We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Saxby
Beginner May 2021

May 30th wedding- when do you postpone?

Saxby, on March 16, 2020 at 12:04 AM Posted in Community Conversations 2 28
Saved Save
Reply
Looking for people specifically getting married on May 30th - are you thinking of postponing yet? waiting to hear more? Have you sent invites yet? Just looking for guidance during this stressful time. Hope you’re all staying healthy Smiley smile

28 Comments

  • Melissa
    Savvy October 2020
    Melissa ·
    • Flag
    Hey there- we are the weekend before- May 23. I have just started to get really anxious about it this weekend. Everyone is traveling from out of town, we don’t know what to do. As of right now our venue is not canceling anything but will allow us to postpone if we decide to do so. We are torn and we need to decide soon because of all the travel.
    • Reply
  • Dierdra
    Super November 2020
    Dierdra ·
    • Flag

    Personally I would hold off on postponing for a few more weeks. More than likely there will be a lot more known about the virus and travel requirements in the next week or two. If it will ease stress to contact all vendors and set up a rescheduled date then you have to do what is best for you. As long as your vendors aren't penalizing you for a reschedule I would wait until closer to the date to adjust.

    • Reply
  • G
    Just Said Yes May 2020
    Grace ·
    • Flag

    I'm getting married 5/30 in NJ and need to fly in for my own wedding. 85% of my 140 invited guests are from outside the NJ/NY area, so I mailed my invitations at the end of January. I'm already anticipating having a significantly smaller wedding than anticipated due to people not being able to travel, but now I'm wondering if I myself (and my fiance) will be able to fly in for our own wedding! We'll be married by the end of May either way, even if we have to go to the courthouse to do it, but I'm planning on talking to my venue about potential dates in the fall for a reception. But the idea of having do talk to every single vendor to make sure dates align... the headache makes me not want to postpone and cancel altogether if I can't make it. I'm a physician and I know we're in for the long haul with this epidemic.

    • Reply
  • A
    Expert May 2020
    Alex ·
    • Flag

    Mine is May 24th. I am waiting to see what the venue and other vendors are going to do in the next few weeks. My invitations are supposed to go out in two weeks and see what's going on before I send them. This situation is changing so quickly.

    • Reply
  • Saxby
    Beginner May 2021
    Saxby ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thanks for the replies all! I was going to send my invitations out next weekend, but I think I may wait an extra week or two. From what I’m reading, we will know a lot more in the next two weeks, and then hopefully we can all get some clarity and make the right decision. Hang in there everyone ❤️
    • Reply
  • Saxby
    Beginner May 2021
    Saxby ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

    Thanks for the reply. I think we will hold off on our wedding, but we both cancelled our bachelorette/bachelor parties which were scheduled for April 4th weekend, as well as our wedding shower scheduled for April 18th. Sigh. Trying to stay positive for the wedding however!

    • Reply
  • Dierdra
    Super November 2020
    Dierdra ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

    I wish you the best!

    • Reply
  • K
    Just Said Yes May 2020
    KC Bride ·
    • Flag

    I'm getting married on May 30th as well! We've started to reach out to our big vendors (church, reception venue, photographer) to get an idea of what availability they have in late fall should we need to reschedule. I am hoping to wait a few weeks to make a final decision as well (we are now also delaying sending invites out). Even rescheduling is hard with so many unknowns- I'm scared to pick a new date and then find out that the restrictions/precautions are still in place even then! I'm thinking of everyone during this tough time and glad to have a place to go to discuss wedding specific concerns Smiley smile

    • Reply
  • Courtney
    Dedicated July 2020
    Courtney ·
    • Flag

    My wedding is on May 30th too! I am really getting worried now. I already had to cancel my shower that was supposed to be this weekend. We called our wedding venue yesterday and they aren't canceling anything in May yet, they were hopeful that things will be calmer by then but no one really knows. I'm worried that we aren't going to get another date this year that works for our wedding party - we are all at that stage where it seems like ALL of our friends are getting married and i'm worried that i'll have to postpone it for a year, and I don't want to do that. I could of never imagined having this being a part of my wedding planning, but I know there are so many others that are in the same situation. It's just awful!

    • Reply
  • Saxby
    Beginner May 2021
    Saxby ·
    • Flag

    My honeymoon resort just cancelled our honeymoon and won't be back open until August 1 Smiley sad It's starting to feel like this is really not the wedding we have been planning since December 2018. No bachelorette, no shower, no catering tasting, no hair and makeup trial and now no honeymoon. I'm leaning heavily towards rescheduling. Even if things are back up and running by May 30th, I'm not going to get the wedding I planned already at this point.

    • Reply
  • G
    Just Said Yes May 2020
    Grace ·
    • Flag

    I'm on May 30th and am rescheduling for August 9th- the only date left in 2020 at my venue on a Saturday or Sunday. I hope things will be more settled by then to allow us to have it on our rescheduled date. Rescheduling was far less painful than I anticipated since my vendors were really understanding, and the vast majority are available on my new date (thankfully for the 2 that aren't available they had associates that could substitute).

    • Reply
  • Ashley
    Savvy July 2020
    Ashley ·
    • Flag

    Im suppose to be getting married May 30th, and I don't know what to do. I am so torn on waiting to postpone and just doing it. I don't want to postpone, but I need to follow the temporary laws that are set in place while keeping my family safe. Should I start to reach out to my vendors to have a game plan set just in case? Or do I wait a few weeks and see how it goes?

    • Reply
  • Tiffany
    Savvy May 2020
    Tiffany ·
    • Flag
    My wedding date was May 30th too. I decided to reschedule for August 29th wince that was one of the only days that all my vendors were free. I suggest calling to see what a back up plan would look like. I am in the DC area and everything is shutting down. I dont have a good feeling that things will be ready by May.
    • Reply
  • K
    Dedicated September 2020
    Kaci ·
    • Flag

    We were May 30th as well. However, Yesterday we made the hard decision to postpone until Sept. 5th, 2020

    It was the only day all our vendors were available. I would just say to keep an open mind and ask your vendors what days they have available. when we did this, and found out there was only one day that worked, we make the decision to postpone. we didn't want to wait until 2020.

    • Reply
  • Kari
    VIP May 2020
    Kari ·
    • Flag

    May 30th here. We sent out invites on March 16th and have already had 14 of our 80 guests RSVP "yes" to our original date. Currently our state in on "stay-at-home" orders until May 5th and the CDC eight week guidelines against groups of 50 or more would end May 9, three weeks before our wedding, which is when our headcount is due. Guests have been asked to RSVP by April 29.

    We think it's unlikely we will be able to have the wedding we planned, but are waiting until mid-to-late April to make a decision. All of our deposits are non-refundable so we feel there is little benefit to making any changes before we absolutely need to. We have invested so much time, energy, and emotion into planning our wedding so creating a Plan B only to need to create a Plan C only to have that not work is just too much for me at this point. I've gone over dozens of alternative scenarios in my head and all of them have some major drawbacks, so we don't want to make a call before we absolutely need to.

    Our vendors will not refund deposits but will apply them towards another date if the date is available. I reached out to our venue and they only have four dates for the remaining of the year if we changed our date (in July and October, which are less than ideal), so the likelihood of lining up all of our vendors on one of those dates is slim and I'm not even sure if things will improve by then. Pushing things back before we have to, only to have it still not work, would crush me. At this point, we'd rather just give the situation another 3 weeks or so before deciding.

    • Reply
  • E
    Just Said Yes May 2020
    Elise ·
    • Flag

    Hey All,

    Given the new date for recommended social distancing from Trump, it's now April 30th. For the May 30th brides, has anyone postponed yet? At this point, I think this timeline will make the logistics harder (final fitting for wedding dress is a big one that comes to mind). This is truly terrible, and I find a lot of people saying "oh well, it's only a wedding". When you've invested this much time, effort, and money, and it's been something you have been planning for years- it hurts when people try to minimize it.

    Stay strong!

    • Reply
  • E
    Beginner October 2020
    Erin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Hi! I have the same exact date (May 30th) in NJ as well. Me and my finance are holding off to make any final decisions until mid April. We have a back up date of October 2020. No matter what, I’m hoping to marry him on May 30th (with 10 and under people guidelines if able) Message me if you need anything or support! Are you getting married in North Jersey, central, or south? Because I think for NJ... that could also be a factor. Best of luck to you!
    • Reply
  • E
    Beginner October 2020
    Erin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Hi! I reached out to my dress place- my fitting is April 18th. They told me that they are working on my dress (closed or not closed) and it will be ready by my May 30th wedding date. I’m hoping to be able to wear the dress twice (once for my smaller ceremony which hopefully we will still be able to have and then again in October for our larger ceremony) if it comes to that. Best of luck to you!
    • Reply
  • D
    Domanisha ·
    • Flag
    My wedding is also May 30th. Nervous is not the word when you planning it for a year or so.
    I have my invitation but haven't sent them out yet.
    • Reply
  • Tiffany
    Savvy May 2020
    Tiffany ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

    Hi. We rescheduled for August 29. I am in maryland and yesterday DC, MD, and VA all went on Stay at Home orders. Most of my family lives in VA and their order is until June 10th, so half of my guest will not be able to come including my maid of honor if we did not move the date. I don't even think we can still get married on the 30th since all of the court houses are closed so no way to get our license at the the moment. Best of luck to you and your fiance.

    • Reply

Comment on this discussion

×

Related articles