019
    Mrs. Dujmovic ·
    • Flag

We're having a morning after brunch but we're not opening gifts... I'd say immediate family and (if you want) wedding party

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics