Cristina
Devoted October 2020

Marriage coaching

Cristina, on February 6, 2020 at 7:13 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 6
Saved Save

Hello wedding planning crew! So we finally picked our officiant and they offered premarital counseling or coaching as he called it. We are considering doing it and there will be a few sessions. Question for those who have done it. Did you think it was worth it or find it helpful? What should I expect from it? What topics came up for you? Just want to know if it was worth it. Thank you!

6 Comments

• Alecia
    Dedicated November 2020
    Alecia ·
    • Flag
    My FH and I plan to do it with out officiant who is also our pastor. He told us that he has three topics to go over in our sessions and that's finances, sex, and communication. All of which are key points in a marriage. So while I haven't done it yet but will closer to the wedding, I think it's always for the best. In the end, if you didn't take anything away from it, no harm done right? It's always best in my opinion to get as much advice on making a commitment this big.
  • MOB So Cal
    January 2019
    MOB So Cal ·
    • Flag

Daughter and SIL thought it was really worthwhile. They'd been together for 7 years, but felt like they still learned a lot and found it fun. Their pastor had them read a few popular books (e.g. Love Languages, and some others). I've been married 32+ years and we did it before we married; unless the person providing the counseling is unqualified, I'm not really sure what the potential downside could be. Good luck!

• Tanyia
    Expert February 2020
    Tanyia ·
    • Flag

It's totally your own discretion. There are books you can read together as an alternative, but it doesn't hurt to go. You are not guaranteed marital success by going or not having gone,

• Clíodhna
    WeddingWire Administrator January 2030
    Clíodhna ·
    • Flag

Hey Cristina! These WeddingWire articles have a ton of information including benefits and what you can expect to discuss - 6 Surprising Benefits of Premarital Counseling and What You Should Be Talking About in Premarital Counseling.

• Ester
    Dedicated August 2020
    Ester ·
    • Flag

I just had my introduction meeting with our counselors and I am super excited. They will talk about many topics that you may or may not have discussed with your future partner. I think it will definitely be beneficial if you go with an open mind about learning more about your partner. They also have made us take personality tests, love language test, and spiritual giftings test to learn more of who we are as individuals. Based on that and the course material, they will go over the areas we are different in.

• Cassandra7
    Super August 2006
    Cassandra7 ·
    • Flag

What is this person's training and other qualifications for doing this work?

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics